By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Online dating, what do you think of it?

What do you think about online dating?

I've tried it and like it 11 28.95%

I've tried it and don't like it 6 15.79%

I've tried it unsuccessfu... 4 10.53%

I've never tried, and I t... 3 7.89%

I've never tried, but think I will 5 13.16%

other (please explain) 7 18.42%

See results 2 5.26%

Total:38

Ive never tried it, but im indifferent. i see no problem with other people using it, and i just havent felt the need to yet

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
VGPolyglot said:
I've never tried it myself, and to be honest I don't know if it's something I'll ever try, I don't like the idea of specifically looking out to get a girlfriend, I think the goal should be to befriend people first, then eventually work towards that if there is clearly something more there than that.

Agreed.

Rarely works, but when it does it's good.

Having a friend before a lover makes for a better lover.

Though yeah, gonna get friendzoned 99% of the time.

Well, I don't really feel the need to have a girlfriend either, I'm completely fine being single so that doesn't bother me.

curl-6 said:

For those of you who have found success in online dating, which apps/sites did you find most useful?

While it's not my own experience, my sister met her boyfriend on eHarmony, and they've been great together. She claimed to get a lot of...unpleasant messages on free sites, so I imagine girls will be more on their guard there. If I ever get around to trying it, I would probably use a paid site for that reason.

Not really in a hurry though. *watches his cat chase a string*

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

My experience has not been good with them, but I wonder if that had to do with my location (LA) and the type of sites I used (the freemium kind). I might give it another go soon with a new approach.

It's where I met my wife.

Did I say wife? I meant ex-wife, because she was fucking insane. Not even jokingly. Not in a mean way.

Actually, clinically mentally damaged. Like, "take 200mg of Clomipramine a day" damaged. She was so off that despite the danger of taking her medication during pregnancy, the OB/GYN determined that the stress she was suffering from by not taking the medication was harming my daughter more than the medicine would.

That said, the most important part of my life came about from a dating website. If given the opportunity, I would do it all over again.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I myself have tried many times, but I just can't find a nice christian girl my age to help populate my farm

LMAO 

The idea seems very strange to me. A person you can't really interact with unless you happen to live in the same city-region, dunno. Plus, it's something that's bound to be very trivial at best, not worth the try. Random chats are another story, they're fine when you're not willing to go outside and/or are interested in getting to know people from different countries or just want different kinds of conversations.  

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

curl-6 said:

For those of you who have found success in online dating, which apps/sites did you find most useful?

Keep in mind that it's been well over a decade, but I used Lavalife.com.  No idea what it's like these days.

VAMatt said:
zygote said:

The majority of people who go to online dating are people already absorbed in other social media and accustomed to wide variety and quick solutions. There are not many there worthy of an actual relationship because of this. Maybe a few, but with the prior types dominating the sites, the chances that you’ll get to them before everyone else ruins their morals and psychology is very slim. Nice to cure lonliness or build confidence on occasion though or make them worse depending on your situation. If it makes it worse, then you are definitely not benefiting and looking in the wrong place.

I didn't find this at all.  In fact, this is totally wrong, based on my experience.  I found people of all types, backgrounds, ethnicities, socio-economic status, etc.  It seems to be just a basic cross section of that population.  

I have found a couple of gems, but at the end of the day most get bored easily.  I would say 1/30 is a decent individual on some level. Too many people are spoiled by technology and numerous options.  If a person is not as involved with all the options, is more likely to not be addicted to the options.  That is just psychological sense.

never tried it, but i think if i would be single i could be something i would try out

curl-6 said:

I mostly used free sites.  At the time, the big ones were Plenty of Fish and OK Cupid.  I met my wife on PoF.  My sister met her husband on Match.com.  I've known other people to do well with both free and paid sites.