By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Online dating, what do you think of it?

What do you think about online dating?

I've tried it and like it 11 28.95%

I've tried it and don't like it 6 15.79%

I've tried it unsuccessfu... 4 10.53%

I've never tried, and I t... 3 7.89%

I've never tried, but think I will 5 13.16%

other (please explain) 7 18.42%

See results 2 5.26%

Total:38

The problem is that the odds just seem incredibly unfavourable if you're a guy who doesn't look like Channing Tatum.

Women have a veritably endless smorgasbord of men to choose from on dating sites, so there's simply no reason for them to ever give me a go when thousands of hotter guys are just a swipe away.

It's like being a mediocre third party port on a Nintendo system, why would people buy you when they get get the amazing first party exclusives instead.

Around the Network

I'm not interested in trying it first cause I am simply not looking for a relationship and second cause online dating is not safe. It's a good way to find trouble I don't need or care for.
It's bad enough when you are totally anonymous, you can be threatened, harassed, doxed, swatted etc... But actually putting your real self, name, face and so on out there in this jungle that is the internet is a call for trouble.

And assuming all goes well and you simply meet people you still are not safe from everything that meeting people entails. All the pains, heartbreaks, betrayals that go with relationships... No thanks. Risking my virtual life killing monsters in video games is more than enough adventure for me.

curl-6 said:

The problem is that the odds just seem incredibly unfavourable if you're a guy who doesn't look like Channing Tatum.

Women have a veritably endless smorgasbord of men to choose from on dating sites, so there's simply no reason for them to ever give me a go when thousands of hotter guys are just a swipe away.

It's like being a mediocre third party port on a Nintendo system, why would people buy you when they get get the amazing first party exclusives instead.

You aren't giving me much faith in trying it out haha. I take bad pictures too, and managed last place in VGC most attractive. All the confidence in the world didn't help me out.

Maybe we got to hire professional photographers and stylists to have a chance.

CrazyGamer2017 said:

I'm not interested in trying it first cause I am simply not looking for a relationship and second cause online dating is not safe. It's a good way to find trouble I don't need or care for.
It's bad enough when you are totally anonymous, you can be threatened, harassed, doxed, swatted etc... But actually putting your real self, name, face and so on out there in this jungle that is the internet is a call for trouble.

And assuming all goes well and you simply meet people you still are not safe from everything that meeting people entails. All the pains, heartbreaks, betrayals that go with relationships... No thanks. Risking my virtual life killing monsters in video games is more than enough adventure for me.

This is really sad way to look at life.  

VAMatt said:

I was going for a safe way to look at life. Every way of life is a choice with pros and cons.

While you consider my way sad, I choose this way over all the worries that go with a more social life. Maybe to the average joe, risking betrayal, emotional destruction due to the loved one hurting you in a million possible ways, financial ruin (divorce, lawyers) your kids taken away from you (See the movie Mrs Doubtfire for the perfect example of what I mean) etc. Well all that may be acceptable risk to the average joe but not to me. I simply don't want to go through all that stuff, it would kill me.

And that's not even mentioning the fact that even if all goes well in a relationship and you have kids and all that, you will completely lose control of your finances. Being single I have 100% of the power to decide how I spend my money, I am in total control of my financial situation but having a family means I am responsible for the well being of children and also for my wife and as such I cannot choose how I spend my money. I must buy clothes for our kids, I must take them to the doctor and make sure they are healthy, I must buy good (meaning expensive) food so that my kids eat healthy, I must buy them stuff (TV, computers, games, toys etc...) cause why have kids if you are going to deprive them of the stuff their friends will have aplenty. I must take them on holidays at least once a year and I think you guys know how expensive that can be (Ticket planes for a family, hotel, food, stuff you do, car rental etc)

So when I see in the news or in documentaries how so many people can barely sustain their family, pay their rent and sometimes you see them on the edge of crying cause they can't even pay for a decent life for their kids, well that's when I know I made the right responsible choice and when I look at them I believe their plight is the REAL sad situation.

Around the Network

No different then meeting up with a stranger in a bar lol. Prob safer.

curl-6 said:

Some odd individuals buy those games and some women might be interested in you. However ugly or handsome you might be, that is not the only thing that people want from a partner. Some might care quite little about how you look and some might be worried that they are not beautiful enough for men and might think the same way as you. World isn´t just full of women dating only the hottest and sexiest men. Men just seem to be more active on dating sites, because that is also what the society tells us, man should ask woman to a date and possible pay (or at least split) the bill.

CrazyGamer2017 said:
VAMatt said:

I was going for a safe way to look at life. Every way of life is a choice with pros and cons.

While you consider my way sad, I choose this way over all the worries that go with a more social life. Maybe to the average joe, risking betrayal, emotional destruction due to the loved one hurting you in a million possible ways, financial ruin (divorce, lawyers) your kids taken away from you (See the movie Mrs Doubtfire for the perfect example of what I mean) etc. Well all that may be acceptable risk to the average joe but not to me. I simply don't want to go through all that stuff, it would kill me.

And that's not even mentioning the fact that even if all goes well in a relationship and you have kids and all that, you will completely lose control of your finances. Being single I have 100% of the power to decide how I spend my money, I am in total control of my financial situation but having a family means I am responsible for the well being of children and also for my wife and as such I cannot choose how I spend my money. I must buy clothes for our kids, I must take them to the doctor and make sure they are healthy, I must buy good (meaning expensive) food so that my kids eat healthy, I must buy them stuff (TV, computers, games, toys etc...) cause why have kids if you are going to deprive them of the stuff their friends will have aplenty. I must take them on holidays at least once a year and I think you guys know how expensive that can be (Ticket planes for a family, hotel, food, stuff you do, car rental etc)

So when I see in the news or in documentaries how so many people can barely sustain their family, pay their rent and sometimes you see them on the edge of crying cause they can't even pay for a decent life for their kids, well that's when I know I made the right responsible choice and when I look at them I believe their plight is the REAL sad situation.

That´s fear talking and that is a bad way of living, it doesn´t lead to good things. You can be cautious, but worrying about all the things that can or could happen can destroy people. People don´t have to have families or relationships, but if they want to be loved or love someone and maybe have children, then they shouldn´t let illogical fear be in the way.

Money and being of control of how you spend it, is a poor substitute for what good relationships can bring to your life. There will be always be problems and all kinds of bad things will happen, but the important thing is how you approach them and deal with them. Fear is not the answer as someone wiser than me said:

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

– Yoda

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
curl-6 said:

What about the girls that dont look like Scarlet Johansen ?  Its incredibly unfavourable for them too :P

Less favourable than for the hot ones, yes, but even girls that look average get a fair amount of attention, much more so than an average looking man. They may have trouble getting an above-average guy to commit to them in a serious relationship, but at least they can get laid with ease, which is more than can be said for their male equivalent. I realize that may sound bitter, but it's just the way things are; supply and demand.

PSintend0 said:
curl-6 said:

Some odd individuals buy those games and some women might be interested in you. However ugly or handsome you might be, that is not the only thing that people want from a partner. Some might care quite little about how you look and some might be worried that they are not beautiful enough for men and might think the same way as you. World isn´t just full of women dating only the hottest and sexiest men. Men just seem to be more active on dating sites, because that is also what the society tells us, man should ask woman to a date and possible pay (or at least split) the bill.

Cheers. If I had to guess I'd say men outnumber women at least 3 to 1 on most dating sites, which naturally means some guys will be left over. The dating scene functions much like the marketplace. It's a buyer's market, a woman on a dating site typically receives dozens of messages from guys a day, from which she can choose the one she prefers. Demand for women exceeds supply, hence their value skyrockets. Men on the other hand are supplied far in excess of demand, flooding the market and reducing their value.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 15 April 2018

curl-6 said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

What about the girls that dont look like Scarlet Johansen ?  Its incredibly unfavourable for them too :P

Less favourable than for the hot ones, yes, but even girls that look average get a fair amount of attention, much more so than an average looking man. They may have trouble getting an above-average guy to commit to them in a serious relationship, but at least they can get laid with ease, which is more than can be said for their male equivalent.

Just be careful about the path that you could go down, that can lead to disastrous results (Marc Lépine and Elliott Rodger being the extreme examples). Just make sure to not have a sense of animosity towards women as a result of this, remember that they're humans too and they just want to be happy like us.