By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Yo-kai Watch 4 announced for Switch, releases 2018 In Japan

tak13 said:

Ulternia said:

The three versions did 1.9M combined physical. It wasn’t great, but the 3DS hasn’t been doing so hot with software lately in Japan and their hardware numbers are pretty low. US/UM only did 1.6M (granted they’re basically “complete” versions of the previous entry), but it goes to show how quickly 3DS software is in decline and show that Yokai Watch isn’t in quite as dire a situation as some make it out to be.

They always release screenshots of the game first in CoroCoro Magazine and we’ll probably get some footage from Japanese commercials sometime in May. Yokai Watch has never gotten its own direct and the localizations are usually just a quick segment since Nintendo published them previously.

2.2m so far...

You ignore the 300k packs sold containing both of the games.

I completely forgot about them - I was just using the latest chart. Still, 2.2M for the newest Pokemon game in Japan is fantastic, but it’s far below the abilities of the series and shows how the software for the 3DS is already dying a pretty natural death. I think we’ll see much better returns when these series show up on the Switch (or at least a much slower rate of decline for Yokai Watch).

Around the Network

If it is based on that new anime then we could be in for a bit of an art style shift in the new game and perhaps a mild tone adjustment. If they really do go all out, this could give the series a nice injection of new life.

Ulternia said:
tak13 said:

2.2m so far...

I completely forgot about them - I was just using the latest chart. Still, 2.2M for the newest Pokemon game in Japan is fantastic, but it’s far below the abilities of the series and shows how the software for the 3DS is already dying a pretty natural death. I think we’ll see much better returns when these series show up on the Switch (or at least a much slower rate of decline for Yokai Watch).

It's not your fault, but the @ck@ng superior sales tracker media create which tracks them separately  ( not only that, also they do the egregious thing of  counting it as 1 copy sold ) ...

Third versions/sequels of main pokemon games sell the half of the sales of the first two installments ( this trend started since 3rd gen ) something that many people were doubting that will be repeated with us/um.

Level 5 mishandling of the franchise is responsible for the decline, when you release a new game then its third version with negligible differences in six months and in another six months the sequel, plus the spin off games in between, you burn the franchise.

As for yw on switch, I agree that we might see a  considerable sales resurgence from the last title on 3ds.                                                                                           Switch is  a hybrid console, so you will be able to play a core yw for the first time ever on tv, perhaps a HD game and being the first installment on the newly much popular switch.

Howbeit,yw were 39$ dollars costing games ( with a fairly big portion of its audience being kids ) on a 199$ gaming device, this time they will  probably be 60$ games on a 299$ gaming device, a console that is both handheld and home one (+tabletop mode ) though!

Last edited by tak13 - on 12 April 2018

Ulternia said:
Cloudman said:
I'm wondering if Yokai Watch is still popular in Japan. After releasing all those different versions and spin-offs, it sort of looked like the series was starting to lose some steam. It'll be interesting to see the sales of this one, and what the change up for this sequel.

The three versions did 1.9M combined physical. It wasn’t great, but the 3DS hasn’t been doing so hot with software lately in Japan and their hardware numbers are pretty low. US/UM only did 1.6M (granted they’re basically “complete” versions of the previous entry), but it goes to show how quickly 3DS software is in decline and show that Yokai Watch isn’t in quite as dire a situation as some make it out to be.

The 3DS is still going on now 2 years later with support from 1st and 3rd party, so I still have my doubts as to whether YW is still as popular as its earlier days. If I recall, other YW titles released after 3 had rather rather lower sales than usual. Though it could end up having great sales on the Switch, which I am eager to see how the 4th title will do.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

zorg1000 said:
Nem said:

Yokai watch wasn't even released in the west was it? Looking at those adds, maybe they are soft rebooting the series with a new cast.

Yes it was, the first 2 games along with the anime made it over. YW3 will probably come over this fall.

I meant to say Yo-kai watch 3. Guess the "3" input didn't register. 

Is it actually announced though? Cause given the time it took to localise the first two, it's possible it won't.

But as i said, it looks like a reboot, so it probably wont be required to be up to date with the series.

Around the Network
Nem said:
zorg1000 said:

Yes it was, the first 2 games along with the anime made it over. YW3 will probably come over this fall.

Is it actually announced though? Cause given the time it took to localise the first two, it's possible it won't.

But as i said, it looks like a reboot, so it probably wont be required to be up to date with the series.

It hasnt been confirmed yet but Yokai Watch Busters is getting localized later this year so i would assume YW3 is coming, either this Fall or sometime next year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Ulternia said:
tak13 said:

2.2m so far...

Have you looked at sales of previous generations expanded releases?

Yellow-3.12m

Crystal-1.29m

Emerald-2.06m

Platinum-2.69m

Black/White 2-3.16m

Average-2.46m

Ultra Sun/Moon-2.20m (still growing)

US/UM is ahead of Crystal & Emerald but far behind Yellow and B2/W2 and once its done selling it will be similar to Platinum and the average.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Cerebralbore101 said:
From what I understand, the Yokai games are full of padding, and grinding. I tried the demo, and the world was cool, but the automatic combat

Sounds like a nice deal if you like Xenoblade games. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Metallox said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
From what I understand, the Yokai games are full of padding, and grinding. I tried the demo, and the world was cool, but the automatic combat

Sounds like a nice deal if you like Xenoblade games. 

No Xenoblade shading allowed here

:p

Maybe I should give a try to a Yo-kai game :p

tak13 said:
Ulternia said:

It's not your fault, but the @ck@ng superior sales tracker media create which tracks them separately  ( not only that, also they do the egregious thing of  counting it as 1 copy sold ) ...

Third versions/sequels of main pokemon games sell the half of the sales of the first two installments ( this trend started since 3rd gen ) something that many people were doubting that will be repeated with us/um.

Level 5 mishandling of the franchise is responsible for the decline, when you release a new game then its third version with negligible differences in six months and in another six months the sequel, plus the spin off games in between, you burn the franchise.

As for yw on switch, I agree that we might see a  considerable sales resurgence from the last title on 3ds.                                                                                           Switch is  a hybrid console, so you will be able to play a core yw for the first time ever on tv, perhaps a HD game and being the first installment on the newly much popular switch.

Howbeit,yw were 39$ dollars costing games ( with a fairly big portion of its audience being kids ) on a 199$ gaming device, this time they will  probably be 60$ games on a 299$ gaming device, a console that is both handheld and home one (+tabletop mode ) though!

I agree that Level-5’s mishandling is to blame. The games lack elemental attributes, the games release too often, too many Yokai are just skins of other Yokai, there are over a hundred different -nyan Yokai, there is no overall plot in the series, the anime is horribly done, the global merchandise is incredibly secretive and rare, the third entry switched to an SRPG, etc. I’m hoping Shadowside adds a more serious element, darker themes, better gameplay (in the vein of Ni No Kuni) and more variety while maintaining the integrity and quality of the original series.

Cloudman said:
Ulternia said:

The 3DS is still going on now 2 years later with support from 1st and 3rd party, so I still have my doubts as to whether YW is still as popular as its earlier days. If I recall, other YW titles released after 3 had rather rather lower sales than usual. Though it could end up having great sales on the Switch, which I am eager to see how the 4th title will do.

It’s important to note the fourth could also bomb. It’s a huge final shift but I’m glad to see Level-5 is willing to experiment with a great series.

Nem said:
zorg1000 said:

3 and Busters are being localized now. The original anime series just ended last week in Japan and we’re like 150+ episodes behind. I’m not sure America would even be able to catch up before Shadowside 2 (YW5) releases in Japan.

zorg1000 said:
Ulternia said:

Have you looked at sales of previous generations expanded releases?

Yellow-3.12m

Crystal-1.29m

Emerald-2.06m

Platinum-2.69m

Black/White 2-3.16m

Average-2.46m

Ultra Sun/Moon-2.20m (still growing)

US/UM is ahead of Crystal & Emerald but far behind Yellow and B2/W2 and once its done selling it will be similar to Platinum and the average.

The important thing to note is US/UM is a two-version release. B2/W2 was considered a disappointment at its time, and I don’t think US/UM are living up to the potential of the series. But this is a little off the topic. I only brought up Pokémon to show how even handheld’s flagship franchise is on a decline on the 3DS (in comparison to Pokemon’s impossibly high standards - obviously the games are still smashing in comparison to other releases).