By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Yo-kai Watch 4 announced for Switch, releases 2018 In Japan

Ulternia said:

The important thing to note is US/UM is a two-version release. B2/W2 was considered a disappointment at its time, and I don’t think US/UM are living up to the potential of the series. But this is a little off the topic. I only brought up Pokémon to show how even handheld’s flagship franchise is on a decline on the 3DS (in comparison to Pokemon’s impossibly high standards - obviously the games are still smashing in comparison to other releases).

B2/W2 was a disappointment to who?

US/UM did worse than Platinum & B/W2 but that was to be expected since the 3DS entries in general sold less than the DS entries.

D/P-6.04 vs X/Y-4.40m

HG/SS-3.96m vs OR/AS-3.15m

B/W-5.66m vs S/M-3.80m

B2/W2-3.15m vs US/UM-2.20m

That shows US/UM didnt decline because of 3DS hardware dying, its because the franchise as a whole declined.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Jranation said:
Pavolink said:
No footage?
Maybe a new direct next month or until E3 to see it?

Does Japan get a separate e3 Nintendo direct? Or theres only 1? (In english)

Afaik, it's the same. Directs are the ones that sometimes are different 

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Won't lie, like Labo my only interest in this series be it's effect on hardware sales. In Japan Switch is doing worse than 3DS was at this point in it's life, really hope that changes soon, and perhaps this game will help.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Won't lie, like Labo my only interest in this series be it's effect on hardware sales. In Japan Switch is doing worse than 3DS was at this point in it's life, really hope that changes soon, and perhaps this game will help.

3DS had already received a price reduction though.  So it was selling more, but I would not say the Switch is any less healthy.

Nuvendil said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

3DS had already received a price reduction though.  So it was selling more, but I would not say the Switch is any less healthy.

Yeah, the Switch is still $300 and the big titles are $60. I can't imagine Nintendo breaking a sweat at this point in comparison with the 3DS situation when they were reporting their first loss in decades with a $250 system that was selling $40 games.

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Ya Switch has fallen behind 3DS quite a bit since the price cut, its consistently done 40-50k for the last 13 weeks which isnt amazing but still far from bad.

I think 3DS getting a big price cut in year 1 and its first revision in year 2 caused its sales to be somewhat frontloaded.

2011-4.3m

2012-5.5m

2013-5.1m

2014-3.1m

2015-2.2m

2016-1.9m

2017-1.7m

The first 3 years averaged ~5m then a large drop to ~3m in year 4 followed by an average of just under 2m in years 5-7.

If Nintendo can hold off on price cuts/revisions until year 3 than that bodes well for a much softer decline in year 4/5.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Nuvendil said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

I would of liked to think everything the Switch has going for it like better concept/line-up/marketing/etc. is near equal in value to the 3DS price cut. While there were still shortages I thought this could be the case, but alas, what the Switch is selling now the 3DS sold double. I'd still like to think it's possible Switch can match 3DS before getting it's own price cut. Labo and now Yokai are our only hope!

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Nuvendil said:

I would of liked to think everything the Switch has going for it like better concept/line-up/marketing/etc. is near equal in value to the 3DS price cut. While there were still shortages I thought this could be the case, but alas, what the Switch is selling now the 3DS sold double. I'd still like to think it's possible Switch can match 3DS before getting it's own price cut. Labo and now Yokai are our only hope!

I knew it!

You're partially right, howbeit you have to take into consideration ome parameters.

There must be some Japanese that aren't interested in home gaming on tv, even though they should, switch it's both home and handheld console only for 299$. Hence, there will be a solution in the future by Nintendo for these people.

As for game line up,  in the current  hardware sales comparison switch only advantage over 3ds is splatoon, 3ds had a 3d zmario and Mario kart too, unless you mean that the superiority of these games on switch at least in graphics due to switch way more powerful  hardware over 3ds is enough to convince them expending 60$ for the games and 299$,  but again how many japanese 3ds owners care for that?

Lastly, better marketing makes no difference, it's Japan and switch is supposed to be 3ds successor too...

All these are huge advantages over 3ds in the west, notably in NA, ( thus switch outpaces 3ds there and matches its  sales EU ) but in Japan maybe not so much.

Last edited by tak13 - on 13 April 2018

Metallox said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
From what I understand, the Yokai games are full of padding, and grinding. I tried the demo, and the world was cool, but the automatic combat

Sounds like a nice deal if you like Xenoblade games. 

Xenoblade just had optional grinding for people who wanted to enjoy late game. Nothing wrong with that. Although I do agree that the padding from opening cores, and sending merc missions out should have been reduced. Nobody wants to watch the same animation 500 times. 

tak13 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

I knew it!

You're partially right, howbeit you have to take into consideration ome parameters.

There must be some Japanese that aren't interested in home gaming on tv, even though they should, switch it's both home and handheld console only for 299$. Hence, there will be a solution in the future by Nintendo for these people.

As for game line up,  in the current  hardware sales comparison switch only advantage over 3ds is splatoon, 3ds had a 3d zmario and Mario kart too, unless you mean that the superiority of these games on switch at least in graphics due to switch way more powerful  hardware over 3ds is enough to convince them expending 60$ for the games and 299$,  but again how many japanese 3ds owners care for that?

Lastly, better marketing makes no difference, it's Japan and switch is supposed to be 3ds successor too...

All these are huge advantages over 3ds in the west, notably in NA, ( thus switch outpaces 3ds there and matches its  sales EU ) but in Japan maybe not so much.

The option to play on TV even if they don't utilize it that much and local multiplayer on the go are surely a lot more valuable than 3D, so I still think the concept is a significant advantage.

Splatoon alone is a huge advantage, but I will admit I don't actually know the 3DS' full line-up in Japan. It was surely different than the West i.e. Fire Emblem Awakening releasing a year earlier, so it may not have had droughts.

I don't see how it being Japan and Switch being 3DS' successor means the quality of marketing is irrelevant. However I will again admit that I don't know what the 3DS advertisements were like in Japan and if they focused heavily on kids or not. This one may not really be an advantage at all.

But overall yeah, I was clearly wrong to think these advantages could have an effect as great as the 3DS' huge price cut.