By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PS4 really should have backwards compatibility!

reviniente said:
CGI-Quality said:

There isn’t any lesson to ‘learn’. Backwards compatibility is hardly a pendulum swinger. It’s proven to be a nice feature, but largely irrelevant in the grand scheme.

I'm sure that, if this 'nice [...] but largely irrelevant' feature is not announced for the PS5, we'll be happy all the same.

I won’t care, even if you do. I buy new consoles to play new games. BC is a nice touch, but not a necessity.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
reviniente said:

I'm sure that, if this 'nice [...] but largely irrelevant' feature is not announced for the PS5, we'll be happy all the same.

I won’t care, even if you do. I buy new consoles to play new games. BC is a nice touch, but not a necessity.

It's a lot of things like this that combine to add value to the console.

VGPolyglot said:
CGI-Quality said:

For you, that’s great. For me, it matters none.

CGI-Quality said:
VGPolyglot said:

I don't see where you're going with this.

VGPolyglot said:
CGI-Quality said:

Going with what? You mention value. That’s up to the individual. You value BC in your console. Me? Not needed. Where’s the issue?

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
VGPolyglot said:

Going with what? You mention value. That’s up to the individual. You value BC in your console. Me? Not needed. Where’s the issue?

With it being largely irrelevant, I don't understand how with you not using it personally that makes it irrelevant. I don't play online but I'd hardly consider online play irrelevant.

VGPolyglot said:
CGI-Quality said:

With it being largely irrelevant, I don't understand how with you not using it personally that makes it irrelevant. I don't play online but I'd hardly consider online play irrelevant.

Regarding console sales, and the generation’s bottom line, it’s been largely irrelevant. Some people want it, but it hasn’t been a game changer. 

CGI-Quality said:
VGPolyglot said:

Regarding console sales, and the generation’s bottom line, it’s been largely irrelevant. Some people want it, but it hasn’t been a game changer. Totally separate from my personal need. 

Well, that's impossible to truly tell since we can't really look into an alternate scenario where the PS4 had backwards compatibility, and how its sales would be different.

John2290 said:
Thechalkblock said:

speak for yourself. it isn’t dumb to enjoy games that are more than 6 years old. enjoying a game is enjoying a game, and claiming that having the convenience to enjoy older games is “dumb shit” is both unfounded and ignorant.

Then keep your older consoles, don't make the rest of us pay for you not doing so. I'd rather resources go into the future of games on new hardware, thanks.

Are you part of some sort of collective? How does backwards compatibility affect your bottom line? Are you even suggesting that God of War or Spider-Man [sigh] would've never seen the light of day, had 'resources' been allocated to backwards compatibility? Is SONY that cash strapped?

VGPolyglot said:
CGI-Quality said:

Regarding console sales, and the generation’s bottom line, it’s been largely irrelevant. Some people want it, but it hasn’t been a game changer. Totally separate from my personal need. 

Well, that's impossible to truly tell since we can't really look into an alternate scenario where the PS4 had backwards compatibility, and how its sales would be different.

It’s not impossible to deduce from the current ratio of sales for a console with it to a console without it. Just a good read on the numbers available. In the grand scheme, backwards compatibility (or lack there of) hasn’t slowed PS4 sales or been a needle mover in any substantial way.