By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PS4 really should have backwards compatibility!

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I always said "correlate".  I never said "cause".

You didn't have to.

DonFerrari said:

X1 and X1X got BC (for over a year) and the needle didn't move as well. You are acting just as Liquid Laser on supposing there is this big market on consoles where BC is a very important aspect.

BC is a convinience, but so far haven't ever be really major. Most people go there and buy less than 10 games on a full generation, still probably almost a million end up buying 100 games... the market still focus more on the other 99% of the market.

I never made the assertion that the market for backwards compatibility is game changing. I just made the assertion that there is a market.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

I have about 10 ps3 games I never completed and my ps3 is up the clacker...I’m too lazy to buy another. Backward compatibility is something I can live without but would also welcome at the same time. I get why some systems don’t offer it (switch for obvious reasons though even that would be nice if they offered some kind of free download option to those that already purchased certain games) but, to me, there’s no excuse for the PS4. Btw I nowown about 10 PS4 games I have yet to play and god knows if I will, so backwards compatibility would also be nice on Sony’s next console.

the main problem is the PS4 is an overwhelming success so Sony don’t need to offer such a feature. Had the PS4 failed they may have introduced backward compatibility to attract consumers which is what Microsoft did with xbone...

DonFerrari said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

What is this "strong evidence" you speak of?  Please be specific.  It's already clear that the majority of winners have BC, and the majority of losers don't have BC.  You must be referring to something else.  What is it?

Majority of something happening for two variables don't correlate them...

Or let's say if you found that majority of bald white man are fat, while majority of slim white man have hair would you say being fat and bald are correlated??? That is a very false scientific way that facebook posts use.

I am still waiting for this "strong evidence" you were talking about.  Instead you gave a made up example.

John2290 said:
No. More reasons to go on time wasting nostalgia trips down gamery lane that lead nowhere but disappointment or take a chance on a widely popular series you never tried only to find it has aged like dog shite all the while new games pile up. Fuck that, there is enough new games, we don't need to replay old games. I really like this new console full reset, keeps me from doing dumb shit like that and I'm sure Sony realize this too, better to have people playing new games than old games. Just gotta remember to keep your PS4 next time when buying the PS5 and you're golden.

speak for yourself. it isn’t dumb to enjoy games that are more than 6 years old. enjoying a game is enjoying a game, and claiming that having the convenience to enjoy older games is “dumb shit” is both unfounded and ignorant.

Gotta say this thread is pretty painful to read through, great to see that some people think that their opinions and how they enjoy gaming are the only way to do so.

People being different and enjoying different things makes the world what it is.

Would be nice if the PS4 could do BC btw, but given the hardware, costs and fact that Sony sell PS1/2/3 games via re-releases on the store or through the psnow service I really can't see them taking time to code up the ability to get this feature for free if you own the old disc's still, it would cost them money for an end result of costing them money.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

It would be really nice, would make it easier to replay some of my favourite games.

Pemalite said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I always said "correlate".  I never said "cause".

You didn't have to.

DonFerrari said:

X1 and X1X got BC (for over a year) and the needle didn't move as well. You are acting just as Liquid Laser on supposing there is this big market on consoles where BC is a very important aspect.

BC is a convinience, but so far haven't ever be really major. Most people go there and buy less than 10 games on a full generation, still probably almost a million end up buying 100 games... the market still focus more on the other 99% of the market.

I never made the assertion that the market for backwards compatibility is game changing. I just made the assertion that there is a market.

You made the assertion that there are MILLIONS of costumers wanting BC, that should have moved the needle when X1 enabled BC, didn't happen. Sure there may be millions that would use (seems like from X1 that most didn't put more than 30m on it).

The_Liquid_Laser said:
DonFerrari said:

Majority of something happening for two variables don't correlate them...

Or let's say if you found that majority of bald white man are fat, while majority of slim white man have hair would you say being fat and bald are correlated??? That is a very false scientific way that facebook posts use.

I am still waiting for this "strong evidence" you were talking about.  Instead you gave a made up example.

It may be because you never had a strong evidence of the occurrence to even need any strong evidence of the opposite. You shall remember that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, because that is still what you are doing when you try to infer that there is a strong correlation.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Pemalite said:

You didn't have to.

You made the assertion that there are MILLIONS of costumers wanting BC, that should have moved the needle when X1 enabled BC, didn't happen. Sure there may be millions that would use (seems like from X1 that most didn't put more than 30m on it).

The_Liquid_Laser said:

It may be because you never had a strong evidence of the occurrence to even need any strong evidence of the opposite. You shall remember that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, because that is still what you are doing when you try to infer that there is a strong correlation.

The evidence is very clear.  It is silly to deny it.  In fact you acknowledged the evidence in a previous post, when you said the correlated items are unrelated.  Now you are going back on this and saying that there isn't any evidence.  Maybe try having a consistent argument next time.

John2290 said:
Thechalkblock said:

speak for yourself. it isn’t dumb to enjoy games that are more than 6 years old. enjoying a game is enjoying a game, and claiming that having the convenience to enjoy older games is “dumb shit” is both unfounded and ignorant.

Then keep your older consoles, don't make the rest of us pay for you not doing so. I'd rather resources go into the future of games on new hardware, thanks.

Are you a Sony shareholder? If not you don't have to pay anything for them to implement backwards compatibility. And I do keep my older consoles, I said in my OP that I still have my PS3.

John2290 said:
Thechalkblock said:

Then keep your older consoles, don't make the rest of us pay for you not doing so. I'd rather resources go into the future of games on new hardware, thanks.

please knock that shit off. A lot of don't want to keep 10 consoles plugged in all time. It takes little to nothing for BC, and it this wont prevent any new game from not coning out.

If you have a problem with it, then don't buy the console.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.