By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PS4 really should have backwards compatibility!

John2290 said:
No. More reasons to go on time wasting nostalgia trips down gamery lane that lead nowhere but disappointment or take a chance on a widely popular series you never tried only to find it has aged like dog shite all the while new games pile up. Fuck that, there is enough new games, we don't need to replay old games. I really like this new console full reset, keeps me from doing dumb shit like that and I'm sure Sony realize this too, better to have people playing new games than old games. Just gotta remember to keep your PS4 next time when buying the PS5 and you're golden.

You just gave retro gaming and it's legions of fans the middle finger. Also, congratulations are in order, as you now have a BA in damage control.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
I agree. Most gamers agree. Sony... on the other hand, does not. Why? They had PS Now to sell and that was suppose to be the hook. They were going to leverage BC so you'd buy into it. It didn't end up working that way and when Microsoft showed the world that it was easy to do, even via emulation, Sony ended up being as exposed as a new born baby.

Hopefully they learned their lesson and the PS5 will be full hardware BC and we shall never speak of this bullshit again.

There isn’t any lesson to ‘learn’. Backwards compatibility is hardly a pendulum swinger. It’s proven to be a nice feature, but largely irrelevant in the grand scheme.

I'm sure that, if this 'nice [...] but largely irrelevant' feature is not announced for the PS5, we'll be happy all the same.

CGI-Quality said:
reviniente said:

I'm sure that, if this 'nice [...] but largely irrelevant' feature is not announced for the PS5, we'll be happy all the same.

I won’t care, even if you do. I buy new consoles to play new games. BC is a nice touch, but not a necessity.

It's a lot of things like this that combine to add value to the console.

CGI-Quality said:
VGPolyglot said:

It's a lot of things like this that combine to add value to the console.

For you, that’s great. For me, it matters none.

I don't see where you're going with this.

CGI-Quality said:
VGPolyglot said:

I don't see where you're going with this.

Going with what? You mention value. That’s up to the individual. You value BC in your console. Me? Not needed. Where’s the issue?

With it being largely irrelevant, I don't understand how with you not using it personally that makes it irrelevant. I don't play online but I'd hardly consider online play irrelevant.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
VGPolyglot said:

With it being largely irrelevant, I don't understand how with you not using it personally that makes it irrelevant. I don't play online but I'd hardly consider online play irrelevant.

Regarding console sales, and the generation’s bottom line, it’s been largely irrelevant. Some people want it, but it hasn’t been a game changer. Totally separate from my personal need. 

Well, that's impossible to truly tell since we can't really look into an alternate scenario where the PS4 had backwards compatibility, and how its sales would be different.

John2290 said:
Thechalkblock said:

speak for yourself. it isn’t dumb to enjoy games that are more than 6 years old. enjoying a game is enjoying a game, and claiming that having the convenience to enjoy older games is “dumb shit” is both unfounded and ignorant.

Then keep your older consoles, don't make the rest of us pay for you not doing so. I'd rather resources go into the future of games on new hardware, thanks.

Are you part of some sort of collective? How does backwards compatibility affect your bottom line? Are you even suggesting that God of War or Spider-Man [sigh] would've never seen the light of day, had 'resources' been allocated to backwards compatibility? Is SONY that cash strapped?

CGI-Quality said:
VGPolyglot said:

Well, that's impossible to truly tell since we can't really look into an alternate scenario where the PS4 had backwards compatibility, and how its sales would be different.

It’s not impossible to deduce from the current ratio of sales for a console with it to a console without it. Just a good read on the numbers available. In the grand scheme, backwards compatibility (or lack there of) hasn’t slowed PS4 sales or been a needle mover in any substantial wsy.

As compared to the Xbox One?

I disagree. It is better to put focus and resources to make great new games. And remasters are the best way for iconic old games to get a new life.

DonFerrari said:
VGPolyglot said:

Are you a Sony shareholder? If not you don't have to pay anything for them to implement backwards compatibility. And I do keep my older consoles, I said in my OP that I still have my PS3.

It cost money to develop and make the BC on the console, the customers are the ones that are going to pay for it one way or another.

Ironically, the only ones paying (again, I might add) are the ones having to buy games they already own.