By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games That are Good at One Genre but Suck at Another

Tagged games:

There seems to be some mild confusion as to the parameters of what the op is asking. It's a good question, and I'm having a difficult time coming up with even a half-decent example.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
There seems to be some mild confusion as to the parameters of what the op is asking. It's a good question, and I'm having a difficult time coming up with even a half-decent example.

Hey dummy, you did it! Tekken 3! One of my favorite games of the 5th gen, and a brilliant fighting game also featured an, at the very best, mediocre single player, side scrolling adventure mode called Tekken Force Mode. It can probably be safely filed away in the "Sucks" folder.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Portal and Portal 2:
Great puzzle games, horrible shooters.

Half-Life 2:
Great shooter, horrible tower defense game.

Super Smash Bros. is a great fighting game but an absolute garbage sidescrolling platformer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

PwerlvlAmy said:
Halo good first person,terrible RTS. I know a lot of people like Halo Wars,but I felt it was just bad

It is ironically... Probably the best RTS on console.
And it actually has an amazing story for an RTS as well.

It did have to be compromised to make it a good experience on console controllers, so things like base building, unit control, resource management were extremely simplified, but that was probably a good thing in retrospect.

Of course, the FPS games are far better overall in my opinion... But anyone walking into Halo Wars expecting a StarCraft, Age of Empires or Supreme Commander experience was kidding themselves.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Most "open world" games, quite a few of them implement too many of these token mechanics to be taken in with any real depth ...

A lot of the games that try to add a "morality" system are often terrible social simulators and I don't think many of the open world games that are primarily shooter based can get melee combat correctly ...

Most of the RPGs that proclaim to be such also suck at the fundamentals since there's hardly any "specialized character classes" to "role-play" ... (most JRPGs would fall into this, I would say they are closer to "interactive adventures" but none of the point and click shit)

Devil May Cry 3 sucks as a platformer and rocks as a hack and slash game.

Uncharted sucks as a story game but rocks as a 3rd person shooter.

VGPolyglot said:
My life is a great survival horror game, but a horrible dating sim.

😂

fallout 3 and fallout new vegas.

great rpg elements, not so good shooting mechanics.

Final Fantasy VIII is a great story inside a terrible RPG.

Dark Souls is an awesome RPG but a terrible action game.

Bioshock is a great adventure game inside a terrible FPS.