By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games That are Good at One Genre but Suck at Another

Tagged games:

resident evil 4

good (at least was a good) third person shooter, decent survival horror, bad puzzle game.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
My life is a great survival horror game, but a horrible dating sim.

Have you bothered to build in dating sim elements?  Does your character have dating apps on his cell phone, and use them during cut scenes? Has he decided that dating is important to him, and he'll kill any m-fer that gets in his way as he tries to find true love?  

VAMatt said:
VGPolyglot said:
My life is a great survival horror game, but a horrible dating sim.

Have you bothered to build in dating sim elements?  Does your character have dating apps on his cell phone, and use them during cut scenes? Has he decided that dating is important to him, and he'll kill any m-fer that gets in his way as he tries to find true love?  

I was just joking really, I guess my life isn't really a dating sim at all since I've never even tried

Thechalkblock said:
fallout 3 and fallout new vegas.

great rpg elements, not so good shooting mechanics.

This applies to tons of games.  But, I think we're so used to RPGish games with medicore to bad shooting mechanics that we don't even notice.  

Xenoblade cx... good gameplay... bad story telling

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
VAMatt said:

I was just joking really, I guess my life isn't really a dating sim at all since I've never even tried

Well, I know it is off topic.  But, you probably should give it a shot.  The fact that you mentioned it in this thread makes me think you want to meet some women. 

Rather than take this thread off the rails, I'm going to start a new topic, about online dating, right now......

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Final Fantasy VIII is a great story inside a terrible RPG.

Dark Souls is an awesome RPG but a terrible action game.

Bioshock is a great adventure game inside a terrible FPS.

Dark Souls has one of the better combat at the time. 

Ratchet and clank is really not a platformer its a bullet hell shoot 'em up

MasterThief said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Final Fantasy VIII is a great story inside a terrible RPG.

Dark Souls is an awesome RPG but a terrible action game.

Bioshock is a great adventure game inside a terrible FPS.

Dark Souls has one of the better combat at the time. 

The combat in any 2D fighting game totally blows away Dark Souls.  Specifically the controls in Dark Souls kind of suck.  They are complicated and not intuitive.  Dark Souls is still one of my favorite games of all time, but it's not because of the action part.

Fallout 4, fun open world shooter but a shitty rpg