By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Divinity Original Sin might come to switch if Larian can. Your thoughts? Poll added.

I would...

Love to see Divinity OS on switch. Would buy. 10 55.56%

Don't want Divinity on switch. 2 11.11%

Not sure/indifferent/comments... 6 33.33%

Total:18
Shiken said:
pokoko said:
How many Switch-only gamers out there that would be interested in this type of game? Enough to make the investment of time and money worthwhile?

Why Switch only gamers?  I own all three consoles and I still would get the Switch version due to portability.  In fact, more Switch owners share this mindset than you might allow yourself to believe.

So yes, it would very likely be worth the investment.

I hear this all the time "due to portability" but not all games are really equally well suited for such.... this game isnt that type of game.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
How many Switch-only gamers out there that would be interested in this type of game? Enough to make the investment of time and money worthwhile?

Maybe. I have it on PC and would consider it on Switch, for being able to play wherever. But I may be an outlier.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Megiddo said:
I could see it selling well in Europe since they have a deep love for CRPG and this would be a way to play D:OS portably. As to the core Nintendo audience? I have no idea. They like Nintendo games. They don't really seem to like much else (at least not on a Nintendo system).

Many game-makers announced record sales on Switch. Mostly indies, but they are the most 3rd-party-games so far that are multiplats. So while generally true that on Nintendo systems 3rd-party games sell average, it seems different on Switch.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

It doesn't seem different for the Switch at all. When you have games selling 7, 8, 9 million copies and the closest third party has 1.71 million, mostly due to having Mario on the cover, it doesn't look great.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=231643&page=1#

pokoko said:
Shiken said:

Why Switch only gamers?  I own all three consoles and I still would get the Switch version due to portability.  In fact, more Switch owners share this mindset than you might allow yourself to believe.

So you're saying that you'd only buy the game if it came to the Switch?  How many others who own multiple consoles would only buy the game on Switch?

Let me answer instead.

Answer to question 1: obviously no, I already own it for PC and still strongly consider double dipping for a great game and portability.

Answer to question 2: Dunno, but what does it matter... it matters how many are buying the game at all, regardless if they do buy it only for Switch or buying multiple copies for different systems and regardless if they own multiple systems. Larian couldn't care less about your question, they only care for overall sales.

Your question sounds like: How many PS4-only players would consider buying GTA? Or how many would buy GTA only for PS4 although they own more consoles? Obviously all that didn't matter, all the PS3-owners bought the game willingly again for PS4.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Shiken said:

I hear this all the time "due to portability" but not all games are really equally well suited for such.... this game isnt that type of game.

You think with portability about playing while on a train, right? But the reality for me is: I play my Switch on holidays in hotel room or if I visit my parents for a weekend. At the evening before sleep and such times. That's what portability works for to. I can't take my PS3 with me on such occassions.

Megiddo said:

It doesn't seem different for the Switch at all. When you have games selling 7, 8, 9 million copies and the closest third party has 1.71 million, mostly due to having Mario on the cover, it doesn't look great.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=231643&page=1#

It doesn't matter for a game maker if another game sells more. What matters are their own sales. And as more and more developers say they sold the most on the Switch - even as a late port - it would be money that goes down the drain to avoid the Switch.

Are you referring to indie developers? Because I can't think Bethesda or EA would be saying so with those paltry numbers. Although maybe they can be like Ubisoft and throw Mario into one of their games. DOOM (Now with Mario!). Maybe then people will buy it for the Switch.

Megiddo said:

Are you referring to indie developers? Because I can't think Bethesda or EA would be saying so with those paltry numbers. Although maybe they can be like Ubisoft and throw Mario into one of their games. DOOM (Now with Mario!). Maybe then people will buy it for the Switch.

What do you think Larian is now, not an indy? Last time you checked Larian was as big as EA, or so? And if Larian sells more copies of their game at Switch than on PS4, they probably give a crap about if they are selling less than Mario Kart.

Here some examples:

"Image & Form’s Brjann Sigurgeirsson didn’t share any specific data for SteamWorld Dig 2. However, he did say that the studio had its biggest launch on Switch. The Switch version sold nearly ten times the amount as the Steam version."

"Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap is another game that has done very well on Switch. According to Lizardcube’s Omar Cornut, 100,000 copies have been sold on Nintendo’s console. Moreover, Switch sales have surpassed the total from all other platforms."

https://nintendoeverything.com/indies-on-switch-steamworld-dig-2-sells-nearly-10-times-as-much-as-on-steam-wonder-boy-sells-100000-units/

" sold more copies on than all other consoles combined."

https://twitter.com/FDG_Games/status/907546494001172480?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.vg247.com%2F2017%2F09%2F15%2Fseveral-indie-games-are-selling-much-better-on-switch-than-anywhere-else%2F

"The majority of respondents to the question "have Switch game sales compared to the average across all the platforms you've launched on" answered sales have been average or greater than average, with only 16% saying sales were less than average."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/01/24/devs-say-games-sell-as-well-or-better-on-nintendo-switch-than-other-platforms

So, in conclusion... if other indy studios like Larian sell more on Switch than on other platforms, even more than the other platforms combined or even numbers like ten times the Steam sales - why would Larian care about the sales of some Nintendo game or about Bethesda and EA? You raise points that are completely irrelevant to this thread.

Megiddo said:

This game has nothing to do with BOTW in any sense. It's like saying it's like Pokemon because it has turn-based combat.

If you've played CRPGs you know that was a poor comparison and that there's nothing really like D:OS on Nintendo's plate. Nintendo fans I know were amazed that NPCs in BOTW had more than 1 line of dialogue most the time. To think what they would have reacted if they had to read paragraph after paragraph and making choices (not just yes/no choices that don't matter). It would be jarring to people who never played a CRPG if you just say, hey they is just like BOTW. Go play it!

What fans were these?