By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5's rumored specs are... ridiculous

So, our friends from Semaccurate wanted to get back into the spotlight. And are using unsupported claims they were the first to leak XOne and Switch specs.

https://semiaccurate.com/2018/04/03/semiacccurate-gets-playstation-5next-details/

The PS5 might exists and might be launch this Hollyday season. However, there is zero chance of it´s supporting a Navi GPU and may be close to zero to use Zen CPU cores.

First, there has never been a console with a Radeon GPU architecture that was the top tear of the year. And we even have to suppose those Navi cards are coming this year. 

Second, there is no new mass market node production below 14nm that PS4-Pro and XoX use. The Scorpio chip is the biggest one could get at a $500 machine. And Zen cores are far bigger than Jaguar, supposing Navi CU are also bigger than Polaris and we simply don´t have enough "size budget" to create the SoC.

Third, even if the PS5 GPU is bigger, how the hell will it leverage bandwidth speed? GDDR5X?  That would be a minuscule increase for an extra price. And the PS5 will need to have at least 12GB to reach full 4K most of the time. That is more $$$ over more $$$.

Conclusion.

There is no reason Sony would bet on new architecture at this point of the generation. If they feel the need to leapfrog the XoX, Sony can easily do that with more polished and overclocked Polaris+Jaguar pairs and 12GB of GDDR5. And may be they could get it at no more than $450.

Thoughts? 

Around the Network

Sony can choose to take a hit on hardware if they want so, anything is possible.

super fake news

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

PwerlvlAmy said:
super fake news

"I came up with that word"- Donald Trump rn 

AlfredoTurkey said:
Sony can choose to take a hit on hardware if they want so, anything is possible.

Yes, but for what reason?

Microsoft can take an even bigger hit. There is no reason for them to change all parts of the SoC to a new generation of unproven technologies.

PS: Even though Jaguar has been a punching bag this generation, no one can deny it is a very proven and reliable  mobile CPU.

Around the Network

Sony who at the moment are selling more each quarter than the Xbox One and Switch, i.e. they are the Market Leader. Why on earth would they take a gamble and release a new product when you're already doing nearly as good as you could be doing, theres only one way it could go, hint its not up, its either the same or worse.
Why would they do this? 2019 at the earliest, though I think it would be 2020

CGI-Quality said:
Title updated.

Please, add "ridiculous" to rumored. I think the joke should be clear.

MasterThief said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
super fake news

"I came up with that word"- Donald Trump rn 

jokes on him, i created the word, i created all words and they're the very best words,believe me

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

I don't believe it will comes this year, but there is nothing about this that is as dramatic as your claiming. 7nm consumer products are coming this year. Navi being desined for 7nm. The X360 had one of the most advanced AMD GPUs when it released. There is nothing saying Sony will use an APU in the PS5, in fact it has been rumored for a long time that the CPU and GPU might be seperate chips.

Sony could definitely launch a PS5 with Ryzen and Navi chips this year. The CPU and GPU tech will be ready, but I don't think the production scale will be there.

Again, I don't see the point in a new generation with the available CPU, GPU, Memory, and Storge that could be built into a $500 box this year or next, and I hope this is wrong, but it is totally possible.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

my take:

Coming this year would be insane, and stupid. I just dont see that happening, they're not releasing a new system in the midst of current gen "peak years."

You got a Standard PS4 at 299, a Pro at 399, an X at 499 - What would a Ps5 cost? How much would Sony have to put down their existing models? Sony would take a loss at hardware no matter what. And Sony wont take a hit on hardware, they didnt on the PS4 and it paid off. Big time.

I cant see one reason to why PS5 would release this, there's no need for it from Sonys side, the market doesnt cry for it either