Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5's rumored specs are... ridiculous

Based on the fact that some seem to think late 2019 would be acceptable, yet others really want a late 2020 launch, and few seem to be willing to wait for a 2021 launch, taking into account the odds of an 'XB2' launching before late 2020 at the earliest, or 2021, why not extend this gen even further and end with a bang?

Right now, one of the only things XB has over PS is the power crown. They also have games as a service, but I think we can agree that PS really isn't interested in that at all. Why not drop Pro altogether, and launch a new "Pro" like model, that takes back the power crown, even if only by 1-2TF? The odds of XB firing back in 2019 is slim to nil.

If I were PS, not only would I take back that power crown, but I would make sure, no matter what, that it matched the price of the XB1X, or was darn close. PS may very well need to subsidize it to make this possible, but it has the money to do so right now.

I don't see why this wouldn't make sense either, because there would be so many benefits.
-For those who want a Pro as it exists now, for $349, you have a couple of months after E3 2018 to buy one.
-If you haven't or won't buy a Pro, it's because your not that hardcore about specs, or your too hardcore, and want at least 6TF or more, at the most reasonable price possible.
-Some PS gamers left and are now solely playing on XB1X due to performance, so we might as well take them back.
-Some gamers are still playing both PS4 or Pro, and XB1X, so why not sell them another more capable console?
-Since 'XB2' more than likely isn't landing until holiday 2020 at the earliest, we have at least 2 years to sell this new model, if not 3, uncontested.
-This may very well force XB to announce 'XB2' early, like they did with Scorpio, which would give us a nice heads up for PS5.
-This may take pressure off of XB in a way, thinking they need to make sure they are ready for a PS5 come 2019, and may push them into waiting 3-4 years, meaning 'XB2' and PS5 can wait until 2020/2021 to launch.
-We've done a bunch of engineering already for the beefed up version of Neo (Pro), so why not go a little further and release a more capable console than the XB1X, for a similar price?
-Even if XB drops the price, we will just stay within $50, and who is going to worry about saving $50 this late in the gen if your going out of your way to buy a more capable console?
-Pro isn't making much money in terms of hardware, but has covered it's costs, so as long as the new upgraded version overshadows XB1X, for a small subsidy, who cares as long as it keeps selling tonnes of software and subs?
-Devs don't quite seem to be using Pro to it's full potential, yet XB1X seems to be getting used more so to it's potential, so maybe we need to go further and make sure the new model is more dev friendly.

-We can once again claim we are the most powerful console brand and care most about the gamer.
-We will be putting XB in a really really tough position, even more so than they are right now.
-We will be putting pressure on Nin and third party support do to widening the specs gap even further.
-We will be allowing PS5 to use more advanced tech that wouldn't be financially possible in the next year or two.
-We will break more sales records by extending the gen, not to mention making more money.
-We will break the trend by having the most powerful console win the gen.
-Etc.

There most certainly would be some downsides to this, like potentially subsidizing the new Pro model, but I would say the pro's far outweigh the con's. In this scenario, PS5 would need to be ready to launch around the same time as' XB2'. A holiday 2020 'XB2' release would probably mean getting the PS5 out early *2021 at the latest.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 05 April 2018

Around the Network
Hiku said:

You can see the person who made the comment edited it from Pascal to Tegra. Not the most specific poster.
Doesn't rule out that Semiaccurate didn't specify Maxwell though, and the poster who even at first confused it for Pascal just didn't mention that part.
I can probably find a more specific post. This was literally the first hit that came up on Google. But I'm not interested in doing more research until you answer my question.

I ask again, why do you say these are unsupported claims? Based on what?
Do you just say that randomly? Or is this actually based on some proof where their claim has been debunked?

Also keep in mind that it costs 1000 dollars to access this article. If they charge that much for their information, they're either very confident in having provided correct inside info in the past, or it's a very over ambitious scam.

This.

They are a scam. And not even a good one. That is way I am so baffled so many sites and Youtube channels are falling for this.

I belive it is a thirst for news this time of the year. It is just click-bait inside click-bait. 

torok said:
I think it's pretty clear that both the PS4 Pro and the X1X pushed the next gen further down the road. A 500 bucks PS5 wouldn't be able to significantly outperform a X1X. Hell, it wouldn't even be that much of a jump from a Pro when you factor in that most gens are close to a 10X jump.

Moreover, the PS4 was still up YoY last year. It's even debatable if it won't manage to do it again this year. Normally, consoles are replaced 2 or 3 years after their peak. I don't see much of a point for Sony to kill a cash cow that is now cheap to manufacture so soon.

The X1X launch is also another evidence that we won't see a new gen soon. MS wouln't launch a new and shiny X1 just so it basically become an obsolete last gen device. And it's painfully obvious that both MS and Sony are always extremely well informed about each other's roadmap

To my mind,one more factor in consideration on the timing of the next gen may well be the simple matter of when Sony feel they  have reached a production price point where the PS4 Pro is able to replace the PS4 while maintaining a similar price and profit margin .

DonFerrari said:
Dark_Feanor said:

Yes, but for what reason?

Microsoft can take an even bigger hit. There is no reason for them to change all parts of the SoC to a new generation of unproven technologies.

PS: Even though Jaguar has been a punching bag this generation, no one can deny it is a very proven and reliable  mobile CPU.

Wasn't microsoft wealthiness something you said would grant them the leading this gen?

Seems many people forget that Xbox =/= MS. MS has tons of money. Xbox does not. Which is evident in the fact that they are not buying up big exclusives or even marketing rights anymore. They are very lacking when it comes to 1st party SW, too. I really think they are going to give it one good push next gen, but if they fail to even match the XBO, they will be done. And if these rumors hold true, it looks like we will be getting a very nice PS5 that should be ~2x the power of the XBX for $399-$449. That's not a good sign for Xbox.

Dark_Feanor said:
Hiku said:

You can see the person who made the comment edited it from Pascal to Tegra. Not the most specific poster.
Doesn't rule out that Semiaccurate didn't specify Maxwell though, and the poster who even at first confused it for Pascal just didn't mention that part.
I can probably find a more specific post. This was literally the first hit that came up on Google. But I'm not interested in doing more research until you answer my question.

Do you just say that randomly? Or is this actually based on some proof where their claim has been debunked?

Also keep in mind that it costs 1000 dollars to access this article. If they charge that much for their information, they're either very confident in having provided correct inside info in the past, or it's a very over ambitious scam.

This.

They are a scam. And not even a good one. That is way I am so baffled so many sites and Youtube channels are falling for this.

I belive it is a thirst for news this time of the year. It is just click-bait inside click-bait. 

They might be right on the devkit spec and devkit availability on developer, but it's not the final spec, and just prototype.  what i don't agree with them because, they just assume that it will be released based on the devkit availability. If they just assuming PS5 release year  based on devkit availability alone. Then PS4 and Xbox One should have been released on 2011 not 2013.  And also they are not considering that periods time on game making, marketing, final build for costumer, bug codding and etc etc. 

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:
Hiku said:

This.

Semiaccurate have a pretty reliable track-record.
They do have insider connections and know what goes on in fabs where things are made.

All they have said is that they have varified that its a zen cpu (8c), and a navi based gpu.... w/ some stuff for VR buildt in.
They "speculate" due to the amount of dev kits out in the wild, that a PS5 wont be far out from now, ei. 2019.

^ most of that, is something people would assume to be happending anyway so yeah 1,000$ for that is insane.
However its nice to "know" instead of be "guessing".

JRPGfan said:
Dark_Feanor said:

This.

They do have insider connections and know what goes on in fabs where things are made.

All they have said is that they have varified that its a zen cpu (8c), and a navi based gpu.... w/ some stuff for VR buildt in.
They "speculate" due to the amount of dev kits out in the wild, that a PS5 wont be far out from now, ei. 2019.

^ most of that, is something people would assume to be happending anyway so yeah 1,000$ for that is insane.

For spec prototype , and dev kit availability is super accurate. But  for release date ?............. Nah XD 

HollyGamer said:
JRPGfan said:

For spec prototype , and dev kit availability is super accurate. But  for release date ?............. Nah XD 

tbh I dont think Sony needs to release a PS5 until 2020.
However supposedly the "25th anniversary of Playstation" launch will be in December 2019.

I can imagine them wanting that to go off with a big bang, and I wouldnt be surprised if they went either unvailed it, or released it there.

JRPGfan said:
HollyGamer said:

tbh I dont think Sony needs to release a PS5 until 2020.
However supposedly the "25th anniversary of Playstation" launch will be in December 2019.

I can imagine them wanting that to go off with a big bang, and I wouldnt be surprised if they went either unvailed it, or released it there.

I am OK if they announce it in 2019 , but i prefer 2020.  Because the Navi GPU will have more choices and better wafer (cheaper and slightly powerful)  and more first party support possibility and 3rd party games optimization. 

But i don't know the whole strategy that SONY had planned for PS5. So  I just happy they will be using NAVi and Ryzen APU like what i have predicted last year. 

mjk45 said:

To my mind,one more factor in consideration on the timing of the next gen may well be the simple matter of when Sony feel they  have reached a production price point where the PS4 Pro is able to replace the PS4 while maintaining a similar price and profit margin .

That's a good point. PS360 suffered a bit in the end with next gen ports that were not only sub-HD but also ran at 20-something fps. This discourages late adopters (budget) to buy the cheap console because it simply sucks. A cheap Pro/X1X solves the issue.

I'm not sure if we will hit the point where the base unit is discontinued, since a 99 or 129 dollar SKU could do wonders. But, at least, we will still have a slightly more expensive unit that has a decent performance.