By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. April bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

nero said:

Amazon is having an update on its bestseller page. Looks cleaner but US and JP has the original look.

GoW is doing wonders globally. If it's a great game, then it deserves.

Can't say I like the new look. :P  I guess we'll get used to it though.  We'll have to anyway.

I wish UK got their act together.  I wanna see all 1s and 2s! 

Around the Network

Amazon's new best sellers design does not look good. I really hate when companies do updates to UI's and websites. They often make it worse. It also screws up browsing on phones and consoles.

Formerly ilovegirls69  :(

Marth said:
nero said:

It uses lynx to dump the page source and with grep obtains the line where the ranking is. The it uses sed to only show the number. I can share with you how I did it so we can make both crawlers better. Not a great programmer skills but for it gets the job done. I can't execute every time because Amazon then tells me I'm a robot, so it fails to obtain the numbers xD

Thats interesting we use a similar approach but different environments. My Programm is a Windows Console programmed in C#. I also save the source code and then filter for the Ranking/Name of the Entries. I tried using the native WebClient in C# but ran into the same problem as you that amazon wants to check if Im a robot.

I found a silly workaround: Instead of directly accessing the amazon page I use input manipulation to save the source code. Because amazon does not care about you beeing a robot if your browser has cookies and a logged in profile. Its not beautiful but I have to access 5 times in quick succession and needed to avoid this check at all costs. ^^

Great workaround. Will try logging and saving cookies in a console environment to see if it works

GoW #1 in Japan hourlies now. Impressive.

Mar1217 said:
The SNES classic is beating GOW ... wow.

Crazy how in demand that thng still is 

Around the Network

God of war now number 1 on amazon Japan. Could an impressive opening for the series be inbound? Series growth in Japan?

What happened with Amazon !

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Mar1217 said:
The SNES classic is beating GOW ... wow.

Crazy how in demand that thng still is 

I think that you care more about new 2ds selling out in two days after the discount of 20$, didn't you notice it? :)

Amazon went back to normal for me. They must of got tired of the feedback with people not liking the change.

Great seeing God of War at the number one spot. Going to be exciting to see what kind of record breaking numbers it will do. Also the PS4 Pro looks to be getting big sales off this game. Glad to see many new and old owners enjoying the PlayStation platform for quality fun entertainment.

zorg1000 said:

Thats awesome, do you happen to know the previous record for PS4 exclusive? Is it Uncharted 4?

Edit: From Uncharted 4 wiki, "The game sold more than 2.7 million copies worldwide in the first week after its release, and became the fastest-selling game developed by a first-party Sony studio for the PlayStation 4 in the PAL region and North America."

NPD had it at 828k, i believe thats 3 weeks of sales though.

PS4 was sitting at under 40 Million units back when U4 released, less than 14 Million in America.

God of War will have the advantage of a far larger userbase to target. ~80 Million PS4's worldwide and closer to ~25 Million in America. While Uncharted has always been bigger than God of War, I wouldn't be surprised to see GoW top the launch of U4.