By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War No loading screens

pitzy272 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Realistically, how much would my enjoyment be decreased based on "cuts"? Probably not at all, in fact they are probably a very convenient and great way of making things exciting. But sure, I guess we should applaud it because it's difficult. If it makes the game better, I am happy for them.

There are specific artistic and narrative reasons for them doing this. I believe the biggest reason is a matter of intimacy. It’s a story about Kratos and his son, and this way you truly never leave their side for the entire journey. 

Believe me, I have already gotten an ear full for this comment today. But I agree with you, I just hope it's not for reasons of artificiality and actually adds quality to the game. We will see on launch. 

Around the Network

What if the player navigates to the home menu?

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
pitzy272 said:

There are specific artistic and narrative reasons for them doing this. I believe the biggest reason is a matter of intimacy. It’s a story about Kratos and his son, and this way you truly never leave their side for the entire journey. 

Believe me, I have already gotten an ear full for this comment today. But I agree with you, I just hope it's not for reasons of artificiality and actually adds quality to the game. We will see on launch. 

Well, I wasn’t trying to do that. I had concerns about the single shot thing, too, including worrying about them just “doing it for the sake of doing it.” But as I’ve read/listened to their reasons behind it, it’s become something I’m actually excited rather than skeptical about. Cory Barlog seems to truly believe in this approach. Here’s a 3min video explaining some of the reasoning behind it:

http://m.ign.com/videos/2018/03/21/god-of-war-official-a-single-shot-trailer

Aeolus451 said:
I never understood why some people think no loading screens/times is important. I just don't care. These people should have seen what it was like back in the day.

I grew up with no loading (NES & SNES) and when it was introduced I hated it because it is boring to wait and stare at a screen.  If a game looks good or great doesn't affect my enjoyment, loading times do.  So glad Bloodborne patches so they aren't as bad as Day 1 release.

LuccaCardoso1 said:
pitzy272 said:

That's probably it. If the camera never cuts, you feel like you're not missing a single thing about the relationship of Kratos and his son, and so you'll be more involved with the story and with the characters, and feel sadder when one of them dies (that's my prediction for the game's story: either Kratos or his son will die at the end. I'll be kind of sad annoyed if one of they do die because it is so cliché, but whatever).

Kratos dies all the time, it wouldn't surprise me if he dies again this time.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

That's really impressive and I don't think it'll be boring.

I've never played a game with a single shot camera, I guess. So, I can't wait to see this.

I wasn't really into this game, but we can see that Sony is really passionate about it and I'm hyped now.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

ArchangelMadzz said:
So wait if it's all one shot does Kratos just not sleep?

There are many ways to show the passing of time without once cutting away. How about: Kratos goes to sleep, camera pans up to the window, we see darkness with stars shifting across the skyline, sun then rises, camera pans back down to Kratos. Job done. 

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
ArchangelMadzz said:
So wait if it's all one shot does Kratos just not sleep?

There are many ways to show the passing of time without once cutting away. How about: Kratos goes to sleep, camera pans up to the window, we see darkness with stars shifting across the skyline, sun then rises, camera pans back down to Kratos. Job done. 

You will watch Kratos sleep 8h and probably more than once, it will be very immersive ;)

Everything they have shown and talked about God of War have looked pretty impressive and I think Sony has something big on their hands with this title.

RoboTin said:

You will watch Kratos sleep 8h and probably more than once, it will be very immersive ;)

Everything they have shown and talked about God of War have looked pretty impressive and I think Sony has something big on their hands with this title.

I'd love it to be another TLOU moment in video game history but that's a hard bar to reach. You never know though.

The PS5 Exists. 

Nymeria said:
Aeolus451 said:
I never understood why some people think no loading screens/times is important. I just don't care. These people should have seen what it was like back in the day.

I grew up with no loading (NES & SNES) and when it was introduced I hated it because it is boring to wait and stare at a screen.  If a game looks good or great doesn't affect my enjoyment, loading times do.  So glad Bloodborne patches so they aren't as bad as Day 1 release.

Not me. The loading times came with more advanced games and those games tended to be more mature/evolved.