By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - French left-wing politician arrested over tweet hailing gendarme's death [by ISIS]

Convict him?

Yes 8 50.00%

No 8 50.00%

Total:16
CrazyGamer2017 said:
Tough call. On one side I totally stand for freedom of speech as I believe it is fundamental that people be free to believe and say whatever they want. On the other hand, this guy is a total dick, no question there so he shouldn't be arrested but he should be totally ostracized in any and every possible way.
But arresting him is just as bad as what happens in Europe and how we let followers of that sick religion pour in by the millions.

I think the US and Europe draw the line with freedom of speech differently. In the US you're fine until speech becomes an physical act of violence, Europe when your speech promotes violence.

I agree the politician is a massive ****, but his tweet reads that he is happy that the guy is dead. Not an endearing view to say the least but doesn't seem he is promoting violence.

Around the Network

Good to see that this left-wing asshole can't get away with being an asshole

Nothing to see here, move along

Yeah, complete asshole but jail? I'm fine with anyone being able to say whatever they want, I just don't have to agree with it if it upsets me and then move on. What this guy said is despicable but he shouldn't be arrested for it. This is just as bad as the Count Dankula case except this guy wasn't joking.

SecondWar said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:
Tough call. On one side I totally stand for freedom of speech as I believe it is fundamental that people be free to believe and say whatever they want. On the other hand, this guy is a total dick, no question there so he shouldn't be arrested but he should be totally ostracized in any and every possible way.
But arresting him is just as bad as what happens in Europe and how we let followers of that sick religion pour in by the millions.

I think the US and Europe draw the line with freedom of speech differently. In the US you're fine until speech becomes an physical act of violence, Europe when your speech promotes violence.

I agree the politician is a massive ****, but his tweet reads that he is happy that the guy is dead. Not an endearing view to say the least but doesn't seem he is promoting violence.

You have that kinda mixed up. In the US, you're fine until your speech promotes violence. In Europe, you don't have free speech in any actual sense. Normal speech is "protected" but dissenting, offensive and hateful speech is not. The whole point of free speech is to protect dissenting opinion from being silenced by the government. Who's in control of the government changes and whatever "good idea" the people before implemented can be used by the new people in charge.

Edit. Applauding the murder of a cop that was done by ISIS is promoting more events of that nature. 

Last edited by Aeolus451 - on 26 March 2018

A hero that gave up his own life to save others.... doing his duty as a cop.
How can anyone badmouth that?

Should be jailed for being a dumb f****? I dont think so, but yeah, silly comments are silly.

Around the Network
SecondWar said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

I guess it "could" go as promoteing acts of terror.... like its fine if a christian dies at the hands of a muslim type of deal.
If thats the case then yeah.

Aeolus451 said:
SecondWar said:

You have that kinda mixed up. In the US, you're fine until your speech promotes violence. In Europe, you don't have free speech in any actual sense. Normal speech is "protected" but dissenting, offensive and hateful speech is not. The whole point of free speech is to protect dissenting opinion from being silenced by the government. Who's in control of the government changes and whatever "good idea" the people before implemented can be used by the new people in charge.

Edit. Applauding the murder of a cop that was done by ISIS is promoting more events of that nature. 

No one in Western Europe gets charged for "dissenting" opinion against the government. Stop spreading FUD. Democracy and free speech is fine in Europe to keep unrest and violence in check.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Here's the tweet:
A chaque fois qu’un gendarme se fait buter, et c’est pas tous les jours, je pense à mon ami Rémi Fraisse [jeune militant écologiste mort sur le site du barrage de Sivens en octobre 2014 dans des échauffourées avec la police], là c’est un colonel, quel pied ! Accessoirement, un électeur de Macron en moins. 

Rough translation:

Every time a policeman gets shot, which isn't something that happens everyday, I think of my friend Rémi Fraisse [young ecologic militant who died protesting against Sivens Dam in October 2014, during a clash with the police], there it's a colonel, what a shock! It's also one voter for Macron less.

(I'm not sure what the underlined part means.)

So while the tweet is very distasteful, I don't think that we can call this 'apologising terrorism'. He's just angry because his friend (who died trying to save the environment) didn't get nearly as many much sympathy as this cop who died.

Everyone in democracies thinks they have free speech, but they don’t. I’m in Canada and I can be fined if I misgender someone and pretty soon I’ll be fined for teaching my children why they shouldn’t convert to islam.

Americans, you have it really good and most of you don’t even know it.

Looks like OP didn’t learn his lesson. Alright, reporting for doing the exact same shit as the last thread.