By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - French left-wing politician arrested over tweet hailing gendarme's death [by ISIS]

Convict him?

Yes 8 50.00%

No 8 50.00%

Total:16

Trèbes attack: French left-winger arrested over tweet hailing gendarme's death

A former French left-wing parliamentary candidate has been arrested over his tweets about a policeman killed during a jihadist siege in southern France last week.

Stéphane Poussier appeared to celebrate the death of Lt-Col Arnaud Beltrame, saying it was great.

Friday's attack - which killed four people - was the worst jihadist attack under Emmanuel Macron's presidency.

The maximum penalty for apology for terrorist acts is seven years in prison and a fine of €100,000 (£90,000; $120,000), according to Le Monde newspaper.

Stéphane Poussier stood as a candidate for La France Insoumise (France Unbowed), the far-left party led by Jean-Luc Mélenchon, during legislative elections in 2017.

The party has expelled Mr Poussier, calling his tweets "shameful and abject".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43534445

Moderated - think-man

Last edited by think-man - on 26 March 2018

Around the Network

I would say he shouldn't be charged, but my opinion isn't really important, since I am not accustom to the laws of the country and how ethical the laws are.

Seems many people just assume they have freedom of speech until their government reminds them they don't.

What kind of dumbass applauds the murder of his fellow countryman and a policeman by a fanatically religious terrorist member of ISIS? That guy. I'm all for free speech except when they promote violence.

Distasteful.

Certainly doesn't deserve jail time though.

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
What kind of dumbass applauds the murder of his fellow countryman and a policeman by a fanatically religious terrorist member of ISIS? That guy. I'm all for free speech except when they promote violence.

The way the article states it, it doesn't really sound like he's "promoting violence". He's just a dick.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Aeolus451 said:

The way the article states it, it doesn't really sound like he's "promoting violence". He's just a dick.

Praising the murder of someone by terrorists is promoting that sort of action.

Tough call. On one side I totally stand for freedom of speech as I believe it is fundamental that people be free to believe and say whatever they want. On the other hand, this guy is a total dick, no question there so he shouldn't be arrested but he should be totally ostracized in any and every possible way.
But arresting him is just as bad as what happens in Europe and how we let followers of that sick religion pour in by the millions.

A despicable person but it should be his right to be despicable, so jailing or fining him is a terrible idea.

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Tough call. On one side I totally stand for freedom of speech as I believe it is fundamental that people be free to believe and say whatever they want. On the other hand, this guy is a total dick, no question there so he shouldn't be arrested but he should be totally ostracized in any and every possible way.
But arresting him is just as bad as what happens in Europe and how we let followers of that sick religion pour in by the millions.

I think the US and Europe draw the line with freedom of speech differently. In the US you're fine until speech becomes an physical act of violence, Europe when your speech promotes violence.

I agree the politician is a massive ****, but his tweet reads that he is happy that the guy is dead. Not an endearing view to say the least but doesn't seem he is promoting violence.