By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony needs to stop turning their franchises into Uncharted.

I kinda see where OP's coming from. After TLoU and Uncharted, Sony appear to be directing their exclusives towards that style of gritty narrative derivative from those games. Let's face it, God of War was never a franchise about deep storytelling. It was all about combat and simple puzzle solving with some platforming in between. Kratos was just an angry dude and that was it.

I 'm not a fan of such drastic changes to GOW, they could try a new franchise, but hey, it's what appeal to today's casual public, so whatever.

Then there's games like Days Gone which could easily be mistaken for a TLoU spin off, and all the aforementioned exclusives also show signs of this overly dark, gritty, edgy, atmosphere with a heavy focus on dramatic and "deep" storytelling. I'm not saying these elements are bad, but does every future first party really need to pursuit that?

Like was mentioned here, the Marvel movies are a good example. Though they have different settings like Guardians of the Galaxy with it's crazy sci-fi, Thor with it's nordic mithology fantasy, and Captain America's political action movie, Black Panther with it's utopic and tribal drama, etc, they all feel the same because of a number of tried-and-true elements that are applied to every single movie. Yes, it's cohesive because they're movies from the same publisher, but it feels tiresome after a while. That's why Logan and Deadpool felt so fresh in comparison. Though they're Marvel movies, being honed by Fox made it easier to ignore the MCU formula and try different things.

Overall i think that's what OP's was trying to say here and if so, i agree with them.

Around the Network
Qalandar said:
This is without a doubt the worst hyperbole narrative anti-sone trolls have come up with yet.
Much like the whole "Sony announces games too early" narrative though, it has no truth to it.

How exactly is that a narrative.They literally announce games like 3+ years in advance. It's a set in stone fact that they announce games far to early.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Knack
Killzone
Infamous
LittleBigPlanet
MLB The Show
Bloodborne
Helldivers
Tearaway
Gravity Rush
Ratchet and Clank
The Last Guardian
Resogun
Alienation
Bound
The Tomorrow Children
KillStrain
Rigs
Everybody's Golf
Drawn to Death
Dreams
Spiderman
Concrete Genie

All nothing like Uncharted/TLOU, A lot of variety in there.
So I assume TC's complaint is about why these games are not as hotly anticipated as the 3rd person adventure games, then I'd have to say because people want those games and that's not on Sony but the gamers. Sony have throughout the generation been making all kinds of games, what rises to the top is not in their hands but on gamers.

I miss Jega.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

I would agree. I am not a huge fan of action movie games. I tried my hardest to finish Tomb Raider 2013 and Rise. Sure they have different ascetics however they all feel like they are the same games with different skins. I actually enjoyed God of War 1 to 3 aside from Ascension, this new GoW looks like TLOU with an Axe, where TLOU was Uncharted with Zombies and Detroit is Uncharted with Robots, Days Gone is TLOU with a lot more Zombies and Death Stranding is a Sci Fi TLOU. That's how they look to me anyway.
To Sony's credit they found a genre that works for them, on the bad side, not all gamers want a movie experience. I prefer my MMO, tactic, sim games, id rather play games like Into The Breach than Tomb Raider.

Around the Network

"Uncharted".... "artsy"....

Did you take a few random ideas floating around in your head, some fairly recent Sony games, and a negative connotation and just decided, "Yup, that's a thread idea!" because I'm quite lost here myself.

I wouldn't say that any of those games are artsy or the same.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
thismeintiel said:

Someone actually did the math on that, and on average MS takes longer to release their games after the first announcement.  Funnily enough, Xbox fans were still using that narrative until someone pointed that out.  I had post in one thread illustrating that exact point.  Here.

Not sure if they did Nintendo or not.  But, I'd imagine they are right around Sony.

Yeah, I'm not saying Sony is worse than Microsoft. In fact, I think I caught on fairly  early on  (at least in comparison to most) that Microsoft was significantly worse in that regard. However, I don't see how that excuses Sony.

I don't know how good or bad Nintendo is on that front. I feel like the Wii U was a case of bad luck, since they had BOTW and I believe one other title that kept getting delayed (?). Still, I would say Nintendo is better, at least as of the Switch.

I think most of their titles on Wii U were getting delayed.  I believe the excuse was they weren't used to HD development.  But, yea, with the Switch, so far, they have been pretty good.  I think the average is a year or so.  Have to see if that lengthens in the coming years or stays the same.

JRPGfan said:
pokoko said:

Yeah, that's true.  Like if one company had a bunch of games with cartoonish character designs in a third person perspective, that would get really played out.

But at the same time..... this akin to saying:

MS only cares about GaaS and online-multiplayers.
Nintendo only does cartoony graphics, and never bother with any story or character developement.
Sonly only does Uncharted clones.

Is it true? I dont think so.

I don't think so, either.  Listing similarities while ignoring differences is disingenuous.  

That wasn't the point I was making with that particular reply, however.

I enjoy uncharted series, not a huge fan, but if the results are like the last of us, which is about the only clone i can think of, when it really isnt, then please give me more, that game was unforgettable, and GOW looks to be amazing as well.

Last edited by quickrick - on 25 March 2018