By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you see Grinding as a bad thing?

I...

Like a grind. 7 12.28%

Dislike grinding. 16 28.07%

Don't mind a grind if the game is good. 34 59.65%

Don't play games. 0 0%

Want to see comments.... 0 0%

Total:57
PwerlvlAmy said:
I have never minded grinding in games. I usually listen to music or put on a video or something while I do it. Never been a problem.

Forgot about this angle. I've done it too. When the game allows for it, and doesn't require my full attention, I'll sometimes use the picture-in-picture function on the TV and watch whatever while I do some grinding.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

I think a game is done well if it doesn't require grinding to progress, but grinding still being an option. I tend to like being overpowered when I play RPGs myself so I grind a fair bit.

I enjoyed grinding in Destiny. In fact, once they removed most of the grind, the game became less enjoyable to me. I was just really into spending time in the game world, and I liked to be able to do casual stuff some of the time.

In Destiny 2, there really is no grinding to be done. Consequently, I play a lot less of the game.

In general though, I don't like to do a whole lot grinding. I think some is okay, to pad the playtime. But, for the average game, if I'm spending more than 10% to 15% of my time grinding, I'm likely to lose interest and stop playing.

COKTOE said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
I have never minded grinding in games. I usually listen to music or put on a video or something while I do it. Never been a problem.

Forgot about this angle. I've done it too. When the game allows for it, and doesn't require my full attention, I'll sometimes use the picture-in-picture function on the TV and watch whatever while I do some grinding.

Yup it makes it a lot less tedious and plus I used to grind in FFXI against HNM and NM's and camp for like 10 hours to fight an enemy. Plus back when FFXI was still big early on, to get from level 70 to 75 required 1.0 million. 1.3 million, 1.5 million, etc etc it went up by over 200k every level progression  till level 75

so you'd have to get like 6m exp just to cap out the level at 75, that required like 7-8hrs of pure straight grinding PER level and thats even if you had a good party who knew what they were doing.  

Maybe grinding just became second nature to me lol

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

PwerlvlAmy said:
COKTOE said:

Yup it makes it a lot less tedious and plus I used to grind in FFXI against HNM and NM's and camp for like 10 hours to fight an enemy. Plus back when FFXI was still big early on, to get from level 70 to 75 required 1.0 million. 1.3 million, 1.5 million, etc etc it went up by over 200k every level progression  till level 75

so you'd have to get like 6m exp just to cap out the level at 75, that required like 7-8hrs of pure straight grinding PER level and thats even if you had a good party who knew what they were doing.  

Maybe grinding just became second nature to me lol

^ this.  

At 75, if you die it took like 20mins of leveling to regain the xp you lost.

Also all the japanese people where very skeptical of NA/EU players, and us useing the Auto translate to communicate,...
stuff like that is what you end up remembering. 

Some Japanese guys where cool though, like there was a community there. The japanese guys had this "leet" look at gameplay, and didnt like playing with NA/EU noobs (their mentality was = dont waste our time)... so like you had to prove yourself to them before they would invite you to xp parties ect.
I honestly think japanese guys before asking NA/EU players to party invites, would ask the other japanese guys in the groups "do you know this NA/EU guy? is he one of the good ones? or not?" and sometimes you would make friends with them and they would invite you again and again ect.

#1   :p

trying to communicate you wanted to setup a party based skill chain ect lmao.... but its the stuff you remember.

PwerlvlAmy  did you do HNM/ HNMBCs / ISNM? Sky/Sea gods? Abyss NM? Legion? Skirmish? Moblin Maze Mongers? Salavage?

Man Sky was fun with those group party alliances, to take on gods.
There was sooooooo much endgame content.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 24 March 2018

Around the Network

It's a necessary evil that can be fun most of the time. For instance, there are games which felt perfect for grinding, such as Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. I've added more than 500 hours into that game on two separate save game files. But there's Grand Theft Auto Online, where grinding doesn't seem worthwhile when the economy is unbalanced towards microtransactions, giving you peanuts for the missions you complete.

Depends, grinding is probably the main reason i never got into JRPG's. I'm can be very impatient

Grinding in a game? Yes. Grinding at the club? No.

I can't take seriously an OP who doesn't consider games games because of the platform or input method.

BraLoD said:
Xen said:
It's only bearable if it allows one to do something else while grinding in a game. A lot of Disgaea 3 which I finished (story part...) today is designed around grinding: and that means a lot of things I will never see - why waste so much time grinding when you can play another game, or do something else and fresh?

Anyway, boo.

The grinding is completely optional in Disgaea.

As you said you finished the main story, the grinding comes after that if you want to explore more of the game and side stories.

I know it's optional, but that does not stop me from being annoyed at the stupid entry barrier into the side things.

Grinding is especially annoying in Disgaea and its 100500 different characters: I hope it's a streamlined thing since then.