By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you see Grinding as a bad thing?

I...

Like a grind. 7 12.28%

Dislike grinding. 16 28.07%

Don't mind a grind if the game is good. 34 59.65%

Don't play games. 0 0%

Want to see comments.... 0 0%

Total:57
CrazyGamer2017 said:

It depends on the intensity of the grinding, some games simply go too far and the amount of grinding to succeed is insane like in the game EDF 4.1, if you want to get the INFERNO trophies for each of the 4 categories in the game, you are going to have to grind something that is out of this world.
I am over 600 hours into this game and I still don't have even one of the 4 inferno level trophies and that is simply too much, too far.

I was going to mention EDF 4.1 in my initial post. I managed to get the plat at almost exactly 500 hours. Obviously, I put a lot of effort into it, but had help from some of the elite players, which is absolutely necessary for the vast majority. I DO know a small handful of people who are so skilled and have such great strategy, that they can pass most of the craziest levels solo, and were able to complete co-op missions with a good team with even less armor than I had. Because circumstances suck I haven't been on my PS4 lately. In addition, I simply need to move on and play other things. BUT, I will return to EDF 4.1 from time to time. I'd be willing to help, and even more importantly, you'd probably meet some of my friends who would pitch in. Also, don't know if you're aware, but hackers/modders/cheaters invaded the game just at the end of last December. They've really pissed off a lot of the community. I wonder if we've crossed paths before? Also, do you have the DLC mission packs?

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:
Seventizz said:

How does one put 600+ hours into one non-mmorpg videogame?  One of my all time favourite game’s is Asteroids that I’ve been playing for years/decades on various platforms - but I highly doubt I’ve put more than 100 hours into them.

Where does one find the time/energy/interest?

Well to be honest, on the day I played this game for the first time if you had told me that 600 hours of game play later I'd still be playing it I would have looked at you with a dubious stare. What I'm trying to say is that I did not plan this. The game is addictive so I kept on playing on and on and today, about 640 hours later, to be more accurate, I'm still trying to go for the super hard inferno trophies. I hope to get at least 2 out of the 4.

Now you have to understand that I'm not playing this all the time, I began playing almost 2 years ago and I have stopped playing it to play other games too only to get back to it later on. And now I have put so many hours into this game that I simply must go on playing until I get those trophies

But the main issue is that the developers went too far, almost as if they don't want people to get those trophies or something and in this case, grinding is definitely a bad thing.

Ah, I never would have thought that Achievements (or Trophies in your situation) were that big of a deal to many.  I’ve never really cared for them and in fact, I’ve looked for ways to turn them off lol.

I really don't understand threads like this, especially with these titles, because it's obvious the answer will always be : it depends.

Even people who think they have a definitive answer skewing in one direction, have just yet to find the game that breaks their opinion.

COKTOE said:

I was going to mention EDF 4.1 in my initial post. I managed to get the plat at almost exactly 500 hours. Obviously, I put a lot of effort into it, but had help from some of the elite players, which is absolutely necessary for the vast majority. I DO know a small handful of people who are so skilled and have such great strategy, that they can pass most of the craziest levels solo, and were able to complete co-op missions with a good team with even less armor than I had. Because circumstances suck I haven't been on my PS4 lately. In addition, I simply need to move on and play other things. BUT, I will return to EDF 4.1 from time to time. I'd be willing to help, and even more importantly, you'd probably meet some of my friends who would pitch in. Also, don't know if you're aware, but hackers/modders/cheaters invaded the game just at the end of last December. They've really pissed off a lot of the community. I wonder if we've crossed paths before? Also, do you have the DLC mission packs?

Holy shit you managed to get all 4 inferno trophies in 500 hours only, that is amazing.

Though to be clear I have been playing alone. I don't have PS Plus so I cannot co-op for this game. Enemies are insane on inferno as you must certainly know. Though I managed to get to chapter 79 with my Wing Diver. But chapter 80 on inferno is absolutely mad. The dragons attack you from above and you are simultaneously blinded, paralyzed and your life meter goes down in a matter of seconds, it's very unfair and too hard so I have been grinding like mad and my Wing Diver is at 14000 points and I still need to grind more to beat this damn level. The problem here is that there is nowhere to hide, no strategy that can help. You just need to increase your health and that takes time.

I can't believe you have completed inferno with all 4 categories, congratulations man. And I don't think we must have met on the field since I don't play online. I did not know about that hack you mention. Also for a long time I had the base game but I got so bored grinding that I purchased the first extension pack just to see new levels during my grinding so yes I got the first pack but not the second one.

JRPGfan said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

Yes I did all of that. Twice. I ran a RDM Taru on my first account. Got him to 75. The Maat fight sucks as a RDM and being a Taru. Currently I have WHM I use just to mess around.

I remember the first time going through the Ro'Meave and then getting to enter the Hall Of Gods. Was so damn magical to first get there and hear the song.

First enemy in Sky I ever fought was Genbu, then worked my way through Seiryu and Kirin. Lots of good memories.

I never got my Kirin Osode... I had a samurai at 75 that I took with a HNM group to fight the gods.
Farming the shards, and walking together as like 18 guys, and finding the route in the maze to get to Kirin.... man it took setup and prep.

I used to enjoy low-man content as well, I had a DRG/WHM (healing breath) and would enjoy like solo/duo'ing stuff (usually with a friend on a PLD).
Your lucky you did a TaruTaru, was always jealous of their MP pool (but since i prefered melee classes, it wasnt a issue (high hp pool instead)).

Did you ever take the Genbu challenge?
As a red mage you could solo him :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agXgumw7yq4

(video of a rdm kiteing Genbu with Gravity spell, and useing Bio + Poison to widdle him down, while keeping distance)

red mages where badasses in this game:

With all the gear/merit skills PLD got they ended up pretty nuts too.

PLD/RDM sub was the closest I got to being able to do this stuff (on tough monsters).

Never did that Genbu challenge. Now I wish I had tried it lol

What was the most fun about the game is going back to it over the years and getting my friends to experience it for the first time. 

Being all super over powered i was able to show them everything and re-experience the story again through their first time and their eyes, so awesome

FFXI is one of my fondest games ever.  I even have the boxed PC Beta Version of it. Seems pretty rare and of course got my Vana'diel alarm clock that lights up blue and plays the main city themes of Bastok,San D'oria,Windurst and Jeuno depending on which u set it to

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network

Grinding is bad if it's the only realistic way to get out of a situation. Grinding to just bruteforce your way of some boss it's taking forever to beat is not bad, but if it is the only way to progress, it's just a cheap tactic to prolong the game.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Yup.... I see it as an extremely flawed form of game design.

I mean break it down to what it really is, you are not strong enough to open this door. So please go back to tjat other door you could open and do it 200 times then come back here.

Yup..... flawed.

Games like Horizon got it right. From simply playing the game, going from point to point and taking on hunts and what not you got everything you needed (including levels) to be better suited to take on the more stronger foes.

Thats how it should be.

Whats tje point making a level hard or a boss hard if all you have to do is go fight some othwr boss 50 times and come back?

And thats anothwr thing horizon got right. No matter how-powerful yoi were you still couldnt take on enemies on autopilot.

CrazyGamer2017 said:
COKTOE said:

Holy shit you managed to get all 4 inferno trophies in 500 hours only, that is amazing.

Though to be clear I have been playing alone. I don't have PS Plus so I cannot co-op for this game. Enemies are insane on inferno as you must certainly know. Though I managed to get to chapter 79 with my Wing Diver. But chapter 80 on inferno is absolutely mad. The dragons attack you from above and you are simultaneously blinded, paralyzed and your life meter goes down in a matter of seconds, it's very unfair and too hard so I have been grinding like mad and my Wing Diver is at 14000 points and I still need to grind more to beat this damn level. The problem here is that there is nowhere to hide, no strategy that can help. You just need to increase your health and that takes time.

I can't believe you have completed inferno with all 4 categories, congratulations man. And I don't think we must have met on the field since I don't play online. I did not know about that hack you mention. Also for a long time I had the base game but I got so bored grinding that I purchased the first extension pack just to see new levels during my grinding so yes I got the first pack but not the second one.

Yeah. Monster Camp on inferno is going to be almost impossible without going online...there might be a way though. Do you by chance have a decent Air Raider, with good weapons and armor? And a second controller? I have a friend who did it solo in split screen. I tried it too and couldn't do it, but he had roughly 4x my armor. To be honest though, I don't think I've ever even heard of anybody completing mission 96: Demon Army in solo play. It's fucking unreal. A PSN friend, MSOKusinagi3D, who legitimately ground his Wing Diver up to 600 000+ armor, AND is a really good player, couldn't do it. I've seen him put up a good fight for close to an hour, but eventually he gets overwhelmed. Again, this is with 600 000 armor. He farms AFK in split screen, which allows for some huge armor totals with much less time investment. Hate to say it, but I don't think it's going to be worth the effort to try and finish it solo.

Ah! I can't post on your wall because you're set to private.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

John2290 said:
spemanig said:
I can't take seriously an OP who doesn't consider games games because of the platform or input method.

Clicker games aren't video games, they are interactive screensavers. 

Clicker games are clicker games.

COKTOE said:

Yeah. Monster Camp on inferno is going to be almost impossible without going online...there might be a way though. Do you by chance have a decent Air Raider, with good weapons and armor? And a second controller? I have a friend who did it solo in split screen. I tried it too and couldn't do it, but he had roughly 4x my armor. To be honest though, I don't think I've ever even heard of anybody completing mission 96: Demon Army in solo play. It's fucking unreal. A PSN friend, MSOKusinagi3D, who legitimately ground his Wing Diver up to 600 000+ armor, AND is a really good player, couldn't do it. I've seen him put up a good fight for close to an hour, but eventually he gets overwhelmed. Again, this is with 600 000 armor. He farms AFK in split screen, which allows for some huge armor totals with much less time investment. Hate to say it, but I don't think it's going to be worth the effort to try and finish it solo.

Ah! I can't post on your wall because you're set to private.

Well so far I have done "normal" "hard" and "hardest" for both Wing Diver and Ranger and got the trophies for those. I'm currently trying inferno for the Wing Diver and after that I'll go inferno for the Ranger but I think I'll give up after that cause both my Fencer and Air Raider are untouched yet. Perhaps I'll eventually try "normal" for those last two but I can't see myself going inferno on all 4 unless I plan to spend 2000+ hours in this game or something and my obsession and addiction goes only so far...

I don't think that mission 96 you talk about is part of the first pack cause I don't see it there. Must be on the second pack. I'm just glad it's not on the main game cause I'd have to kiss my inferno trophies good bye. I mean 600K of armor is beyond impossible for me. I'm at 14K and 600 hours into the game, not sure I have enough years of life left to get to 600K of armor for my Wing Diver...

I never tried split screen but you say the armor total is better on it? I'll give it a try. So far I need to pick about 5 red armor boxes to obtain 1 point of armor for my Wing Diver which is a real bad ratio. My favorite farming mission is 29 (Brute Force), in the main game it's the one where you get the most red boxes, between 150 to 180 boxes per play through if you manage to pick them all.

EDIT: Sorry about the wall thing, I didn't even know it was set to private, I looked it up but can't find the option for that, though as a friend it should not be an issue anymore.

Last edited by CrazyGamer2017 - on 24 March 2018