By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda BotW won Best Design, Best Audio and Game of the Year award at GDC 2018

Honestly I never felt as much joy playing something for the first time, in a long time (Maybe Lost Odyssey?). Regardless well deserved.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Jumpin said:

Most of the flaws are not actually real flaws, but differences in opinion of what you think the game should be and what the Zelda dev team made it to be. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but you’re not an expert; most experts in video game design and artistry don’t seeing things the way you are, and they’re the ones handing out the awards.

Yeah experts  

They're just people with opinions. 

Not ordinary people with opinions. They range from videogame designers, producers, and artists, to professional videogame critics. People who have an expertise in the craft of videogame development and assessing the final product,In other words, experts.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 23 March 2018

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Darashiva said:
Can't dispute the others, well deserved, but does Best Audio mean best score, or just sound design in general? Because if its about the soundtrack, then I definitely don't agree with that one.

It would mean audio design, which includes all the ambient, dynamic and scripted audio triggers, all of that stuff.

Soundtracks are subjective - personally, Breath of the Wild's is by far my favourite of the Zelda franchise. I enjoyed the orchestrated renditions, both the remakes of the Koji Kondo classics and the new stuff, which really suited the events occurring in the game. It has a very timeless sound to it; and is up there with FF8 as my favourite soundtrack - of course, that's just my subjective opinion. I like orchestrated music. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 also had a great soundtrack, unfortunately, it didn't have much of a chance for the recognition it deserves due to the other Titans it was up against. As for audio as a whole, the audio implementation left a lot to be desired:

1. Voice bugs "Don't forget me." "Don't forget me." "Don't forget me."
2. Music oversaturation, like the other two Xenoblade games, after a bit you just want to hear the simple night music.
3. Lots of sound conflicts - although, minus the battle voices, generally improved from XC and XCX.
4. Repetition - despite the 6 hours of music in the game, there is TONS of repetition - which is especially noticeable if you're doing side quests in a particular region. Even worse is the repetition of battle dialogue - this area was a step down from XCX; but I think Takahashi got his wrist slapped for that because, apparently, the 11,000 lines of battle dialogue was a massive expense; for comparison's sake, JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillion is 12,500 lines in the English paperback edition I have on my coffee table... AND now I'm rambling, so I will stop here.

Anyway, yeah, soundtracks are subjective - definitely. For my tastes, Breath of the Wild tops the Zelda franchise and is in my top bunch (which also includes FF6, 7, 8, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, and GTA Vice City).

Sorry for making this post too long. I'll end it off with the E3 trailer - which is, IMO the best videogame trailer of all time - and the second time (Ocarina of Time's was #1 at one point) a Zelda game has been on top.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Darashiva said:
Can't dispute the others, well deserved, but does Best Audio mean best score, or just sound design in general? Because if its about the soundtrack, then I definitely don't agree with that one.

Soundtracks are subjective - personally, Breath of the Wild's is by far my favourite of the Zelda franchise. I enjoyed the orchestrated renditions, both the remakes of the Koji Kondo classics and the new stuff, which really suited the events occurring in the game. It has a very timeless sound to it; and is up there with FF8 as my favourite soundtrack - of course, that's just my subjective opinion. I like orchestrated music. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 also had a great soundtrack, unfortunately, it didn't have much of a chance for the recognition it deserves due to the other Titans it was up against.

Anyway, yeah, soundtracks are subjective - definitely. For my tastes, Breath of the Wild tops the Zelda franchise and is in my top bunch (which also includes FF6, 7, 8, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, and GTA Vice City).

Yeah, I have no problem with people considering the music in Breath of the Wild great, as it's, like you said, completely subjective. Personally I found it largely forgettable, but that's still just my opinion and nothing more.