By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda BotW won Best Design, Best Audio and Game of the Year award at GDC 2018

The sooner we stop masturbating over a game with so many obvious flaws because we want to buy into the hype, the better.

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
The sooner we stop masturbating over a game with so many obvious flaws because we want to buy into the hype, the better.

Too bad. Considering the previous years' winners, it's no surprise that Breath of the Wild can get away with so much.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

VGPolyglot said:
Pavolink said:
Great for Zelda.
It seems the game won the awards on the major outlets, something that no other game has done before.

?

I think he means all the major outlets. Though I wouldn't know whether that's true or not, of course.

Darashiva said:
Can't dispute the others, well deserved, but does Best Audio mean best score, or just sound design in general? Because if its about the soundtrack, then I definitely don't agree with that one.

Probably sound design (which is very deserved), but I do think Breath of the Wild's soundtrack gets a lot more hate than it deserves solely for not having a general overworld theme and being quieter than is usual for the series. I actually think it's one of the best soundtracks in the franchise. Whether it should be called soundtrack of the year is a different question, as there was stuff like Nier: Automata and Persona 5, but it should definitely be somewhere among the discussion.

RolStoppable said:

Too bad. Considering the previous years' winners, it's no surprise that Breath of the Wild can get away with so much.

Game of the Year winners in general are so fucking stupid. The fact that we're still hearing crying over Overwatch beating Uncharted 4 is astounding.

By the way, like and subscribe to my blogpost to see my game of the year #itt

Don't worry, there's people like you every year. We've all been there, actually.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

Don't worry, there's people like you every year. We've all been there, actually.

Well, I was mostly joking. I think it deserves to win. It is a bit sad though, that it is such a clear win. I think it should have been a more divisive year for critics, considering the competition is legendary in it's own right. But yeah, I was mostly joking. I was being serious when I said, it is annoying how much people masturbate over the game, though. 

mZuzek said:
Darashiva said:
Can't dispute the others, well deserved, but does Best Audio mean best score, or just sound design in general? Because if its about the soundtrack, then I definitely don't agree with that one.

Probably sound design (which is very deserved), but I do think Breath of the Wild's soundtrack gets a lot more hate than it deserves solely for not having a general overworld theme and being quieter than is usual for the series. I actually think it's one of the best soundtracks in the franchise. Whether it should be called soundtrack of the year is a different question, as there was stuff like Nier: Automata and Persona 5, but it should definitely be somewhere among the discussion.

For sound design I have no problems with BotW getting an award, but if I'm being perfectly honest, I've now listened through the soundtrack twice all the way through, and individual tracks several times over when I was putting together the top 50 video game soundtracks articles, and I can't remember a single tracks from the soundtrack. I feel like the score works really well in-game when you're actually playing, but for me personally at least, it just doesn't stand out in any way when listened to by itself.

Most of the flaws are not actually real flaws, but differences in opinion of what you think the game should be and what the Zelda dev team made it to be. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but you’re not an expert; most experts in video game design and artistry don’t seeing things the way you are, and they’re the ones handing out the awards.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Well deserved. Nothing else in 2017 really came close imho.

Jumpin said:

Most of the flaws are not actually real flaws, but differences in opinion of what you think the game should be and what the Zelda dev team made it to be. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but you’re not an expert; most experts in video game design and artistry don’t seeing things the way you are, and they’re the ones handing out the awards.

Yeah experts  

They're just people with opinions.