By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How Nintendo can challenge Sony's dominance in Europe

The answer is abondon Europe and chase China instead.

They need Europe as much as the switch need 3rd parties.

The real answer is no. India and China (aka indies) are what they should be focusing on.

Around the Network

Nintendomination.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

BlackBeauty said:

The answer is abondon Europe and chase China instead.

They need Europe as much as the switch need 3rd parties.

The real answer is no. India and China (aka indies) are what they should be focusing on.

That's an even worse idea ... 

Europe isn't even close to a lost cause for Nintendo like China is. All of Nintendo's previous attempts with their "iQue" product line in China ended in abject failure since they never went on to localize more than a dozen games in simplified chinese for every system they've released thus far ... 

At least Nintendo and it's partners do see value in localizing content for European territory ... 

So Nintendo is still ahead in the grand total, what's the problem? Even though you lump handhelds in with the home consoles, whereas I think these are different beasts because of their functionalities. Would be interesting to see how Nintendo would have fared through the years if they never released handhelds, i.e. would Nintendo fans have bought more home consoles if handhelds hadn't been available, or is it indeed the mobility that has been the deciding factor in their choices. This is an interesting aspect of the Switch as well, would it sell as well if it was home only?
Isn't it enough that Nintendo has completely dominated the handheld market forever?

Oh this guy who only owns Nintendo consoles since 2006 has made another thread worrying about Nintendo's finances.

Around the Network

I only have anecdotal evidence, but I think Nintendo will get there int he long run, if they don't screw up again. The reason I'm thinking this is because my son and all his friends at school like Nintendo better. Everytime they are around none of them cares about the PS4, they just play with the Switch or PC. Seriously, the only one playing on the Playstation here is me. The old guy who is over 30.

It kinda reminds me of the 90s when the PlayStation came out. Back then it was the opposite. Me and my friends only played with the Playstation, it was the hot shit and all. We had a N64 at home, but the only one playing on that console was my mother. Fast forward 20 years, kids have become adults and still play on their Playstation.

Like I said, it's of course anecdotal and all, but I just have this feeling that Nintendo is on the rise and Playstation just isn't as cool as it used to be among children and teenagers. At least here in Europe. And exactly those are the ones who will decide the sales of consoles in the future, so I think Ninty has a fair chance.

But yeah, I may be totally wrong, I have no evidence whatsoever, so don't take my opinion too seriously.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

OdinHades said:
I only have anecdotal evidence, but I think Nintendo will get there int he long run, if they don't screw up again. The reason I'm thinking this is because my son and all his friends at school like Nintendo better. Everytime they are around none of them cares about the PS4, they just play with the Switch or PC. Seriously, the only one playing on the Playstation here is me. The old guy who is over 30.

It kinda reminds me of the 90s when the PlayStation came out. Back then it was the opposite. Me and my friends only played with the Playstation, it was the hot shit and all. We had a N64 at home, but the only one playing on that console was my mother. Fast forward 20 years, kids have become adults and still play on their Playstation.

Like I said, it's of course anecdotal and all, but I just have this feeling that Nintendo is on the rise and Playstation just isn't as cool as it used to be among children and teenagers. At least here in Europe. And exactly those are the ones who will decide the sales of consoles in the future, so I think Ninty has a fair chance.

But yeah, I may be totally wrong, I have no evidence whatsoever, so don't take my opinion too seriously.

you are wrong. we have hard sales data that shows ps4 dominating switch in sales, the only place in europe where switch is giving ps4  fierce competition is france. 

OdinHades said:

I thought Germany was always pretty pro-Nintendo, though? 

quickrick said:

you are wrong. we have hard sales data that shows ps4 dominating switch in sales, the only place in europe where switch is giving ps4  fierce competition is france. 

Of course, old people still buy consoles after all. But I was talking about the future and stuff. 

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

OdinHades said:
quickrick said:

Of course, old people still buy consoles after all. But I was talking about the future and stuff. 

Kids play Fortnite on PS4 not Mario