By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How Nintendo can challenge Sony's dominance in Europe

"Europe is Sonyland*"
-Conventional wisdom
*home consoles

Pretty sure that is the prevailing thought and since Nintendo is out of the dedicated home console business, it'll remain true indefinitely.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Train wreck said:
"Europe is Sonyland*"
-Conventional wisdom
*home consoles

Pretty sure that is the prevailing thought and since Nintendo is out of the dedicated home console business, it'll remain true indefinitely.

If the statement were only about home consoles, then someone else would have pointed that out long ago.

"Dedicated home console business" is frog territory.

Someone else like who?

And a long time ago, how far back are we talking?

Bofferbrauer2 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Here are some observations I have made about the European market.  The UK console market is the largest market for any single European country, however it seems significantly different than the console market for mainland Europe.  In the UK Microsoft does fairly well and Nintendo has a harder time.  In the rest of Europe Nintendo does extremely well, but Microsoft has a much harder time.  Sony does well everywhere.  So when you lump all of these countries together it tends to put Sony on top, because it is doing well everywhere.

I would say if Nintendo wants to do better it needs 2 different strategies.  In the UK it needs to convince Sony/Microsoft consumers to "Switch" to Nintendo.  In the rest of Europe Nintendo simply needs to grow the market.  It's already #1 in a lot of European countries, but it can still bring in more people.

Pretty much this.

Nintendo dominated in the UK with the GB and has crushed it's opponents ever since there, first SEGA, then SONY and to a lesser degree Atari. But I feel that it's slowly getting better, and while that will be enough to overtake the PS4 there, I do think the difference between Nintendo and Sony in the future and for future consoles will be getting bigger and bigger.

Ftfy.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Lawlight said:
OdinHades said:
I only have anecdotal evidence, but I think Nintendo will get there int he long run, if they don't screw up again. The reason I'm thinking this is because my son and all his friends at school like Nintendo better. Everytime they are around none of them cares about the PS4, they just play with the Switch or PC. Seriously, the only one playing on the Playstation here is me. The old guy who is over 30.

It kinda reminds me of the 90s when the PlayStation came out. Back then it was the opposite. Me and my friends only played with the Playstation, it was the hot shit and all. We had a N64 at home, but the only one playing on that console was my mother. Fast forward 20 years, kids have become adults and still play on their Playstation.

Like I said, it's of course anecdotal and all, but I just have this feeling that Nintendo is on the rise and Playstation just isn't as cool as it used to be among children and teenagers. At least here in Europe. And exactly those are the ones who will decide the sales of consoles in the future, so I think Ninty has a fair chance.

But yeah, I may be totally wrong, I have no evidence whatsoever, so don't take my opinion too seriously.

Here’s some anecdotal evidence for you - no one I know in real life has a Switch, be it kids or adults. With regards to kids, I think most of them are playing CoD, FIFA and GTA anyway. Or if they’re playing on the Switch now, they will graduate to the PS platform at some point.

I also have some anecdotal evidence - no one I know in real life has a PS4...

This is the same as asking how DOTA 2 can challenge League of Legends dominance in the MOBA genre.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Platina said:

You forgot to mention that Nintendo was doomed from the start

They are doomed - doomed to finish second.

Like the PSP, PS3 and PS Vita you mean?

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Kjartan said:
How about Nintendo starts with adding more languages to it's system? The Switch is available in 8 different Europeans languages while this number goes up to 18 for the PS4.

This is big part.. and not only the system.. they should also make the games in more languages.. I have seen many ps games in danish.. but almost none from Nintendo.. A "thing" like labo.. and labo garage.. will sell much more (and that would sell more consoles) if it have the languages pre 15 years old can read and understand.

But I think they are on the right way... and in a not distant future.. where games a not tied to a single system... Nintendo games will dominate.. and thats a fact :)

Last edited by FromDK - on 24 March 2018

BlackBeauty said:

The answer is abondon Europe and chase China instead.

They need Europe as much as the switch need 3rd parties.

The real answer is no. India and China (aka indies) are what they should be focusing on.

Dude if they get China to convert from pc gaming to Ninty gaming with moves like they're making with tencent, no one will be able to stop switch dominance. If they get India to buy consoles as well, then it's just history. It'll happen eventually but when China joins the fray, even the US would look like child's play. Sony can have Europe all they want, if Ninty gets Asia the console wars with;; be over, done with we might even get our first 200 mil console. That's just 10% of China so imagine that. 

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also