By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Goku for Smash 5? I say YES!

Tagged games:

Should Goku Join Smash 5?

Yes 32 44.44%

No 38 52.78%

Broly 2 2.78%

Total:72
Snoorlax said:
Alkibiádēs said:
Kid Goku sure, Adult Goku, never.

Please explain, i like both but i don't get why some would prefer Kid Goku over Adult for a Smash game.

Kid Goku's attacks I feel with fit better with Smash (Power Pole, Nimbus, Kamahameha being the only beam, etc). Adult Goku would feel more... Generic.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network

It seems like everyone wants a ton of 3rd-party characters these days, to the point that the series is becoming more like a video game all-stars title rather than Nintendo all-stars.

Why is this even a debate? If the major parties involved want it to happen it will. Goku is an icon in the anime Manga industry so getting him Smash would be huge.

mZuzek said:
Azuren said:

And here's the root of your stance.

I dislike Bayonetta. I think she's a boring character who derives her value from the fanservice of becoming nearly naked when she attacks (similar to how Dante derives his value from quips and bad one-liners). Should I start going in the face of all the Bayonetta fans who want her in Smash with a half-assed excuse concerning origin? Or should I be happy that other people enjoy her enough to drive sales of the game?

It doesn't really matter, because Bayonetta is a video game character and especially now as a Nintendo exclusive for years there's no reason she wouldn't be in Smash.

I don't hate Dragon Ball, I only think it's a bad show and I've no problems with anyone willing to admit that despite enjoying it. This is definitely not the root of my stance. The root is just that Goku isn't a videogame character and as such putting him in Smash would make absolute 0 sense. It's got nothing to do with "DBZ sucks" or "he'd be way too OP!!" (lol) or anything of that sort. He's not a gaming character and that's it, that's where the debate ends.

Except he is also a game character. Is Tony Stark a comic character? Or is he a movie character?

He's both. Weird how a character can be associated with different mediums at the same time in spite of their origins.

mZuzek said:
VGPolyglot said:
It seems like everyone wants a ton of 3rd-party characters these days, to the point that the series is becoming more like a video game all-stars title rather than Nintendo all-stars.

...which it has been for a very long time now. What's concerning is that people aren't even satisfied with it being just video game all-stars.

A long time?

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Azuren said:

Except he is also a game character. Is Tony Stark a comic character? Or is he a movie character?

He's both. Weird how a character can be associated with different mediums at the same time in spite of their origins.

Tony Stark is a comic character. He can be associated with movies as well, because his presence there is quite memorable, and he also has less memorable presence in other types of media such as games. Would that make him a good choice for Smash? No, because he's a comic character.

VGPolyglot said:

A long time?

Well it has been a decade. Whether you consider that a long time or not it's up to you, but it's more than half of the franchise's lifetime by now.

I don't really count Brawl though as that only had 2, SSB4 is what really ramped it up.

mZuzek said:
Azuren said:

Tony Stark is a comic character. He can be associated with movies as well, because his presence there is quite memorable, and he also has less memorable presence in other types of media such as games. Would that make him a good choice for Smash? No, because he's a comic character.

And Goku has a very pronounced presence in gaming. You can continue to deny fictional characters' duel citizenship in mediums, but the fact remains that Goku has appeared in over 80 video games. In comparison he's appeared in 4 anime, a handful of OVA specials/crossovers, and 19 movies. 

He's just as much video game as anime at this point, and denial of that isn't based in logic. It's based in a stubborn desire to classify someone solely by their debit.

mZuzek said:
Azuren said:

And Goku has a very pronounced presence in gaming. You can continue to deny fictional characters' duel citizenship in mediums, but the fact remains that Goku has appeared in over 80 video games. In comparison he's appeared in 4 anime, a handful of OVA specials/crossovers, and 19 movies. 

He's just as much video game as anime at this point, and denial of that isn't based in logic. It's based in a stubborn desire to classify someone solely by their debut.

I'm not in denial of anything. You understand my point, and I understand yours. I'm right, and you're wrong. There's nowhere else to go with this discussion, so whatever.

Well considering you used the example that Iron Man isn't a movie character but rather a comic character while simultaneously calling Goku an "anime" character ... 

Realistically, how many times have you been right on this forum? 

When Melee came out. Smash was seen as a celebration of Nintendo characters' history.
When Brawl came out Smash was seen as a celebration of characters that appeared on Nintendo systems.
When Smash 4 came out Smash was seen as a celebration of Video game history
When Smash 5 comes out Smash was seen as a celebration of characters that appeared in Video games.

Well, Goku checks out in terms of that. Nintendo has been breaking their own rules for Smash for a while. They just have been doing it a step at a time. I wouldn't be surprised if Goku came to smash but I would be laughing at all the responses.

Honestly, I don't care anymore. Ever since Cloud came to Smash I saw that now anyone can be in Smash.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

I've seen a lot of horror movies but seeing how many people unironiclly voted yes for Goku in Smash genuinely disturbs me in a way I haven't been disturbed before.

While we're at it, let's add Shrek and Squidward to the mix. Smash needs to branch out right?