4 5 3.97%

5 16 12.70%

6 2 1.59%

7 1 0.79%

8 1 0.79%

>8 34 26.98%

Total:126
Azelover said:
It depends on the quality of the software. If it's not fun, it may go the way of Wii Music. Otherwise it will huge.

I just saw some footage of people playing the Robot, and I'm not convinced. It seems a little clunky.. 

It seems a bit Dorky to me...in all honesty.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
zorg1000 said:

Like Curl said, taking the opinion of your average single, nerdy, forum dwelling gamer probably isnt the best for gauging interest in a product aimed at kids & parents.

Hands-on impressions from the target demographic have been almost exclusively positive.

That's still very narrow viewed as well. What we don't have data on is the common joe. The person who swims the great blue sea. Those people are the target here. He don't know what they're thinking, if they're thinking anything about it at all. 

How is that narrow viewed?

Its aimed at children & parents, they have had hands on events for children & parents and the reception was extremely positive.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Nighthawk117 said:
Azelover said:
It depends on the quality of the software. If it's not fun, it may go the way of Wii Music. Otherwise it will huge.

I just saw some footage of people playing the Robot, and I'm not convinced. It seems a little clunky.. 

It seems a bit Dorky to me...in all honesty.

Yep, that too.

But it's aimed at children. I think a better comparison instead of the Wii is Nintendogs, which was also marketed to children.

What's really gonna matter is how fun the games are. What I saw from the Robot Kit didn't impress me. It looked like a chore just moving the robot around...I'm gonna have to touch it before making my mind..but it doesn't seem like a great control input. Most of the fun is probably just building the Robot.

AlfredoTurkey said:
curl-6 said:

Is it, though? Most of the negativity towards it coming from forum-dwelling gaming enthusiasts, and frankly their opinions are kinda irrelevant because they are not the target audience. 

Yes, it is. Either people are creaming their pants over it or they just don't give a shit. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground there.

As zorg pointed out, reception has been largely positive from the Labo workshops and events they've run. Almost all opposition to it comes from demographics that are not really relevant to it in the first place.

setsunatenshi said:
As the great prophet M. Pachter once said... some Nintendo fans would even buy cardboard as long as there's a Nintendo logo in it...

http://nintendotoday.com/michael-pachter-trolls-nintendo-fans/

Sure hope he's wrong though

Labo is not "cardboard with a Nintendo logo on it" though. It is software that comes with a set of peripherals, much like Mario Kart Wii with the Wii Wheel.

MasterThief said:
nintendo fanbase will buy anything they put out.

Games like Starfox Zero, Metroid Prime Federation Force, and Hey Pikmin kinda disprove this notion.
I agree with you about it being pathetic that they're repackaging last gen games at full price and they're selling, but let's not pretend Nintendo fans will flock to just anything with their logo on it.

To be honest I'm a bit dubious about pricing myself. Not much the price of the game, but the combination of game console + the game. it seems too much for a parent's gift.
But still, I thought the Switch was too pricey at launch  as well and I was wrong.

Last edited by freebs2 - on 21 March 2018

Around the Network

Everyone's talking about Labo flopping in this thread...
Guys, come on. Labo's already flopped. Don't you remember Labo Man from the trailer? Fell right on his face. Poor bastard...

lol signatues

zorg1000 said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

That's still very narrow viewed as well. What we don't have data on is the common joe. The person who swims the great blue sea. Those people are the target here. He don't know what they're thinking, if they're thinking anything about it at all. 

How is that narrow viewed?

Its aimed at children & parents, they have had hands on events for children & parents and the reception was extremely positive.

Walking up to people and having them try things is different than creating a product and marketing blitz that will reach them when they're not looking for it.

Given I've pointed the finger at others rooting for Labo's failure, I should note that I'm biased as well; I want it to succeed.

While it's not for me, in my humble opinion it's one of the most interesting and fresh things to come along in video gaming since the Wii era. These kind of unconventional products are what keeps the industry interesting, and as such I hope it finds success so as to encourage innovation.

curl-6 said:

Given I've pointed the finger at others rooting for Labo's failure, I should note that I'm biased as well; I want it to succeed.

While it's not for me, in my humble opinion it's one of the most interesting and fresh things to come along in video gaming since the Wii era. These kind of unconventional products are what keeps the industry interesting, and as such I hope it finds success so as to encourage innovation.

its a wanna be VR with cardboard.

quickrick said:
curl-6 said:

its a wanna be VR with cardboard.

VR is a boring gimmick in my opinion. Labo on the other hand actually looks interesting due to the fun of getting hands-on and building stuff, plus the potential for cool custom creations.