By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which will sell more God of War or Sea of Thieves ?

Which game will sell better?

God of War 181 85.38%

Sea of Thieves 27 12.74%

Too close to call 4 1.89%

Total:212
reviniente said:
melbye said:
Sea of Thieves being made available day one on gamepass means there is no good way to compare them in my opinion

This is actually a very good point. The most pertinent question then, would be, 'Which game will make more profit (or revenue, if that's your thing)?'

I actually agree and iv been debating this topic for awhile now, Games should be looked at as which game makes more profit/revenue because game sales are no longer accurate and can be hugely unfairly viewed upon especially if one game is offered as a free game via a pass and the other isn't. Modern gaming is a lot different to compare software sales in a digital strong world, not like the Nintendo vs Sega days where you could only buy the physical games and bundles were extremely rare. 

Around the Network

God of War

Azzanation said:

Well ill put my money on GoW however that's not based off the game being better but with afew key factors that make these type of comparisons hard and pointless.

1st - GoW will most likely be heavily bundled with most PS4s which will mean the game will sell a ton loads regardless of its quality. Like UC4 and Horizon it will have massive sales just based off the PS4s high demend. Some companies put more efforts in bundling than others so this is a big point to take into consideration.

2nd - Digital sales is becoming bigger and bigger every year so we wont ever know how many these games do digitally, some sell better than others. Games like Sea Of thieves will probably be more popular on the digital side based off its always online game genre.

3rd - Xbox Game Pass will take away from the physical sales which will make game comparisons handicapped.

4th - New IP focused on a completely different genre compared to an already established IP with a lot more marketing behind it.

Game comparisons this day and age is pointless since there isn't an accurate figure of digital sales and game passes plus games being bundled more than other games all make for nothing than just a one sided slag fest.

Yes we already now SoT will be better, MS doesn't do heavy bundling, that customers are obligated to chose the bundle of GoW and not any other available... and of course Horizon ZD had zero chance of doing good sales since it was a new IP, owww wait, it outsold Halo 5 which is from a very well establishedfranchise.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Azzanation said:

Well ill put my money on GoW however that's not based off the game being better but with afew key factors that make these type of comparisons hard and pointless.

1st - GoW will most likely be heavily bundled with most PS4s which will mean the game will sell a ton loads regardless of its quality. Like UC4 and Horizon it will have massive sales just based off the PS4s high demend. Some companies put more efforts in bundling than others so this is a big point to take into consideration.

2nd - Digital sales is becoming bigger and bigger every year so we wont ever know how many these games do digitally, some sell better than others. Games like Sea Of thieves will probably be more popular on the digital side based off its always online game genre.

3rd - Xbox Game Pass will take away from the physical sales which will make game comparisons handicapped.

4th - New IP focused on a completely different genre compared to an already established IP with a lot more marketing behind it.

Game comparisons this day and age is pointless since there isn't an accurate figure of digital sales and game passes plus games being bundled more than other games all make for nothing than just a one sided slag fest.

Yes we already now SoT will be better, MS doesn't do heavy bundling, that customers are obligated to chose the bundle of GoW and not any other available... and of course Horizon ZD had zero chance of doing good sales since it was a new IP, owww wait, it outsold Halo 5 which is from a very well establishedfranchise.

So, in short, you're betting on SoT to do better?

Is this a serious question? One is a new IP on a user base half the size of the other, which is getting a new release in a major series. God of War will outsell SoT by a mile.

I suppose it is theoretically possible that SoT could get amazing reviews, and ride its streaming success into mega-sales. GoW could, in theory, get shit reviews, release along side a bunch of much better games, and struggle. So, in this theoretical case, it may be possible for Sea of Thieves to be the bigger seller. This is so unlikely as to be totally ridiculous though.

Around the Network

I'll go with God of War.

VAMatt said:
Is this a serious question? One is a new IP on a user base half the size of the other, which is getting a new release in a major series. God of War will outsell SoT by a mile.

I suppose it is theoretically possible that SoT could get amazing reviews, and ride its streaming success into mega-sales. GoW could, in theory, get shit reviews, release along side a bunch of much better games, and struggle. So, in this theoretical case, it may be possible for Sea of Thieves to be the bigger seller. This is so unlikely as to be totally ridiculous though.

I don't find that possibility 'so unlikely as to be totally ridiculous'. Furthermore, SoT has the potential to sell digitally so masively, that, unless official statements are released, we may never know exactly how much it sold.

Edit: Corrected possiility to possibility.

twintail said:
Speaking of Game Pass, whats the possibility that MS just bundles downloads from anyone with game pass as part of the sales?

And I dont mean this is some kind of snarky way, im legit wondering if this could be done.

I'm not following.

GoW with the utmost ease.

SoT can do well in its own right, but it isn't in the same ballpark with GoW in this regard.

twintail said:
reviniente said:

I'm not following.

The thread is about how well these 2 games will sell. Then ppl have said that Game Pass will negatively impact sales numbers for SoT. My question is whether downloads of the game from anyone with game pass could theoretically be added to sales numbers. If so that means Game pass wouldnt negatively impact sales numbers (at least according to MS). Again, my question is whether this is possible.

Oh, I see. I don't think SoT downloads on Game Pass should count as individual sales. What M$ is going for, with the Game Pass initiative, is a massive installed base that brings in a steady flow of revenue. Digital sales from both Xbox One and Windows 10 players not subscribed to Game Pass should definitely count, but as I stated on another post, unless official statements are released, we may never know exactly how much it sold.