By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Smash game for Switch a port with additional characters or a brand new game?

Tagged games:

So which is it?

Port with additional characters 16 32.00%

Brand new game 34 68.00%

Total:50

I'm 99% sure it's a port. No reason to start from scratch with such ripe foundation, especially with all the relicensing hell it would cause.

I also hope it's a port.

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:

What's Sakurai's real twitter account? I can only seem to find fake ones.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

TruckOSaurus said:
Ultrashroomz said:
-Link in this game is 99.9% using his BOTW design.
-The logo they showed looks different enough and kind of gives off a different vibe compared to past games.
-The way Sakurai worded his post on Twitter sounds awkward if this is just a mere port.
-Nintendo updated the Smash Bros. website.

Signs pointing to new game.

What's Sakurai's real twitter account? I can only seem to find fake ones.

here's the account and what he said (in japanese):

Pretty much he said he has been working a lot on it for a while but he keeps silent about it and can't announce the title or release any content of the game for now. The way he said it, sounds like a new game.

All signs pointing to new so far. I'm really really hoping that a new adventure mode (preferably a polished version of the Subspace Emissary, but I'd love one like the one from Melee too; or both) is included too

I'm on the side of it being a port. I don't really see Sakurai and his team making a whole new game and releasing it so soon. That or they've continued suffering after finishing Smash 4. I feel it could be the case that they updated certain characters to reflect their most recent games, such as Link sporting his BotW look.

But hey, if it is a new game, that's cool too.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Cloudman said:
I'm on the side of it being a port. I don't really see Sakurai and his team making a whole new game and releasing it so soon. That or they've continued suffering after finishing Smash 4. I feel it could be the case that they updated certain characters to reflect their most recent games, such as Link sporting his BotW look.

But hey, if it is a new game, that's cool too.

Cloudman, you are on the side of it being a new game. You want to be on the winning team. Trust me.

Well, I'm fine either way if it's a port or a new game. I'm just glad Smash is finally coming to the switch, since my friends sold their Wii Us hoping for a Smash Switch game.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

It basically screams new game.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

spemanig said:
I'm 99% sure it's a port. No reason to start from scratch with such ripe foundation, especially with all the relicensing hell it would cause.

I also hope it's a port.

If Im not mistaken, they would need to ask again for the license to use the third party charachter again even if it was a port.Thats one of the problems when you are emulating stuff on VC, since you need the authorization of the original owner.It wouldnt be much different from making a new game, to be honest.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Would just like to point out that development for Smash for Wii U and 3DS didn't start until late April 2012. It's totally feasible that a new game would be ready by the end of this year if development started early 2016

Definitely sounds like a new game. So hyped for this!