By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Smash game for Switch a port with additional characters or a brand new game?

Tagged games:

So which is it?

Port with additional characters 16 32.00%

Brand new game 34 68.00%

Total:50

The reveal video for the Smash game on Switch was pretty cool but it was (intentionally most probably) left ambiguous as to what format the game will take. Is it Smash 4 Deluxe with the Inklings added to the roster or a brand new game built from the ground up for Switch?

I'm personally leaning towards it being a port because of the 2018 release date which would be pretty ambitious if it was a brand new game but I've seen people thinking the opposite, where do you stand?

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

New game. Sakurai already told on his twitter

Click HERE and be happy 

EricFabian said:

Color me surprised and very happy!

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
EricFabian said:

Color me surprised and very happy!

He said he is working on It in secret everyday for some time

Click HERE and be happy 

-Link in this game is 99.9% using his BOTW design.
-The logo they showed looks different enough and kind of gives off a different vibe compared to past games.
-The way Sakurai worded his post on Twitter sounds awkward if this is just a mere port.
-Nintendo updated the Smash Bros. website.

Signs pointing to new game.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

The smash game for switch only be referred to as Smitch.

Since Link is using his BOTW design, I think it's safe to assume that Mario is using his SMO design.

Sakurai said it, and you don't say "we can't announce the title yet" when it's a port.

Ultrashroomz said:
-Link in this game is 99.9% using his BOTW design.
-The logo they showed looks different enough and kind of gives off a different vibe compared to past games.
-The way Sakurai worded his post on Twitter sounds awkward if this is just a mere port.
-Nintendo updated the Smash Bros. website.

Signs pointing to new game.

What's Sakurai's real twitter account? I can only seem to find fake ones.

Signature goes here!

I don't think Nintendo would announce a port in such a cryptic way

I mean the Mario Kart 8 port wasn't even mentioned in the Nintendo Switch reveal conference, they just posted the trailer on their youtube channel afterwards

They wouldn't create such a tease video for a port, especially considering the Smash fanbase is very demanding