By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Smash game for Switch a port with additional characters or a brand new game?

Tagged games:

So which is it?

Port with additional characters 16 32.00%

Brand new game 34 68.00%

Total:50

I don't know how licensing works, but if the game was a port, would Nintendo need to get all the 3rd party IPs if the game was just a port?

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

Well shit, it looks like I was dead wrong!

But, in this instance, I'd be happy to be proven wrong... unless they cut some characters. Specifically 3rd party ones, then I'll be unhappy. (Sonic, Cloud, Bayonetta, y'all better stay put!!!)

Who knows, maybe they'll get crazy and, you know, give it a subtitle and an actual Adventure Mode this time around?

That is, if they're not planning on making a pointless-splitting-of-resources 3DS version of this one too.

wow. i really didn’t expect smash 5.

i’m excited to see what other characters end up making the roster. it’d be cool if they had doom guy and “dark souls guy” added.

DevilRising said:
Who knows, maybe they'll get crazy and, you know, give it a subtitle and an actual Adventure Mode this time around?

That is, if they're not planning on making a pointless-splitting-of-resources 3DS version of this one too.

i don’t think there will be a 3ds version this time around. 

the switch is portable so there’s no need for a 3ds version. besides, i’m sure nintendo is counting on smash 5 to sell switch consoles and a 3ds version might convince some to hold out on buying a switch still.

Around the Network

Its smash 4.75/5 probably relies heavily on the previous one, but still is a new one. Could be a smart move. And it could have a lot of free and/or paid dlc.

They are probably building it over Smash WiiU engine (character models/controls etc.), but everythings points to a new game.

I just can't believe it's a new game with all the Wii U ports coming out and I won't believe it until I see a trailer with a brand new lay-out, graphics and characters. A cheap Smash Wii U/3DS port seems like an too easy cash-in for Nintendo to skip.

I'm going to assume it's a "deluxe" version, but perhaps to a larger degree than MK8:D, more changes. With such a large number of WiiU ports for the Switch it's probably a safer bet.

But it could be an entirely new game, though it would be quick, we'll find out more at e3 probably.

Well you guys have convinced me to change my expectations to this being a brand new game! Now my hopes are way up, let's hope they are not crushed later.

Signature goes here!