By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - North Korea begins negotiations with US on abandoning its nuclear weapons

North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un, has told South Korean envoys that he is willing to begin negotiations with the United States on abandoning its nuclear weapons and that it would suspend all nuclear and missile tests while engaged in such talks, South Korean officials said on Tuesday.

President Trump reacted with guarded optimism to the news, which potentially represented a major defusing of one of the world’s most tense confrontations.

“The North Korean side clearly stated its willingness to denuclearize,” the statement said. “It made it clear that it would have no reason to keep nuclear weapons if the military threat to the North was eliminated and its security guaranteed.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/06/world/asia/north-korea-south-nuclear-weapons.html

Around the Network

“It made it clear that it would have no reason to keep nuclear weapons if the military threat to the North was eliminated and its security guaranteed.”

So they're just gonna demand that the US completely pulls out of South Korea and Japan and ceases all military drills.

Eh...what now?
They were working so long for creating nuclear weapons and now they want to get rid of it? Either they failed miserable on producing them or they negotiation tactic is a fluke.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Oh crap, so what about WW3?
With this kind of news how are we supposed to ever see WW3 right?
There's still Russia but this NK business is a bummer. If you can't get to WW3 with two madmen such as Kim Jong Un and Donald Trump then who can you trust for the job?
What a disappointingly peaceful world that we live in.

So its all fine now? Yeah, tell that to the regular people living in NK.

Around the Network

Sounds promising, but it's something I rather feel paranoid about. I'm glad that Trump is also looking for peace here.

KLXVER said:
So its all fine now? Yeah, tell that to the regular people living in NK.

Or the Yemenis or Eritreans. Whats the point asking this question? Violent regime change should not be the goal here, because that did not work out wonderfully in the past 3 decades. Signs of dialog is always a good thing. That will ultimately lead to better lives for the entire nation.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

This would help me to rest a bit easier. That would mean Trump wouldn't use war with them as a universal rallying effort to get behind him once things get worse in the White house.

poklane said:

“It made it clear that it would have no reason to keep nuclear weapons if the military threat to the North was eliminated and its security guaranteed.”

So they're just gonna demand that the US completely pulls out of South Korea and Japan and ceases all military drills.

That's the way I read that statement too.

Peh said:
Eh...what now?
They were working so long for creating nuclear weapons and now they want to get rid of it? Either they failed miserable on producing them or they negotiation tactic is a fluke.

See above, Kim gets to look like the good guy asking for something he knows isn't going to happen.

Hopefully I'm just being pessimistic and this really is a step in the right direction. Lets say they do quit with the nukes, will Kim open his country to the rest of the world and increase the standard of living for his people?

Hopefully progress can be made.