By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: More Focus On 1st Party Titles

BraLoD said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

In 2018.....they will

LoD released 1999, maybe they are waiting for 2999...

If that's true, then time for you to go on a tomb raiding adventure for the "Fountain of Youth", cause you'll never taste another LoD ever again.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Around the Network
Barkley said:

Are Sony trying to commit to some sort of exclusive each month for 2018?

January - SF:V Arcade Edition Update
February - Shadow of the Colossus
March - Bravo Team/MLB 18
April - God of War
May - Detroit
June - Patapon 2
July - Dreams
August - MediEvil
September - Spyro Trilogy
October - Spiderman
November - Days Gone
December - Death Stranding

No, I don't think this is going to happen, but it would be incredible.

I think Days Gone is releasing in June (according to GameStop).

Sony realized that they can dish out better 1st party games than 99% of 3rd party studios, soooo lets double down on making our studios better. Great way forward.

loy310 said:
Sony realized that they can dish out better 1st party games than 99% of 3rd party studios, soooo lets double down on making our studios better. Great way forward.

So, true. Sony's 1st party has been on another level since they created WWS, and seems to just keep getting better every year. 

It is very nice to see our money going back to make the platform even better. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

flashfire926 said:
Even as someone who doesn't own a PS4, I admit, Sony has absolutely been killing it in terms of exclusives, especially on the single player side of things.

You were just saying in the Horizon sales thread that you enjoyed the few hours you spent on the game...

flashfire926 said:
Azuren said:

Ooh, touched a nerve. Sony never cancelled any of it's massive IPs in the middle of development to shut down those studios. Scalebound and Fable were the reasons I even considered an XB1.

That doesnt give sony a free pass to close down studios. They are just as guilty of it as Microsoft are.

Sony is worse. They shut down both their arcade racing game developers Evolution and Liverpool and now have nothing to go against Forza Horizon. Now Evolution is making OnRush for all platforms and that will probably be dope as hell. Guerilla Cambridge made the only good FPS game on Vita with Killzone: Mercenary and the well recieved RIGS on PSVR both didn't sell well because they were on a small userbase, that is not really their fault at all. Bigbig had a lot of potential and Pursuit Force was the best new IP Sony had on the PSP. Sony really messed up with these developers, if they kept them they could have had a better lineup for racing game and FPS fans.

CGI-Quality said:
I can't believe this is becoming a battle over who closed down what studios. Really, guys? Not relevant to the topic at all.

In any event, hearing that In-House is the focus going forward is incredibly exciting, especially if Horizon is anything to go on!

This is about first party so I think its totally relevant to talk about the studios that Sony shut down.

Horizon's huge success probably played a part in this new outlook.

Carl2291 said:
This is a good thing and I completely support it.

When they were forced into pushing 1st party content on PS3 after getting stomped into the ground, we got some of the absolute best games the generation had to offer. More of that and the PS4 will have a great final few years.

Agreed!

loy310 said:

Yes, Sony and Nintendo make most of the awesome games of recent times as well as smaller developers. Big third parties make the most mainstream games possible that as a result have no character or identity and are monetized so badly they give mobile games a run for their money.

Around the Network
GOWTLOZ said:
flashfire926 said:
Even as someone who doesn't own a PS4, I admit, Sony has absolutely been killing it in terms of exclusives, especially on the single player side of things.

You were just saying in the Horizon sales thread that you enjoyed the few hours you spent on the game...

I played at a friend's house. Hence, its only a few hours and not the the whole game.  I'm really looking to getting a PS4 within thee next few months.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Nem said:
KBG29 said:
I just hope they have huge efforts for AAA PSVR games. I want to see what a Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Guerilla Games, and Polyphony Digital can do with 100% efforts focused on VR development. TLOU, GOW, Killzone/Horizon, and GT will see incredible advancements once they move to VR. It truly is the largest step forward in the history of the industry.

Oh stop it with the fail VR. Making games for a 2m market is just gonna get studios closed.

They should make games for the 70m userbase PS4.

If you like VR, theres new technologies being worked on that sound way more promising from an australian studio. I forget the name (edit:  Euclideon ). They are working on a new technology that will solve the computation problem. Also, they don't use a freaking helmet but a pair of glasses. That has potencial. The current stuff is a dud. It's time to stop wasting time and resources on it.

Sorry, i know this triggers you and fans, but it's the truth. Place your bets on a better horse.

I understand that you must be frustrated, but don’t expect others to be as well, just because you prefer to live in the past and distant future.

Nem said:
DonFerrari said:

Still, they have to convince developers to create using their engine and also customers to buy their product... without platform holder or big publisher support that may be a hard road.

I don't have a crystal ball, i can't tell the future. But i can tell the past. It tells me VR hardware hasn't managed to hit critical mass. So, it's time to change the strategy and realise where the problems are and how to adress them.

So by looking in the past you missed Sony saying they are outpacing their projections with VR?

GOWTLOZ said:
flashfire926 said:

flashfire926 said:

That doesnt give sony a free pass to close down studios. They are just as guilty of it as Microsoft are.

Sony is worse. They shut down both their arcade racing game developers Evolution and Liverpool and now have nothing to go against Forza Horizon. Now Evolution is making OnRush for all platforms and that will probably be dope as hell. Guerilla Cambridge made the only good FPS game on Vita with Killzone: Mercenary and the well recieved RIGS on PSVR both didn't sell well because they were on a small userbase, that is not really their fault at all. Bigbig had a lot of potential and Pursuit Force was the best new IP Sony had on the PSP. Sony really messed up with these developers, if they kept them they could have had a better lineup for racing game and FPS fans.

CGI-Quality said:
I can't believe this is becoming a battle over who closed down what studios. Really, guys? Not relevant to the topic at all.

In any event, hearing that In-House is the focus going forward is incredibly exciting, especially if Horizon is anything to go on!

This is about first party so I think its totally relevant to talk about the studios that Sony shut down.

Horizon's huge success probably played a part in this new outlook.

Carl2291 said:
This is a good thing and I completely support it.

When they were forced into pushing 1st party content on PS3 after getting stomped into the ground, we got some of the absolute best games the generation had to offer. More of that and the PS4 will have a great final few years.

Agreed!

loy310 said:

Yes, Sony and Nintendo make most of the awesome games of recent times as well as smaller developers. Big third parties make the most mainstream games possible that as a result have no character or identity and are monetized so badly they give mobile games a run for their money.

Sony gives freedom to the studios and also forgive a lot of failures... so the studios closed really wasn't delivering good sales.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Where does that leave Microsoft with its 3rd party centric focus?

Helloplite said:
Where does that leave Microsoft with its 3rd party centric focus?

It leaves them with "best lineup ever for Holidays 2018 on Xbox"

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."