By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Impossible" ports

bonzobanana said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah, aside from the unfortunate lack of music, the Jaguar port of Doom was a damn fine piece of work.

The SNES port is also noteworthy for being something of a technical miracle. 

The snes port was weird though the way they always faced you, you could never approach from behind plus missing floor and ceiling textures. Got the job done though. I guess the snes wolfenstein port is more impressive in someways as it was achieved without a SFX chip.

Wolfenstein 3D was a lot less demanding on the hardware. It ran better on a 10 - 16 MHz 286 than Doom on a 386 DX40



Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Need for Speed Most Wanted on Vita deserves a mention I feel; it's remarkable how closely it replicates the full fat console versions

I have this game on Vita but have never been past the start menu because signing up for Origin is required ( which is unbelievably lame ) , and I cannot complete the registration. It just won't go through for some reason. It does look pretty though!



- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Nobody mentioned this?



Or this?



Conina said:
bonzobanana said:

The snes port was weird though the way they always faced you, you could never approach from behind plus missing floor and ceiling textures. Got the job done though. I guess the snes wolfenstein port is more impressive in someways as it was achieved without a SFX chip.

Wolfenstein 3D was a lot less demanding on the hardware. It ran better on a 10 - 16 MHz 286 than Doom on a 386 DX40

No question but without the SFX 32bit risc dsp chip that doom used the Snes just had a 6502 based processor I think and its standard gpu. So a huge difference in power. I would say on face value what was achieved with wolfenstein on standard hardware was more impressive than doom with the SFX chip especially when you see the compromises they made to Doom to get it working, simplified engine, missing textures etc. 



bonzobanana said:
curl-6 said: 

Yeah, aside from the unfortunate lack of music, the Jaguar port of Doom was a damn fine piece of work.

The SNES port is also noteworthy for being something of a technical miracle. 

The snes port was weird though the way they always faced you, you could never approach from behind plus missing floor and ceiling textures. Got the job done though. I guess the snes wolfenstein port is more impressive in someways as it was achieved without a SFX chip. Here's the megadrive and snes versions of wolfenstein compared. The megadrive version is quite impressive but is unofficial and very recent and only features the shareware level I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v4SyWSlnJA

I wasted a lot of time on the snes version many years ago. 

Yeah I own SNES Doom myself and have sunk many hours into its 15fps glory, haha. Interestingly, it doesn't use the actual Doom engine, but a custom engine designed by the guys who ported it, which they called the "Reality engine". Some steep compromises were necessary to get it running, but funnily enough it actually has some advantages over versions on stronger hardware; for example, the level designs are closer to the PC version, and its the only console version from the 90s to feature the secret levels, plus it has the Spiderdemon and Cyberdemon bosses that were missing from the 32X, Jaguar, and 3DO versions.

It's certainly a curious case, and definitely an example of a port that was considered impossible by many at the time.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

DOOM on the Switch is pretty damn impressive. I mean my potato PC with its R7 240 is still much more powerful than the Switch, yet it can barely maintain 30 FPS on its lowest settings at 720p. And considering the former is portable makes it even more impressive.



Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

barneystinson69 said:

DOOM on the Switch is pretty damn impressive. I mean my potato PC with its R7 240 is still much more powerful than the Switch, yet it can barely maintain 30 FPS on its lowest settings at 720p. And considering the former is portable makes it even more impressive.

No, the R7 240 is NOT much more powerful than a Tegra X1:



Conina said:
barneystinson69 said:

DOOM on the Switch is pretty damn impressive. I mean my potato PC with its R7 240 is still much more powerful than the Switch, yet it can barely maintain 30 FPS on its lowest settings at 720p. And considering the former is portable makes it even more impressive.

No, the R7 240 is NOT much more powerful than a Tegra X1:

Guess my PC really is a potato...



Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Qwark said:

Rise of the Tomb raider to xbox 360, Forza Horizon 2 to xbox 360, Metal Gear solid 5 to 7th gen consoles. Don't know if it really counts but the fact that the 3ds could run smash bros wa's also.pretty impressive.

The 3DS version was obviously dedicated to the hardware so it ran really well. Its impressive that it can run at 60fps even with all the chaos and the Pokémon and assist trophies also looked good despite them running at 30fps. And it can run well online if both players have good connection.



Qwark said:

Rise of the Tomb raider to xbox 360, Forza Horizon 2 to xbox 360, Metal Gear solid 5 to 7th gen consoles. Don't know if it really counts but the fact that the 3ds could run smash bros wa's also.pretty impressive.

Forza Horizon 2 is hugely gimped for Xbox 360, to the point where the first game actually looks better graphically.

-invisible borders everywhere, when they weren't present in xone version

-no dlc

-no cross country races

-only half the showcase events 

-no drivatars

-no weather

-airport, harbour, and castle areas are inaccessible.

I could keep going on and on.



Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.