By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Impossible" ports

bonzobanana said:
curl-6 said: 

Yeah, aside from the unfortunate lack of music, the Jaguar port of Doom was a damn fine piece of work.

The SNES port is also noteworthy for being something of a technical miracle. 

The snes port was weird though the way they always faced you, you could never approach from behind plus missing floor and ceiling textures. Got the job done though. I guess the snes wolfenstein port is more impressive in someways as it was achieved without a SFX chip. Here's the megadrive and snes versions of wolfenstein compared. The megadrive version is quite impressive but is unofficial and very recent and only features the shareware level I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v4SyWSlnJA

I wasted a lot of time on the snes version many years ago. 

Yeah I own SNES Doom myself and have sunk many hours into its 15fps glory, haha. Interestingly, it doesn't use the actual Doom engine, but a custom engine designed by the guys who ported it, which they called the "Reality engine". Some steep compromises were necessary to get it running, but funnily enough it actually has some advantages over versions on stronger hardware; for example, the level designs are closer to the PC version, and its the only console version from the 90s to feature the secret levels, plus it has the Spiderdemon and Cyberdemon bosses that were missing from the 32X, Jaguar, and 3DO versions.

It's certainly a curious case, and definitely an example of a port that was considered impossible by many at the time.

Around the Network

DOOM on the Switch is pretty damn impressive. I mean my potato PC with its R7 240 is still much more powerful than the Switch, yet it can barely maintain 30 FPS on its lowest settings at 720p. And considering the former is portable makes it even more impressive.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

barneystinson69 said:

DOOM on the Switch is pretty damn impressive. I mean my potato PC with its R7 240 is still much more powerful than the Switch, yet it can barely maintain 30 FPS on its lowest settings at 720p. And considering the former is portable makes it even more impressive.

No, the R7 240 is NOT much more powerful than a Tegra X1:

Conina said:
barneystinson69 said:

Guess my PC really is a potato...

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Qwark said:

Rise of the Tomb raider to xbox 360, Forza Horizon 2 to xbox 360, Metal Gear solid 5 to 7th gen consoles. Don't know if it really counts but the fact that the 3ds could run smash bros wa's also.pretty impressive.

The 3DS version was obviously dedicated to the hardware so it ran really well. Its impressive that it can run at 60fps even with all the chaos and the Pokémon and assist trophies also looked good despite them running at 30fps. And it can run well online if both players have good connection.

Around the Network
Qwark said:

Rise of the Tomb raider to xbox 360, Forza Horizon 2 to xbox 360, Metal Gear solid 5 to 7th gen consoles. Don't know if it really counts but the fact that the 3ds could run smash bros wa's also.pretty impressive.

Forza Horizon 2 is hugely gimped for Xbox 360, to the point where the first game actually looks better graphically.

-invisible borders everywhere, when they weren't present in xone version

-no dlc

-no cross country races

-only half the showcase events 

-no drivatars

-no weather

-airport, harbour, and castle areas are inaccessible.

I could keep going on and on.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

curl-6 said:

Need for Speed Most Wanted on Vita deserves a mention I feel; it's remarkable how closely it replicates the full fat console versions

Criterion games was always great at optimization. The same game had a Wii U version, which performed and looked better than x360/PS3 (something that can seldomly be said) because they took some extra time so the game can take advantage of Wii U's gpu.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Conina said:
barneystinson69 said:

-benchhmarks image-

Worth noting that the Google Pixel C GPU is clocked at ~850mhz, and the Shield TV at 1ghz, whilst the Switch GPU is clocked at 768mhz whilst docked.

So the Google Pixel C is close but still better than a Switch. But yeah an R7 240 is definitely not "much more powerful" than the Switch's GPU. It's very marginally better. So not surprising that Doom could run equal or better on the Switch.

flashfire926 said:
curl-6 said:

Need for Speed Most Wanted on Vita deserves a mention I feel; it's remarkable how closely it replicates the full fat console versions

Criterion games was always great at optimization. The same game had a Wii U version, which performed and looked better than x360/PS3 (something that can seldomly be said) because they took some extra time so the game can take advantage of Wii U's gpu.

I don't disagree about looking better as the wii u had improved textures in a few places but the game still had a cutdown number of online players, slower loading and lacked the 7.1 soundtrack of ps3 for example. Also the lack of analogue triggers on the gamepad meant the game simply didn't feel as good to play as the ps3 and 360 in my opinion, rumble felt worse too. I personally consider it a weaker version overall in actual playability (I own all three versions). For me I'd struggle to decide which is better ps3 or 360 and wouldn't consider the wii u to be in the running. It's not always about better graphics if the game is cut-down elsewhere.

bonzobanana said:
flashfire926 said:

I don't disagree about looking better as the wii u had improved textures in a few places but the game still had a cutdown number of online players, slower loading and lacked the 7.1 soundtrack of ps3 for example. Also the lack of analogue triggers on the gamepad meant the game simply didn't feel as good to play as the ps3 and 360 in my opinion, rumble felt worse too. I personally consider it a weaker version overall in actual playability (I own all three versions). For me I'd struggle to decide which is better ps3 or 360 and wouldn't consider the wii u to be in the running. It's not always about better graphics if the game is cut-down elsewhere.

All you say is true, but the that's more the fault of the wii U for having no analogue triggers, weaker gpu, and inferior online network.  That dioesnt take away from Criterion.

Bet with Intrinsic: