By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Homebrew-launcher for Switch released

A first Homebrew-launcher for Switch was released. It can only be installed with Version 3.0.0, but as we know further bugs exist even in hardware, so I expect more exploits to install it on other versions too will pop-up.

And for the 'homebrew is only a smoke mirror for pirates'-fraction: the launcher cannot execute copied gamedumps.

Sooo, what do you think?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Not that into homebrew myself. I mean all I want is to get away from that hardware. I just hope that these things will lead to revelations for the eventual emulators.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Mnementh said:

And for the 'homebrew is only a smoke mirror for pirates'-fraction: the launcher cannot execute copied gamedumps.

C'mon, you know this is just a start. The ultimate goal is obviously execute gamedumps. No one would risk to brick their 300 dollars console by installing non official software just to get... what? Menu themes? Internet browser? Get real...

I hope Nintendo manages to keep this away from the lastest firmware versions.

Vodacixi said:
Mnementh said:

C'mon, you know this is just a start. The ultimate goal is obviously execute gamedumps. No one would risk to brick their 300 dollars console by installing non official software just to get... what? Menu themes? Internet browser? Get real...

Yes, no one wants to run homebrew and emulators, clearly piracy is the only possible goal for every single person involved.

But apparently the Switch is exploitable at the hardware level, only a hardware revision can fix it.

Barkley said:

But apparently the Switch is exploitable at the hardware level, only a hardware revision can fix it.

Yes, this was the hack recently of fail0verflow. They did it only for bragging rights, no exploit released, but only a question of time until others find it.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Around the Network
vivster said:
Not that into homebrew myself. I mean all I want is to get away from that hardware. I just hope that these things will lead to revelations for the eventual emulators.

Finally Virtual Console.

Barkley said:
Vodacixi said:

Yes, no one wants to run homebrew and emulators, clearly piracy is the only possible goal for every single person involved.

Yup. Can't wait to see what teamxecuter has to show: not to mention they said Nintendo would not be able to patch their exploit - though I bet they are being overconfident, one only needs to look at the history of MS combatting the X360 hacks.

Barkley said:
Vodacixi said:

I didn't say no one wants homebrew and emulators. Heck, I want emulators. I said, no one would risk to brick their very expensive console just for those things. There's a fundemantal difference.

I hope you are wrong on the last and Nintendo can do something about it without creating a Switch 2.0

The Yuzu emulator is gradually evolving, its some way of running commercial games but much of the underlying hardware emulation is working. As already pointed out as the Switch becomes more hacked emulation evolves with it as more code is decrypted which helps with both. The issue with releasing low performance hardware is emulation is always a risk. We saw Zelda BOTW pretty much emulated immediately and running much better on PC emulated than wii u or Switch actual hardware. Some people have even gone on to mod and enhance the game. I've seen people state they actually much prefer playing it emulated on PC who own the original game on wii u or Switch.

My PC isn't up to the task and play it only as an original on my wii u but must admit if and when I upgrade my PC I will be tempted to play and see many wii u games on it in 4k at 60fps.

We haven't seen I believe decent emulators for ps3 or 360 yet but wii u is pretty much running better than the original emulated most of the time despite being a much newer console. The simplicity of the Switch design should enable emulation pretty quick too. It is a stock Tegra X1 chipset after all so the hardware is fully exposed in many other hardware devices its really just hacking Nintendo's firmware and game encryption. In theory it should be one of the easiest to do although writing that I have no idea how secure the firmware and game encryption is compared to other consoles but at least its not unique hardware its fully documented and exposed.

We will probably see decent Switch emulation before PS3 and 360 too. I think PS3 is developing quite well but with poor compatibility so far but I'm not sure how much has been achieved with 360 emulation. It has some very high bandwidth sections of its design which it relies on quite heavily or maybe just lack of interest by emulator writers. Whatever it certainly seems like we could be playing some emulated Switch games within a year. The homebrew stuff they have got running on a real Switch they have also got running on the Yuzu emulator I believe but its only basic display output not making use of the powerful nvidia gpu hardware. I certainly feel Switch commercial game emulation is now not a question of 'if' but more 'when'.

Barkley said:
Vodacixi said:

well lets be hoeset the fraction that want to run homebrew and emulators would be small.

Smartphones already have emulators and shitload of software for every kind of need. Most people would just use them devices.

There comes a point where someone has to say i have so many fricken devices that run emulators why would I need another lol.