By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 vs Switch: Launch aligned, who hits 100 million first?

which will reach 100m faster?

PS4 94 70.68%

Switch 39 29.32%

Total:133

unless something happens with the PS4 like buying the system is proved to cause some STDs then I see no real way that the Switch could ever beat it to 100m.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

Seriously? Does this even need to asked?

killeryoshis said:
flashfire926 said:
My lifetime estimates for Switch is 90-95M at this moment (due to nintendo replacing their consoles fairly quickly), so PS4 by default.

I don't agree with Nintendo replacing consoles quickly. Most of their consoles release when the competition does. The only short ones was the GBA and Wii U. 

Nintendo has been talking about letting the Switch last longer than the normal 5 to 6 years already. It sounds like they want a short lifespan. Also I the 3DS --> Switch lifespan is 6 years. That is a normal lifespan for a console. The Wii U --> Switch is only short because Nintendo combined the home and handheld console hardware. 

I just don't see Nintendo releasing a new console soon. The Switch is already a really powerful handheld. Probably the strongest they can make it right now. I just don't see how they can justify a new console so soon unless they come up with some crazy good idea. If Nintendo is just going to release a more powerful Switch than it is best to wait at least 6 years from now. I.E not a short lifespan.

So 100 million should be more than doable unless Nintendo decides to make a lot of bad mistakes.

I'm basing my prediction off all previous nintendo home consoles. SNES, N64, GC, Wii, and Wii U had their successors come out in 5-6 years.

By "fairly quickly", I meant 5-6 years, not 3-4 years. Gen 7-8 have long lifespans for xbox/ps, so compared to that its "fairly quickly".

And just because Nintendo will support Switch for longer than that time period, doesn't mean a new console cant come in the midst of that.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:

I'm basing my prediction off all previous nintendo home consoles. SNES, N64, GC, Wii, and Wii U had their successors come out in 5-6 years.

By "fairly quickly", I meant 5-6 years, not 3-4 years. Gen 7-8 have long lifespans for xbox/ps, so compared to that its "fairly quickly".

And just because Nintendo will support Switch for longer than that time period, doesn't mean a new console cant come in the midst of that.

Nice try 

Sony
PS1 --> PS2 (6 years)
PS2 --> PS3 (6 years)
PS3 --> PS4 (7 years)

Microsoft
Xbox -> Xbox 360 (4 years)
Xbox 360 -> Xbox One (8 years)

A system lasting 6 years actually fairly normal. Generation 7 was just prolong so long because the tech wasn't ready and Sony and Microsoft wanted to recoup some of the costs for generation 7. Nintendo home consoles usually last 5 years. The only expectation was the Wii which was replaced in 6 years. Also the Wii was outdated tech wise in 2006 (ignoring motion controls). Nintendo will replace the Switch when it is a good idea and depending on what the competition is doing. If Sony and Microsoft drag out Generation 9 like they are dragging generation 7 & 8 than I wouldn't expect Nintendo to replace the Switch so early. Especially if the Switch is super successful . 

Here are the handhelds
Gameboy -> GBA (11 years!)
GBA -> DS (4 years)
DS -> 3DS (6 years)

Handheld lifetimes are all over the place. The gameboy lasting as long as it did was due to a hardware refresh and pokemon and no competition. GBA had a short lifespan due to Nintendo hurrying up to make a system to compete with the PSP. DS had a standard life cycle and so did the 3DS. Remember the Switch is also a Nintendo handheld. So you have to take consideration of both home and handheld markets. Nintendo might drag out the Switch lifespan if Sony and Microsoft do the same for the PS5 and Xbox 4. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo wait 7-8 years to release a new system. I think 6 years is the earliest they will release a Generation 10 console. 

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Aligned launch? Anyone's game at this point. I'd prefer to wait for the full first year sales for both platforms before giving an answer, and even then I remain skeptical of giving a solid answer as I'm not sure how frontloaded Switch will be.

As far as who will hit it first, it's a no brainier that 70m+ is closer to 100m than 14m.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network

I am also interested in seeing what sort of legs Switch will have first, may have a lot of early adopters because of the terrible Wii U experience.

It's a secret ballot. Tag.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

The ps4 will surpass 100m early next year and wont hit a brick wall after that. I'm not even sure switch could reach 80m. Switch might barely reach 100m lifetime which means it would take 7-8 years for switch to get to 100m just like the wii

It'll likely be the PS4, though how is the Switch selling compared to the PS4 at the time of its 1st year?

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

wow lots of people missing launch aligned (or was there an edit)

I voted PS4 but then again if Pokemon ends up being a monster along with Animal Crossing and who knows what else... I think LAUNCH ALIGNED Nintendo is not necessarily out of the running for fastest to 100 mil.