By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Feminists outrage at walk on/Grid girls, F1 & Darts models ban. Your thoughts?

I am...

In support of Grid girls. 72 79.12%

I support banning grid gi... 6 6.59%

Indifferent or unsure. 12 13.19%

Comments... 1 1.10%

Total:91

Feminists want to ban beauty.

Around the Network

Modern (3rd wave) feminism has absolutely nothing to do with equality - quite the opposite.

#SaveTheGridGirls

I think people misunderstand the whole notion behind this. Its not about taking away the freedom of the girls, its about encouraging a fairer culture/code of conduct/representation in the sports. A guy couldn't just decide to performs these roles because there is no openning for them.

Its about the culture you want the sport to represent and encourage that is far bigger and generational then the jobs they loose, but also less a tangible subject.

Jealous women ruining it for those willing to train and eat healthily to look great.

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Around the Network
estebxx said:
They arent forcing them to work there, and in fact they seem to enjoyed it... they should be able to work at whatever job they wanna do

That logic goes far beyond the level of whiny feminists. Sure those girls are only their for entertainment purposes by being eyecandy. But they get paid rather well and in darts even gain some fame. Just because someone likes to look at walk on girls doesn't mean he only sees women as sex objects, but again that line of thought is not possible for people who think this is a major issue.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Do I think it should be banned? No.

But if I had my own Formula 1/Dart tournament, would I hire grid girls/walk-on girls/whatever? No. Just seems tacky and... purposeless.

As far as I can tell, this were decisions made by the organisation itself, which is completely their choice. It even says it was after discussion with broadcasters. Should they be forced to include them? :-|

Otter said:
  1. I think people misunderstand the whole notion behind this. Its not about taking away the freedom of the girls, its about encouraging a fairer culture/code of conduct/representation in the sports. A guy couldn't just decide to performs these roles because there is no openning for them. 

Its about the culture you want the sport to represent and encourage that is far bigger and generational then the jobs they loose, but also less a tangible subject.

Well modelling is a tough world and their simply isn't a market for male eyecandy in sports dominantly watched by men. Men and women have different taste in general. Some sports largely attract men (F1 and darts) well others largely attract women (horse/dance/gymnastics). While other sports are more unisex (iceskating, soccer and most very popular sports).

Now I agree that most popular sports which are watched by both sexes somewhat equally should appease to both man and woman. So both sides should be equally represented. I could see why walk on girls during soccer matches are an issue. But let sports like darts and F1 which will always dominantly  cater a male audience be targeted at that audience.

In the Netherlands they once held a girls only auto convenention day. It was a total disaster sales wise, mainly because men and women have different taste. Sure there are women who like F1 and cars, but there are far more men who are into that. Besides I know a few women who enjoy F1 and even darts. But in general they never complaint about it.

But if we ban walk on girls, shouldn't we also ban booth babes

Ka-pi96 said:
Qwark said:

That logic goes far beyond the level of whiny feminists. Sure those girls are only their for entertainment purposes by being eyecandy. But they get paid rather well and in darts even gain some fame. Just because someone likes to look at walk on girls doesn't mean he only sees women as sex objects, but again that line of thought is not possible for people who think this is a major issue.

I don't even get why that's an issue anyway. "there's more to a person that just the way they look" sure, but I couldn't give a fuck about people's life story in other job and only judge them on how well they perform said job, why should that be different if their job is looking good? I mean, when you hire a lawyer you only care about whether they're a good lawyer, no? So what's wrong with only caring about whether a model is a good model?

Nothing at all. It's only when girls are in all forms of media and sports projected as sexobjects this could become an issue, since it will change the way some men see women. But to do that there is an awful lot more necessary than a simple walk on act.

RolStoppable said:
One of the rare instances where I can agree with something you said. It really is all about crab mentality, i.e. jealous women purposefully trying to ruin it for women who are qualified for such jobs.

Exactly: if they're willing, qualified, and respected, why is it anyone else's business?