By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Monolith Soft interested in having its Kyoto studio work on original games

A studio for new ips and other for Xenoblade? because the new monolith project looks very promising to me, let's see what they are planning in the future...

Monolith Soft currently has two studios. Its main branch in Tokyo primarily works on entirely new titles, such as the Xenoblade series. There’s also a studio in Kyoto that tends to help with development on Nintendo titles with a focus on basic art and graphical details, which mainly houses designers as its staff.

In a new interview published on Monolith Soft’s website, the company’s Yasuyuki Honne was asked about the Kyoto studio possibly bringing in other staffers like programmers and planners. Honne acknowledged this, as they hope that the team will be able to create original games of their own one day.

Here’s the full excerpt:

Do you have any thoughts about placing programmers and planners at the Kyoto studio, just like Tokyo?

That’s right. Of course, we do hope for the Kyoto studio to also develop original titles someday.

Does that mean they want to create titles on their own?

Yes, of course. This is still just talk about the future though. We’re more or less thinking about making an organizational structure that can still function [and won’t impede work activity] no matter what happens.

Source 1 and Source 2

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Around the Network

They must be bored of just helping with Mario Kart and 3DS Zelda games. It would be awesome to see two RPGs from Monolith each console gen at least. I'd love to see them make a mecha action RPG. Yeah XCX has mechs in it but I mean the game revolves around the mechanics of being an RPG Mecha. Hell, maybe a TPS RPG. Whatever they decide to do I will keep an eye out.

They should have some experience by now so having them work on original titles would be a good decision.

It would be awesome to have two Monolith games instead of one. Maybe they finish up the loose ends that Xenoblade X gave us >:(

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

This studio has earned my trust and utmost respect. I've sank well over 300 hundred into their titles. I hope Nintendo allows them to flourish like Sony does with its studios. I feel like they've been wasting Retro, I pray Monolith doesn't go the same way.

Games are fun.

Around the Network

They know their stuff, let them make their own projects.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I'm pretty sure that if Kyoto ends up making original titles, both studios will be making original titles. Because I think it's the main team behind the New IP, and I don't think Kyoto would just move on to Xenoblade.

I'm totally down for this!

The Kyoto team has clearly proven themselves to be very talented, capable, and trustworthy. And to have not one, but TWO, Monolith Soft studios working on games in addition to Xenoblade, and if they prove to be just as good as Xenoblade in terms of quality, or maybe even better, then we could be in for something truly special.

Monolith Soft has the potential to be Nintendo's Naughty Dog (All due respect to Retro Studios). They could produce some huge, blockbuster, system selling IPs that could rank amongst Nintendo's Elite. Not quite on the level of Mario and Pokemon (in fact, they'll probably be nowhere near Mario and Pokemon,) but definitely around the levels of Zelda, Animal Crossing, and Splatoon, as well as above their B Tier franchises like Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong, and Kirby.

I'm just thinking about a Xenoblade Chronicles 3, with the budget, resources, and marketing on the level of a mainline Final Fantasy. The fact that Xenoblade 2 managed to surpass both 1 & X in just one month shows that there is definitely room for growth and even bigger success. The potential is definitely there. It's on Nintendo to tap into it and provide the money, resources, and most of all,  creative freedom, necessary to allow Monolith Soft to reach it.

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 13 February 2018

itsyounghavok said:
This studio has earned my trust and utmost respect. I've sank well over 300 hundred into their titles. I hope Nintendo allows them to flourish like Sony does with its studios. I feel like they've been wasting Retro, I pray Monolith doesn't go the same way.

I feel its a bit more on Retro wanting to go more into DK. They apparently wanted to get into the series, leading to DKC Returns.

itsyounghavok said:

To be fair, Metroid Prime was great and nobody, not not even external development leads in Japan, know what they're doing right now. After four years of silence, I imagine their current project is a hit in the making.