By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GPU prices more than double as cryptocurrency craze accelerates

Consoles win again as usual.

Around the Network

If this continues this will pretty much kill PC gaming

Main issue for me right now is ram prices.

4 ≈ One

Slimebeast said:
Azzanation said:
I was thinking about buying another GTX1080 to pair up with my current one.. guess ill wait a little bit longer.

How does SLI work these days though? I read that both Nvidia and AMD silently stopped their support of it and that most developers also don't care to try to make their games take much advantage of two GPUs.

So what can we expect from new and upcoming games in terms of added performance from a second GPU?

Nvidia used to be the "best" when it comes to running more cards, but it fell off.
Today AMD better utilise more than 1 card, but.... because of how much stronger the very top of Nvidia cards are, it doesnt matter.

Like 2 x 580 = ~1 x 1080ti.

GPU prices..... a single 1080ti is like 1,000$+ though.

GPU prices are coming down again... crisis averted for now?

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Nvidia used to be the "best" when it comes to running more cards, but it fell off.
Today AMD better utilise more than 1 card, but.... because of how much stronger the very top of Nvidia cards are, it doesnt matter.

Like 2 x 580 = ~1 x 1080ti.

GPU prices..... a single 1080ti is like 1,000$+ though.

Oh, you mean two x R9 580s in crossfire match the performance of a GTX 1080 Ti.

I first though you meant two GTX 580s in SLI and was going to write that my old GTX 970 already performed much better and probably even a GTX 1050 Ti or GTX 960 or R9 280.

Yeah, SLI/crossfire lost (even more) importance since a GTX 1060 and RX 580 can keep up with a Xbox One X and multiplatform games have to even run on a PS4 or Xbox One.

DakonBlackblade said:
If this continues this will pretty much kill PC gaming

I doubt that.

Already 50 - 60% of the Steam users (140 - 170 million PCs) have hardware that matches or exceeds the performance of a PS4... they should be able to play any 8th gen multiplatform game in decent settings.  

20 - 25% of the Steam users (50 - 70 million PCs) already have hardware that matches or exceeds the performance of a PS4 Pro.

RJ_Sizzle said:

What? I've been dealsearching for months and months for another mid-tier card to upgrade my 280x. There hasn't been jack. I'm just chugging with my 280x for now. I got this card for $120 years and years ago.  Maybe once the 1060 hits $150 but even then, it'd be just as outdated .so why bother?

Megiddo said:
RJ_Sizzle said:

What? I've been dealsearching for months and months for another mid-tier card to upgrade my 280x. There hasn't been jack. I'm just chugging with my 280x for now. I got this card for $120 years and years ago.  Maybe once the 1060 hits $150 but even then, it'd be just as outdated .so why bother?

And your 280x wasn't already outdated when you bought it for $120? Its launch price was $299: https://www.anandtech.com/show/7400/the-radeon-r9-280x-review-feat-asus-xfx

Of course it was outdated. AMD dropped prices quick to try and cut into the midrange tier. The 1060 would be such a minor upgrade that it wouldn't be worth it. There is no value midrange card anymore. That's the problem. I would need to spend the equivalent of a ps4 to see any worthwhile improvement on a 5 year old mid-range GPU. You don't see the issue with that?

Last edited by Megiddo - on 15 April 2018