By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GPU prices more than double as cryptocurrency craze accelerates

Slimebeast said:
This is so annoying. Not only is it hard for a gamer to get hold of a good GPU, but all this mining is such a waste of money and energy for a task that is essentially useless (the artificial calculations needed to uphold cryptocurency security) and that could be solved for a fraction of that cost. Billions of dollars are wasted on useless calculations when it could be used for research or something else that is productive.

Security is essentially useless? That's rich. I do agree too much energy is needed at the moment but that;s going to be fixed in time when proof of work is replaced with proof of stake.

Around the Network

Ok, I'm confused.  I thought this was the kind of tasks that were handled by CPUs.  Why are GPUs much better to do this?

chakkra said:

Ok, I'm confused.  I thought this was the kind of tasks that were handled by CPUs.  Why are GPUs much better to do this?

Because newer coins like Zcash, Monero, Electronium and specialy Etherium have algoritms that were built to prevent special hardware (ASICs) dominating the network.

The good intations behind that was that any one could mine from home with out of the shelf hardware.

They couldn't forsee mining farms cutting the consumers supply of high end GPUs. 

Dark_Feanor said:
chakkra said:

Because newer coins like Zcash, Monero, Electronium and specialy Etherium have algoritms that were built to prevent special hardware (ASICs) dominating the network.

The good intations behind that was that any one could mine from home with out of the shelf hardware.

They couldn't forsee mining farms cutting the consumers supply of high end GPUs. 

I see..

Thanks for the info.

Pemalite said:
John2290 said:

My PC isn't even on par with the ps4 and my laptop, I'd reckon, is not far above the ps4. The PS4 really is the best gaming experience I have so I'll have to wait until this "storm" passes.

My PC exceeded the Playstation 4 years before the Playstation 4 released.
All I did was upgrade my GPU to a Radeon RX 580 before the prices exploded.

This rig is going to be gaming better than consoles for over a decade.

All you did was upgrade to a graphics card that released in 2017? That's what you did before the PS4 released in 2013?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Pemalite said:

My PC exceeded the Playstation 4 years before the Playstation 4 released.
All I did was upgrade my GPU to a Radeon RX 580 before the prices exploded.

This rig is going to be gaming better than consoles for over a decade.

All you did was upgrade to a graphics card that released in 2017? That's what you did before the PS4 released in 2013?

Even before I upgraded my GPU, my PC was pushing past the Playstation 4 before it's release.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Azzanation said:
I was thinking about buying another GTX1080 to pair up with my current one.. guess ill wait a little bit longer.

How does SLI work these days though? I read that both Nvidia and AMD silently stopped their support of it and that most developers also don't care to try to make their games take much advantage of two GPUs.

So what can we expect from new and upcoming games in terms of added performance from a second GPU?

Chrizum said:
Slimebeast said:
This is so annoying. Not only is it hard for a gamer to get hold of a good GPU, but all this mining is such a waste of money and energy for a task that is essentially useless (the artificial calculations needed to uphold cryptocurency security) and that could be solved for a fraction of that cost. Billions of dollars are wasted on useless calculations when it could be used for research or something else that is productive.

Security is essentially useless? That's rich. I do agree too much energy is needed at the moment but that;s going to be fixed in time when proof of work is replaced with proof of stake.

You misunderstood. I obviously don't mean that security is useless. But having a security system where you have millions of GPUs that calculate artificially very complex and extremely computation-heavy calculations is useless and a huge waste of resources, when a similar and a perfectly adequate level of security could be achieved with a regular security system that only requires a few computers.

Just another reason why I still prefer console gaming.

Ruggarell said:
Just another reason why I still prefer console gaming.

Consoles aren't immune to component price increases.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--