By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GPU prices more than double as cryptocurrency craze accelerates

On a related note:

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network
mysteryman said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

That still makes no sense.

Keyboards are used to mine bitcoins, office spaces are used to mine bitcoins, computer screens are used to mine bitcoins...

But you don't see those skyrocketing BECAUSE of bitcoins.

How is the way you use your GPU's even remotely connected to the actual price of the hardware? What people does with the hardware they buy is their business, how is it that from that specific use of GPU's, GPU's manufacturers are like: Oh we heard that you guys are not playing video games with your GPU's, you are mining bitcoins so for no reason LET'S RISE PRICES!

Because instead of buying 1 GPU (or 2-4 for a few crazy enthusiasts), miners were buying 16+ at a time. Supply dropped and demand rose. 

Basic economy 101. 

Hynad said:
mysteryman said:

Because instead of buying 1 GPU (or 2-4 for a few crazy enthusiasts), miners were buying 16+ at a time. Supply dropped and demand rose. 

Basic economy 101. 

The other issue is that... AMD and nVidia didn't wish to increase production to meet demand... Just in-case demand dropped and we had an overabundance of parts.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

CrazyGamer2017 said:
caffeinade said:

GPUs were used to mine crypto.
GPUs were like a pickaxe of something.

The pricing issues have more or less been resolved.

That still makes no sense.

Keyboards are used to mine bitcoins, office spaces are used to mine bitcoins, computer screens are used to mine bitcoins...

But you don't see those skyrocketing BECAUSE of bitcoins.

How is the way you use your GPU's even remotely connected to the actual price of the hardware? What people does with the hardware they buy is their business, how is it that from that specific use of GPU's, GPU's manufacturers are like: Oh we heard that you guys are not playing video games with your GPU's, you are mining bitcoins so for no reason LET'S RISE PRICES!

No: it actually makes perfect sense.

People are making money by using GPUs to mine crypto (GPUs are really good at math).
So they buy GPUs in bulk.
To make more money.
This caused a supply shortage.
Supply shortages lead to higher prices.

A crypto miner doesn't need it's own keyboard.
You can easily cram 1, 2, 3: hell, even 8+ GPUs in a single miner.
You do not need a keyboard or monitor per miner.
Computers can operate without ever needing to display graphics or text.

Keyboards were not used to mine bitcoin (or crypto).
GPUs were, PSUs were.
Both of these parts were in high demand because of this.
When something is in demand, the price generally trends upwards.

Conina said:
DakonBlackblade said:
If this continues this will pretty much kill PC gaming

I doubt that.

Already 50 - 60% of the Steam users (140 - 170 million PCs) have hardware that matches or exceeds the performance of a PS4... they should be able to play any 8th gen multiplatform game in decent settings.  

20 - 25% of the Steam users (50 - 70 million PCs) already have hardware that matches or exceeds the performance of a PS4 Pro.

Aren't the steam stats only about active users? Because you have to accept each time for the steam hardware survey. Given how Steam has a monthly active playerbase at max 100 million (it was 67 million in august 2017, and it likely hasn't grown by 50% since that, it cuts your figures down quite a bit. Not that I agree with this killing PC gaming, but I strongly doubt the figures you're going by here.

Around the Network

I was thinking about getting back into PC gaming myself. Guess I will just stick to consoles for a bit longer.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Pemalite said:
Hynad said:

Basic economy 101. 

The other issue is that... AMD and nVidia didn't wish to increase production to meet demand... Just in-case demand dropped and we had an overabundance of parts.

Makes sense. And with the bubble finally popped, I'm sure quite a few people have gotten out of it, now. Either way, this wouldn't have affected the price of the PS4 or XB2, as it was retailers increasing prices, not AMD. 

thismeintiel said:
Pemalite said:

Makes sense. And with the bubble finally popped, I'm sure quite a few people have gotten out of it, now. Either way, this wouldn't have affected the price of the PS4 or XB2, as it was retailers increasing prices, not AMD. 

Yeah. AMD and nVidia saw minimal benefit from it, their main increase in revenue was actually thanks to higher general volume rather than pricing.

Crypto-Currency itself didn't have any impact on console chip prices because the contracts and production lines were already set in stone.

But what did impact the Playstation 4 and Xbox One to a smaller degree is higher DRAM and NAND costs as it's commodity driven.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--