By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GPU prices more than double as cryptocurrency craze accelerates

Chazore said:
Kerotan said:

Explained what? I've not disagreed with any of this  Seeing as you've stopped going on about that other thing I'll assume you've accepted my response. 

I'm not playing that game kero  

The funny thing is you are. You made false claims about me and when i corrected you, youre now going on like you never did. Last reply from me. Not staying on this goal post merrigoround no more. See you in 5 years when cryptocurrency is a strong as ever. 

Around the Network
RJ_Sizzle said:

Uh oh. Does this mean that game streaming will come faster than we wanted because of component shortages? Maybe this has been in the cards for a while because they say the writing on the wall. Excuse the double idiom there, but these components are poised to start affecting each other soon.

Game Streaming still requires servers to be built with a ton of DRAM and GPU's.

For now though, localized rendering is here to stay, games might just stagnate for awhile as mid-range GPU's like the Radeon RX 580 and Geforce 1060 6GB stop being affordable for mid-range/mainstream gamers... Which means more gamers pick up low-end GPU's like the Geforce 1030/1050, Radeon RX 560/550.

I don't see a massive dumping of GPU's though... We never really saw that the last time this happened where Radeon 7970's were flying off shelves, they pretty much were kept being used until they failed in the hopes that the price will rise making their mined efforts profitable.

haxxiy said:

there could be, and probably will be, at some point , laws to progressively limit the power consumption of any given GPU/CPU to something like 30 - 45 W. It's not that unfeasible, considering it has been done already with goods like lamps and cars almost worldwide and even TVs in some places, and the lower voltage ensures the benefits would remain even if someone were to stack multiple processors to compensate the loss of computing power.

There are already power consumption standards.

The PCI-E slot for instance can supply a maximum of 75w of power.
The 6 PCI-E power cable can supply an extra 75w of power.
The 8-pin PCI-E power cable can supply an extra 150w of power.

That's the maximum draw for each interface.

There is some energy lost during power conversion and delivery to the various components of the GPU that are taken into account, plus extra overhead for things like capacitor aging, overclocking and so on.

With that, the market has applied a ton of pressure on Intel, AMD and nVidia to be more energy conscious, which is how we ended up with the extremely efficient Pascal GPU and Ryzen lineups.
Plus PSU's keep getting more efficient as well.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

iron_megalith said:

Wow. Sorry to hear you got offended. That wasn't even meant to be offensive as CLEARLY there are a lot of people(gamers) bitching about GPU prices.

The """"GAMERS"""" you're talking about also include the miners who most likely just leave those rigs up and running without it even running a single damn game. So yeah true gaming experience there folks.

But yeah I'd advise you cool your jets bro.

Not even mate. Just saying that there are those that are mining that are of enthusiast level, and really, anyone that were to buy one for mining would have reached that level anyway.

The thread was about cryptocurrency, not another attempt at spitting on a group of gamers.

Btw, people can build a mining rig, and still use a totally different rig to game.

Why not cool the sword first?.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Kerotan said:

The funny thing is you are. You made false claims about me and when i corrected you, youre now going on like you never did. Last reply from me. Not staying on this goal post merrigoround no more. See you in 5 years when cryptocurrency is a strong as ever. 

Ah so you got seriously rattled to the core about making a thread on cryptocurrency, without knowing the knock on effect it was going to have on the hardware industry, and to an extent, the PC gaming side of things?.

@bold, Oh you'd love that  

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

The only thing Master about PC is the price. The PC Financial Race

Totally the reason I have all but abandoned if it wasnt for work.

edit: not saying I will not be back... just good stuff right now elsewhere.

Around the Network
LiquorandGunFun said:

There is good stuff everywhere for all sorts of people, myself included.

LiquorandGunFun said:

Yeah console gaming just got far more attractive with this latest development. Crypto aint going anywhere either so neither is this issue. 

Etherium will go proof of stake soon, which won't require mining going foward.

With this, prices should start falling when second hand GPU will start to appear so they can get ROI after the mining segment has ended.

And new coins that will be the trend going foward, should adopt proof of stake also, the proof of work that required mining will soon be gone.

Chazore said:
iron_megalith said:

Wow. Sorry to hear you got offended. That wasn't even meant to be offensive as CLEARLY there are a lot of people(gamers) bitching about GPU prices.

The """"GAMERS"""" you're talking about also include the miners who most likely just leave those rigs up and running without it even running a single damn game. So yeah true gaming experience there folks.

But yeah I'd advise you cool your jets bro.

Not even mate. Just saying that there are those that are mining that are of enthusiast level, and really, anyone that were to buy one for mining would have reached that level anyway.

The thread was about cryptocurrency, not another attempt at spitting on a group of gamers.

Btw, people can build a mining rig, and still use a totally different rig to game.

Why not cool the sword first?.

I'm sorry I didn't tailor that well for your incompetent reading comprehension.

For you to even think I was attacking PC gamers in the first place boggles my mind.

Peace out.

"sold online for $1,350 - more than twice the MSRP of $700"

... Shame.

4 ≈ One