By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GPU prices more than double as cryptocurrency craze accelerates

Crypto went away from GPUs and onto ASICs back in like 2014, and then coins that once again leveraged GPUs came back. Ugh.

I am not opposed to cryptocurrency. At all. But I really think it's distasteful and severely wasteful for this to be a GPU-using business. The wasted electricity and economic waste are astonishing. Outside of a handful of coins which further protein folding simulation and other actually useful things to science and humanity, drawing mass power and heat output from GPU mining is a joke when it's just arbitrary numbers.

If an ASIC can be made to take over Ether/etc, it would be extremely helpful in so, so many ways.

Around the Network
Arkaign said:
Crypto went away from GPUs and onto ASICs back in like 2014, and then coins that once again leveraged GPUs came back. Ugh.

I am not opposed to cryptocurrency. At all. But I really think it's distasteful and severely wasteful for this to be a GPU-using business. The wasted electricity and economic waste are astonishing. Outside of a handful of coins which further protein folding simulation and other actually useful things to science and humanity, drawing mass power and heat output from GPU mining is a joke when it's just arbitrary numbers.

If an ASIC can be made to take over Ether/etc, it would be extremely helpful in so, so many ways.

I wonder when this will start affecting electricity prices. Eventually, crypto-mining, wether GPU-based or ASIC-based will have its margins shaved razor thin, so this particular problem of GPU pricing will be solved, one way or another. But the power issue remains, and indeed, it's a rather wasteful concept in its current form, with the exception of a handful of coins like you say.

EDIT: However there are some things like Proof of Stake that tackles the power issue as well.

Last edited by Teeqoz - on 14 February 2018

Cobretti2 said:
Its silly. They shoudl just invest in the dedicated hardware for it. So much faster.

Many cryptocurrencies are designed with algorithms so that you can't develop dedicated hardware for it. Either the dedicated hardware would barely be more efficient than GPUs already are, or it would just be prohibitively expensive/difficult to develop.

Chazore said:
Kerotan said:

The bubble popped recently but it's stabilising again. It will grow gradually again though. This ain't going away anytime soon  

It's also not going to be around forever either though. 

This is your original post. You telling me you meant this literally instead of it will be gone in a few years?

damn this sucks I was really thinking about upgrading my PC this summer

Around the Network
Kerotan said:

This is your original post. You telling me you meant this literally instead of it will be gone in a few years?

So now we're moving posts already?.

You made this thread to make a bigger deal than it needed be. You want to press this notion that it will be here "forever" and that it'll be a blight to the industry, if not PC gaming as a whole, when in reality it hasn't crushed either the industry or PC gaming.

Just remember, if it becomes too big to contain, it will also affect the console manufacturing process just as much. No one wants to bleed like Sony did last gen, and I suspect that Sony definitely won't want to spend thousands or suffer a limited supply of hardware stock, stock that's being eaten up by GPU miner and consumers alike. 

If it becomes a "big" problem for one platform, it will most definitely become one for another. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Kerotan said:

So now we're moving posts already?.

You made this thread to make a bigger deal than it needed be. You want to press this notion that it will be here "forever" and that it'll be a blight to the industry, if not PC gaming as a whole, when in reality it hasn't crushed either the industry or PC gaming.

Just remember, if it becomes too big to contain, it will also affect the console manufacturing process just as much. No one wants to bleed like Sony did last gen, and I suspect that Sony definitely won't want to spend thousands or suffer a limited supply of hardware stock, stock that's being eaten up by GPU miner and consumers alike. 

If it becomes a "big" problem for one platform, it will most definitely become one for another. 

Just no. I never said this pronlem which currently plagues the pc gaming industry will last forever. I said cryptocurrency ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

Why are you making things up ? 

Kerotan said:

Just no. I never said this pronlem which currently plagues the pc gaming industry will last forever. I said cryptocurrency ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

But you know that it's affecting GPU purchases for regular consumers. The more the mining goes on, the more they buy more GPU's for their mining farms.

It's not even about making things up. It's about cause and reaction.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Chazore said:
Kerotan said:

But you know that it's affecting GPU purchases for regular consumers. The more the mining goes on, the more they buy more GPU's for their mining farms.

It's not even about making things up. It's about cause and reaction.

This is all made up. I never suggested this.. Just stop.

"You made this thread to make a bigger deal than it needed be. You want to press this notion that it will be here "forever" and that it'll be a blight to the industry, if not PC gaming as a whole, when in reality it hasn't crushed either the industry or PC gaming."

Kerotan said:

This is all made up. I never suggested this.. Just stop.

Screaming "just stop" isn't going to do anything.

You know very well that this has a knock on effect to the industry in general. You know it's been raising the prices of GPU hardware and causing issues for consumers in general.