By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GPU prices more than double as cryptocurrency craze accelerates

SvennoJ said:
I wonder if all that mining is representing a significant blip on energy usage by now.

Uhh that doesn't look good
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ywbbpm/bitcoin-mining-electricity-consumption-ethereum-energy-climate-change
One Bitcoin Transaction Now Uses as Much Energy as Your House in a Week

Humans, always finding new interesting ways to waste more energy. True entropists. (should be a word)

We live in a land of contradictions, such large amounts of waste while there are other aspects of mass shortages.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
Look at it this way - Cards are selling like hotcakes right now. At some point, either the bubble will burst, or mining will move on to other equipment. At that point, there will be tons of used cards flooding the market, driving prices down. So, while it makes it difficult to purchase high end cards now, it will put those same cards in the reach of even more people sometime, likely soon.

Hope so, It's long over due I upgraded from my GTX 670. Forza Horizon 3 runs like crap with just 2gb of VRAM.

solidpumar said:
If this trend continue and chip manufacturar ramp up productions, in 5 years when production plateau we will have cheaper cards, the beauty of mass production. The more sales the more the price can go down. Lets just wait 5 years for the factories that are being constructed now get up to full speed.

You say that like waiting 5 years isn't a big deal 

Damn, my 1060 6gb was under 250, although now sold the rig. Not supporting anti-consumerism.

Kerotan said:

The point is obvious. It ain't going away anytime soon.

It's not staying around forever either, hence my point. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
iron_megalith said:
Good thing I don't want to bother with building a rig any time soon. Not till Intel sorts out that Architecture issue with new iterations. So at this point it just sucks for those who really want to build something right now.

Oh man I can just hear the echoing sadness of those snob PC gamers. They've taken such a huge blow one after the other.

Those "snob" PC gamers you're referring to are making more bank than others are are a typical retail job with their mining. Those that can afford high end cards are still going to buy them.

No need to get warrior like in this thread though. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Peh said:
This is madness! Stop the mining!!!!

Why should they stop? Just because some people want to use it for games?

Chazore said:
deskpro2k3 said:
They need to start making dedicated cards for mining only. This way it wont effect gamers.

They already have, it's just that miners are a very greedy bunch and they'll snap up anything and everything. 

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/251725-gpu-manufacturers-building-new-cryptocurrency-specific-mining-cards

Currently there is no law in place to stop retailers from selling to miners more than general consumers. Nvidia has asked some retailers to stop, but in all honesty, why would they stop?, they are the ones making a killing from it, as well asNvidia/AMD. 

You are right, they wouldn't stop anytime soon and for good reason. Not that its morally incorrect to mine with GPU's instead of playing games like many people make it out to be. Neither side has a monopoly on GPU's a consumer decides what to do with their product GPU's not being an exception.

Barkley said:
VAMatt said:
Look at it this way - Cards are selling like hotcakes right now. At some point, either the bubble will burst, or mining will move on to other equipment. At that point, there will be tons of used cards flooding the market, driving prices down. So, while it makes it difficult to purchase high end cards now, it will put those same cards in the reach of even more people sometime, likely soon.

Hope so, It's long over due I upgraded from my GTX 670. Forza Horizon 3 runs like crap with just 2gb of VRAM.

To both of you, mining is a very resource intensive process. Any card used for mining will quickly run out of juice so better to buy a new card.

Chazore said:
Kerotan said:

The point is obvious. It ain't going away anytime soon.

Pretty irrelevant point in the context of the thread. If it lasts 100 years it will be forevor as far as we are concerned. 

Chazore said:
I can't wait to see the bubble pop, and all those who invested into the mining process losing it all.

Good thing I bought my 1080ti when I did, as well as still having my GTX 980/680 cards too.

cryptocurrency isn't ever going away, and if it were in a bubble, it has already popped.  There are people who have lost their life savings/loans they couldn't afford to lose, etc.  There's even been suicides happening.  If your smart with your investments, you're not going to lose it all.  As with anything else, there's going to always be winners a losers, no matter what happens to the price.

So glad I got my GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 on release.  After taxes, it was like 801.  But, that doesn't matter anyway. mining with that card has made me not miss that money at all.

Kerotan said:
Chazore said:

Pretty irrelevant point in the context of the thread. If it lasts 100 years it will be forevor as far as we are concerned. 

Yeah, I get what you're trying to do, but nothing is going to change the outcome either way. it's not going to last forever as hardly anything does on this planet.

Burning Typhoon said:

cryptocurrency isn't ever going away, and if it were in a bubble, it has already popped.  There are people who have lost their life savings/loans they couldn't afford to lose, etc.  There's even been suicides happening.  If your smart with your investments, you're not going to lose it all.  As with anything else, there's going to always be winners a losers, no matter what happens to the price.

So glad I got my GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 on release.  After taxes, it was like 801.  But, that doesn't matter anyway. mining with that card has made me not miss that money at all.

If people play the hot poker game, they will get burned. That's life in general for when you place your bets too high.

I paid £695 for my 1080ti, which was an amazing price at the time. Still got my 980 and 680 too.