By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A Full, Concise Explanation On Bayonetta's Publishing Rights And Long Development.

SegataSanshiro said:
Barkley said:

Why is it that Nintendo gets the final say over Sega if the copyright is shared?

SEGA licensed the IP to Nintendo. Nintendo owns the code for 2 and 3.

They can own the code, but they don't own the brand, as no information on them buying out the entire IP and brand has been clarified. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Chazore said:
SegataSanshiro said:

SEGA licensed the IP to Nintendo. Nintendo owns the code for 2 and 3.

They can own the code, but they don't own the brand, as no information on them buying out the entire IP and brand has been clarified. 

Since they own the code Nintendo decided where Bayonetta 2 and 3 go. Kamiya has said it multiple times. If you want 2 and 3 on Sony or MS systems, Ask Nintendo. You may as well ask for Mario on PS4. Get over it.

SegataSanshiro said: Since they own the code Nintendo decided where Bayonetta 2 and 3 go. Kamiya has said it multiple times. If you want 2 and 3 on Sony or MS systems, Ask Nintendo. You may as well ask for Mario on PS4. Get over it.

I'm over it, and was a long time ago. I'm just trying to clear things up for you, because you seem to greatly misunderstand what ownership of an IP brand truly means. 

Also, the same applies right back at you. No need to beg for other titles, just get the system they are released on, simple as.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Signalstar said:
I think it all goes back to the stupid decision to develop the game on 360. 360 was obviously easier to develop for but this kind of game had limited sales potential as a 360 exclusive. It's obvious why Sega wanted a PS3 version as well but the PS3 port was so shotty that it hurt its sales prospects even though it was on par with 360 sales. Had the PS3 version not sucked sales would have been better and Sega probably would have been in a better position to fund a multiplatform Bayonetta 2. Sega have a great relationship with Nintendo though so it makes sense that they could collaborate on the future IP.

I was thinking the same, developing ps3 focused last gen for the first game would have been great for the IP (having 360 port would have been ok clearly) and sales for future installments on ps4 or multiplatform.

Glad Nintendo invested though, they saved a great IP 

SegataSanshiro said:
vivster said:
And he couldn't have said this before being a complete asshole?
Still an explanation that leaves a lot of things desired. I'd rather he expand on the "Nintendo stepped in" part, because that's the most important thing here. Why Nintendo? Why not someone else? Why exactly at that point in time?

Sony and MS didn't want to fund Bayo 2. Nintendo needed some 3rd party exclusives for Wii U, knowing it would not sell in the millions but hoping it would help rid of the Nintendo is just for casuals rep Wii built. (Also why they funded the failed Devil's Third and even published Ninja Gaiden III on Wii U) . Now that Bayonetta appeared in 4 games on Wii U, Bayo 1, Bayo 2, Wonderful 101 and Smash. This time Nintendo just wanted more Bayo. Someone at Nintendo likes the series and Platinum began making games on Nintendo systems with MadWorld, Infinite space (and Wonderful 101 and Scalebound began as Wii games) Platinum likes working with Nintendo and Nintendo likes working with them. Not a difficult concept to understand.

OTBWY said:
vivster said:
Still an explanation that leaves a lot of things desired. I'd rather he expand on the "Nintendo stepped in" part, because that's the most important thing here. Why Nintendo? Why not someone else? Why exactly at that point in time?

They wanted a big exclusive title for the WiiU. From a third party company. That's the only explanation.

I don't need an explanation why Nintendo wanted it, that's self apparent. The question is why Platinum needed it so badly that it couldn't have been done with any other publisher or at a later date. "They like Nintendo" doesn't seem to be a sufficient explanation since he just explained that they're basically willing to do business with anyone who has money.

It seems Nintendo was just a convenient way to get quick money and so they were fine with compromising on their vision and throwing their fanbase under the bus. I just want to hear that from his mouth. Making a game exclusive to a specific platform is never the best option for any game.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Chazore said:
SegataSanshiro said: Since they own the code Nintendo decided where Bayonetta 2 and 3 go. Kamiya has said it multiple times. If you want 2 and 3 on Sony or MS systems, Ask Nintendo. You may as well ask for Mario on PS4. Get over it.

I'm over it, and was a long time ago. I'm just trying to clear things up for you, because you seem to greatly misunderstand what ownership of an IP brand truly means. 

Also, the same applies right back at you. No need to beg for other titles, just get the system they are released on, simple as.

I don't beg for exclusives. I esp don't beg for games another console maker published. I do buy them on that console. Why I own so many games and systems. I know who owns the IP. Look at my mother fucking name yo. SEGA owns the IP, Nintendo owns the code.  It's a 2 way street. It's likwhow Tecmo owns Fatal Frame but Nintendo owns the code for every game 4 and up.  It's one of the reasons the Goldeneye rights were so complicated. Nintendo nor rare owns James Bond but the rights to the game were split. This isn't about who owns the IP. It's who owns the rights to the code of these games and who decides what consoles they release on and for 2 and 3 that is Nintendo.  You are clearly not over it because you keep entering these threads and bait Switch owners as if it's some horrible thing if they only play on it. You act as if it's some horrible thing Nintendo has some exclusive 3rd party games they decide where it gets ported. You haters ignore the developers and after 6 fucking years, you still want to debate it. So once again get the fuck over it. Don't quote me again as you are on ignore now. 

vivster said:
SegataSanshiro said:

Sony and MS didn't want to fund Bayo 2. Nintendo needed some 3rd party exclusives for Wii U, knowing it would not sell in the millions but hoping it would help rid of the Nintendo is just for casuals rep Wii built. (Also why they funded the failed Devil's Third and even published Ninja Gaiden III on Wii U) . Now that Bayonetta appeared in 4 games on Wii U, Bayo 1, Bayo 2, Wonderful 101 and Smash. This time Nintendo just wanted more Bayo. Someone at Nintendo likes the series and Platinum began making games on Nintendo systems with MadWorld, Infinite space (and Wonderful 101 and Scalebound began as Wii games) Platinum likes working with Nintendo and Nintendo likes working with them. Not a difficult concept to understand.

OTBWY said:

They wanted a big exclusive title for the WiiU. From a third party company. That's the only explanation.

I don't need an explanation why Nintendo wanted it, that's self apparent. The question is why Platinum needed it so badly that it couldn't have been done with any other publisher or at a later date. "They like Nintendo" doesn't seem to be a sufficient explanation since he just explained that they're basically willing to do business with anyone who has money.

It seems Nintendo was just a convenient way to get quick money and so they were fine with compromising on their vision and throwing their fanbase under the bus. I just want to hear that from his mouth. Making a game exclusive to a specific platform is never the best option for any game.

In Bold what a fucking pile of shit comment.

Moderated - think-man. That will be the last we hear from him. 

Last edited by think-man - on 13 February 2018

vivster said:
SegataSanshiro said:

OTBWY said:

Probably Sony and MS weren't interested. They have a lot of games like this one that sell better on their platform, and the first one, while having good critical response, was known to be a mess on the best selling platform.

SpokenTruth said:
vivster said:

Bayo 2 was offered to both Sony and MS plus a few other publishers and they all turned it down.  Nintendo was then approached and they said yes.

Source?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
SegataSanshiro said:

OTBWY said:

They did go to other publishers and they where turned down. They went to Nintendo and they said yes. As for why they didn't put it on the back burner for later; here are numerous examples of games that were put on the the back burner and they turned out badly, or never returned to at all, Duke Nukem and Too Human are prime examples of "over development" because of being done later. When a developer wants to make a game it usually a now or never thing.