Forums - Gaming Discussion - A Full, Concise Explanation On Bayonetta's Publishing Rights And Long Development.

SegataSanshiro said:
vivster said:
And he couldn't have said this before being a complete asshole?
Still an explanation that leaves a lot of things desired. I'd rather he expand on the "Nintendo stepped in" part, because that's the most important thing here. Why Nintendo? Why not someone else? Why exactly at that point in time?

Sony and MS didn't want to fund Bayo 2. Nintendo needed some 3rd party exclusives for Wii U, knowing it would not sell in the millions but hoping it would help rid of the Nintendo is just for casuals rep Wii built. (Also why they funded the failed Devil's Third and even published Ninja Gaiden III on Wii U) . Now that Bayonetta appeared in 4 games on Wii U, Bayo 1, Bayo 2, Wonderful 101 and Smash. This time Nintendo just wanted more Bayo. Someone at Nintendo likes the series and Platinum began making games on Nintendo systems with MadWorld, Infinite space (and Wonderful 101 and Scalebound began as Wii games) Platinum likes working with Nintendo and Nintendo likes working with them. Not a difficult concept to understand.

OTBWY said:
vivster said:
Still an explanation that leaves a lot of things desired. I'd rather he expand on the "Nintendo stepped in" part, because that's the most important thing here. Why Nintendo? Why not someone else? Why exactly at that point in time?

They wanted a big exclusive title for the WiiU. From a third party company. That's the only explanation.

I don't need an explanation why Nintendo wanted it, that's self apparent. The question is why Platinum needed it so badly that it couldn't have been done with any other publisher or at a later date. "They like Nintendo" doesn't seem to be a sufficient explanation since he just explained that they're basically willing to do business with anyone who has money.

It seems Nintendo was just a convenient way to get quick money and so they were fine with compromising on their vision and throwing their fanbase under the bus. I just want to hear that from his mouth. Making a game exclusive to a specific platform is never the best option for any game.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:

Bayo 2 was offered to both Sony and MS plus a few other publishers and they all turned it down.  Nintendo was then approached and they said yes.

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

Chazore said:
SegataSanshiro said: Since they own the code Nintendo decided where Bayonetta 2 and 3 go. Kamiya has said it multiple times. If you want 2 and 3 on Sony or MS systems, Ask Nintendo. You may as well ask for Mario on PS4. Get over it.

I'm over it, and was a long time ago. I'm just trying to clear things up for you, because you seem to greatly misunderstand what ownership of an IP brand truly means. 

Also, the same applies right back at you. No need to beg for other titles, just get the system they are released on, simple as.

I don't beg for exclusives. I esp don't beg for games another console maker published. I do buy them on that console. Why I own so many games and systems. I know who owns the IP. Look at my mother fucking name yo. SEGA owns the IP, Nintendo owns the code.  It's a 2 way street. It's likwhow Tecmo owns Fatal Frame but Nintendo owns the code for every game 4 and up.  It's one of the reasons the Goldeneye rights were so complicated. Nintendo nor rare owns James Bond but the rights to the game were split. This isn't about who owns the IP. It's who owns the rights to the code of these games and who decides what consoles they release on and for 2 and 3 that is Nintendo.  You are clearly not over it because you keep entering these threads and bait Switch owners as if it's some horrible thing if they only play on it. You act as if it's some horrible thing Nintendo has some exclusive 3rd party games they decide where it gets ported. You haters ignore the developers and after 6 fucking years, you still want to debate it. So once again get the fuck over it. Don't quote me again as you are on ignore now. 

vivster said:
SegataSanshiro said:

Sony and MS didn't want to fund Bayo 2. Nintendo needed some 3rd party exclusives for Wii U, knowing it would not sell in the millions but hoping it would help rid of the Nintendo is just for casuals rep Wii built. (Also why they funded the failed Devil's Third and even published Ninja Gaiden III on Wii U) . Now that Bayonetta appeared in 4 games on Wii U, Bayo 1, Bayo 2, Wonderful 101 and Smash. This time Nintendo just wanted more Bayo. Someone at Nintendo likes the series and Platinum began making games on Nintendo systems with MadWorld, Infinite space (and Wonderful 101 and Scalebound began as Wii games) Platinum likes working with Nintendo and Nintendo likes working with them. Not a difficult concept to understand.

OTBWY said:

They wanted a big exclusive title for the WiiU. From a third party company. That's the only explanation.

I don't need an explanation why Nintendo wanted it, that's self apparent. The question is why Platinum needed it so badly that it couldn't have been done with any other publisher or at a later date. "They like Nintendo" doesn't seem to be a sufficient explanation since he just explained that they're basically willing to do business with anyone who has money.

It seems Nintendo was just a convenient way to get quick money and so they were fine with compromising on their vision and throwing their fanbase under the bus. I just want to hear that from his mouth. Making a game exclusive to a specific platform is never the best option for any game.

In Bold what a fucking pile of shit comment.

Moderated - think-man. That will be the last we hear from him. 

Last edited by think-man - on 13 February 2018

vivster said:
SegataSanshiro said:

OTBWY said:

Probably Sony and MS weren't interested. They have a lot of games like this one that sell better on their platform, and the first one, while having good critical response, was known to be a mess on the best selling platform.

Around the Network
vivster said: 

Nintendo was basically the last company Platinum was considering. Sega didn't want to fund Bayonetta 2 on their own, neither Sony or Microsoft wanted to fund it. Platinum was at the point where either Nintendo got the copyright or no sequel could be made. Since Kamiya is passionate about his games, being able to make a sequel is preferable to not being able to make one.

By the way, throwing a fanbase under the bus means to turn down the only option for a sequel for a petty reason, so exactly the opposite of what you insinuate.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

SpokenTruth said:
vivster said:

Bayo 2 was offered to both Sony and MS plus a few other publishers and they all turned it down.  Nintendo was then approached and they said yes.

Source?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
SegataSanshiro said:

OTBWY said:

They did go to other publishers and they where turned down. They went to Nintendo and they said yes. As for why they didn't put it on the back burner for later; here are numerous examples of games that were put on the the back burner and they turned out badly, or never returned to at all, Duke Nukem and Too Human are prime examples of "over development" because of being done later. When a developer wants to make a game it usually a now or never thing.

vivster said:
SpokenTruth said:

Source?

Go read Kamiya tweets in 2012-2013. Do your own homework. You have had 6 damn years to find this info yourself. So do it.

RolStoppable said:
vivster said: 

Nintendo was basically the last company Platinum was considering. Sega didn't want to fund Bayonetta 2 on their own, neither Sony or Microsoft wanted to fund it. Platinum was at the point where either Nintendo got the copyright or no sequel could be made. Since Kamiya is passionate about his games, being able to make a sequel is preferable to not being able to make one.

By the way, throwing a fanbase under the bus means to turn down the only option for a sequel for a petty reason, so exactly the opposite of what you insinuate.

I'm still waiting if someone can provide a source of which publishers they exactly approached. I heard something of Sony and Microsoft but I don't know about other publishers. I will concede that point if someone finds a reliable source for that. If they really approached a number of other publishers before they saw themselves forced to go with Nintendo, that's fair game.

Though it does not really explain why it had to be done at that point and couldn't wait until they find a better offer. It's not like IPs suddenly evaporate if you don't make games for them in 3 years.

That's also where my comment about throwing their fans under the bus comes from. I believe the majority of fans would have been happy to wait for a sequel if that had meant being able to enjoy the game on more platforms than some very specific ones. How is going for Nintendo the only option forever? Some games have to be pitched 20 times over years to be greenlit by publishers.

I don't buy this "Nintendo saved Bayonetta" crap as if the IP was at any point in danger of dying. It's a cult hit, you can pick that up whenever you like.