By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hawaii moves to ban the sale of games containing loot boxes to people under 21, big red label on all boxes

Cloudman said:
cycycychris said:

I wouldn't say "by accident" since its no accident. The loot boxes are designed to get a kid hooked and senselessly spend money. The people who end up spending a lot of the money fell into the trap and most would be too embarrassed to admit it.

Do kids buy loot boxes? I don't hear that case too often. I wanna know how they get the funds to do so as well...

On the PS4 my credit card is linked to my PS+ account, all one of the kids would have to do is hop on my account.  Same with Vudu and Prime Video.

Edit: as for the OP I don't think it is a half bad idea

Around the Network
cycycychris said:
Cloudman said:

Do kids buy loot boxes? I don't hear that case too often. I wanna know how they get the funds to do so as well...

There is no true way to tell who buys them, only the publisher really has that info, and they don't want us to know. But there is a lot of ways kids can get the money. They got those Xbox live cards at every store now, bring your little devil with you every-time you go shopping and he'll probably beg you to buy it.

Of course the market for loot boxes are broad, and its a concept that uses addiction to its advantage.

Oh yeah, I forgot you can use those shop cards to get money. Yeah, that would be easier to get money for lootboxes.

Either way, I wouldn't be so against this. I don't really like microtransactions in full price games.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

monocle_layton said:
jason1637 said:

The government is controlling how you spend your money? No thank you.

...That's completely incorrect.

They aren't 'controlling' your money. They still allow microtransactions but make companies state the odds of randomly generated results (loot boxes and whatnot) and place limits to prevent addictions or whales from being common. 

This isn't 1984 - we aren't going to die because Japan realizes how dangerous microtransactions are.

I like the part of them releasing the odds like they do in China but I'm not very fond of this part of your post.

"For example, a game will have 5000 'points' that you can use to buy microtransactions with. Once you spend the equivalent of X points (typically hovering around equal values), then you have to wait until the beginning of the next month."

just had a glance at this, but if that starts to roll out it would be fantastic.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

The_Yoda said:
Cloudman said:

On the PS4 my credit card is linked to my PS+ account, all one of the kids would have to do is hop on my account.  Same with Vudu and Prime Video.

Ah, yeah, I can see how kids could easily start spending money on loot boxes without possibly knowing.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
Cloudman said:
The_Yoda said:

Ah, yeah, I can see how kids could easily start spending money on loot boxes without possibly knowing.

I had to put a pass code on my profile to keep the 9 year old off my game saves and out of the PS store.  Each kid has their own profile, I knew better but some parents could get stuck with a very large bill to learn that lesson.

jason1637 said:
monocle_layton said:

...That's completely incorrect.

They aren't 'controlling' your money. They still allow microtransactions but make companies state the odds of randomly generated results (loot boxes and whatnot) and place limits to prevent addictions or whales from being common. 

This isn't 1984 - we aren't going to die because Japan realizes how dangerous microtransactions are.

I like the part of them releasing the odds like they do in China but I'm not very fond of this part of your post.

"For example, a game will have 5000 'points' that you can use to buy microtransactions with. Once you spend the equivalent of X points (typically hovering around equal values), then you have to wait until the beginning of the next month."

I get your concern, but in all honesty I think it's a necessary evil. it's not like they're putting an extremely low limit. I have Pokemon Shuffle on my phone and the limit is 1000 I believe. They make 1 gem = 12 points, and most expensive package is 75 gems. 

The app also states clearly in the beginning you can play for free. Japan doesn't mess around, and honestly I think it's something more countries should do. Too many people are easily manipulated and I'd rather see governments put a reasonable limit versus companies screwing over people bad with money. 

The_Yoda said:
Cloudman said:

I had to put a pass code on my profile to keep the 9 year old off my game saves and out of the PS store.  Each kid has their own profile, I knew better but some parents could get stuck with a very large bill to learn that lesson.

Yeah, I've heard that horror story from news sources a few times before.

Dance my pretties!

And the industry only has themselves to blame for this, they could of started self regulating but no they just went too far and this is the result of their failure to keep themselves in check.

That's stupid. The people who are suffering most of this are the ones above 21 who are able to pay too much and go into a spiral of gambling and self destruction. Kids do it once and then get a slap on their wrist from their parents and even learn a valuable lesson. There are already plenty of safeguards in place for kids not to spend money. An age restriction will do nothing and maybe make it even worse. They're gonna find a way to get the game anyway and are getting desensitized to crime in the process. It's probably the worst thing they could've done.

If they really are serious about gambling then they should either ban it completely or put as many safe guards in the way as possible. Age restrictions on video games are no safeguards.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.