By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamers with GF's...or wives even.

Oh wow, I can't believe I'll be saying this but I may have to get rid of my PS4 pro, err....no wait! Not get rid of it, just basically give up playing games on it and go back to playing the PS3 lol which is in my bedroom.

Basically, my gf is jealous of me playing the PS4. 

Here's the deal:

We recently moved in to a 2-bedroom apartment. Been living together now already for 9 months. We decided to go 2 bedroom so if we decide to want our alone time occasionally we can have our own room still. Which is cool. So yeah, I basically have the PS3 in my room hooked to a small tv and my stereo for music listening, etc. We have a pretty cool setup. The PS4 is in the living room hooked up to the 4K 55' tv.

Anyway, it seems my gf who was SO opposed to the PS4 at first isn't so opposed anymore. In fact, it's basically HER PS4 now lol. She cannot get off YOUTUBE and watching all her girly shit on there. So much so, well...I basically don't use it. Well, I'll just be watching all HER stuff while we chill together. And when I even just bring up the fact I want to play something for just an hour even, she actually gets all irritated. I'm sure most people will know what I'm talking about here...like, she'll go with it but make you feel guilty for taking over.

I can't believe I'm writing this but I'd never even imagine something like this becoming an issue. I feel awkward even posting this but I have to know how others handle this kind of situation. Is it my gf??? Is it ME??? Are others dealing with similar issues?

I mean, I just got Shadow of the Colossus lol and I barely even touched it. She doesn't even care that games are a part of who I am. She doesn't get it at all. We recently had a big argument over this and well...maybe I should find another gf???

Any advice?

Around the Network

For any relationship to last each side must be willing to make compromises.

I am 39, married 17 years and a huge gamer. I have two Daughters as well.

You have many options, but here are a few that might work.

Talk about how you feel about the current situation and see if she will make adjustments to her time in the living room.

Make a schedule that builds in PS4 her time and PS4 your time, or better yet, PS4 together time.

Discuss a couples purchase of another Pro, one that is both of yours. Place that one in the living room and take yours back and have it in your room. That way if she crashed out in bed and you want to stay up and play a bit you can.

All of the success I have had regarding gaming has been built around communication and comprimise. If you are both willing the relationship will last.

TheTruthHurts! said:

Talk about how you feel about the current situation and see if she will make adjustments to her time in the living room.

Make a schedule that builds in PS4 her time and PS4 your time, or better yet, PS4 together time.

Discuss a couples purchase of another Pro, one that is both of yours. Place that one in the living room and take yours back and have it in your room. That way if she crashed out in bed and you want to stay up and play a bit you can.

All of the success I have had regarding gaming has been built around communication and comprimise. If you are both willing the relationship will last.

Being happily married since 2007 I totally agree to this comment. 

TheTruthHurts! said:

Hey man, I strongly appreciate the advice and I thank you for taking the time to reply. I will have another talk with her and see if we can reach some kind of solution. I like the 2nd PS4 pro thing. I mentioned this before actually but she didn't like the idea mainly because she knows how expensive it is and thought she might have to pay herself. But if we split it may not be so bad.

Communication and compromise...so true! This would be easier if she would leave the house more often lol. She's a bit lazy outside of work. I mean, I have other hobbies and passions. Like cycling (she doesn't even do that with me) or going to the gym (which she doesn't do either lol). So yeah, it makes it difficult that I never even have the apartment to myself...ever. It's winter now and she doesn't even drive. 

Hopefully some sort of understanding comes together with all this. Because, I'd never want to give up gaming. It's a part of me like anything you grow up with. I couldn't give it up if I tried. Why should anyone give up something they love to do?

Why not trade location of ps4 and ps3?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Well, my girlfriend isn't a fan of me watching foitball lr gaming, but she learned to give me that space even if she still complains a bit. Bad thing is that in your case she took your ps4.

I'd just tell her "I have something important to play, it's my turn to use it", she should understand I guess. I usually tell her to not bother me while watching football or doing some gaming, and she does other stuff in the meantime. Everyone needs theur own space for their hobbies

TheTruthHurts! said:

THIS RIGHT HERE!!! I've been married for almost 12 years with 3 children. Compromise is one of the many things we do in marriage. Both that and communication. Spot on!!!!

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Anyone telling you to make a schedule is crazy. In practice you would just seem controlling and patronizing. I don’t know a single person (man or woman) who wouldn’t be peeved at hubby making a playtime schedule. Just tell her how you feel. You don’t need to schedule something as silly as “play time.” Better yet though, just buy another ps4 and avoid any confrontation at all. That’s the easiest solution tbh.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Don't waste your money on a second PS4.
This is a classic shit test, which you are failing by the way .
It's simple. After nine months, she thinks she can now make a move on your free time and needs. She's dropping her guard and making her move.
It's not logical by the way, but it is often true. She's really bored and likes some drama. But it's okay, just give it to her.

Just say no, and tell her she can play when you're done with the PS4. If she doesn't like it, then ignore her or tell her to leave. Hint: she won't.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

If these are your biggest problems, you have no problem.