By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - MyNintendo Golden Points now usable on the Switch.

Tagged games:

Have you used your MyNintendo points since launch?

Yes, I kep getting cool stuff from them. 3 15.00%

I barely touched them since its launch. 5 25.00%

I don't use them at all. 8 40.00%

MyNintendo has points? 4 20.00%

Total:20

I've got 656 Gold Points that don't start expiring until April.
Hope I can get something damn good for that.

Around the Network

It seems that we disagree on what the definition of "now" is.

I havent even bothered with Nintendo Points as they've been utterly useless imo

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

StarDoor said:
It seems that we disagree on what the definition of "now" is.

I was just about to say the same thing. Thread title says now, OP says next month lol

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

RolStoppable said:
Mar1217 said:

Wait ... I can do that ?!

My fault then ... I didn't give it a proper read. What's the conversion rate of your Golds to Dollar ?

1 gold coin = 1 cent

This means that the value of gold coins is significantly lower than before. Previously 1 gold coin was worth roughly 10 cent, but the value could differ based on the offers on My Nintendo.

What also changes is how many gold coins you earn. Previously gold coins were handed out in tiers (e.g. none for games that were priced $4.99 or lower, 10 gold coins for games that fell into the range of $5.00-9.99), now the amount scales directly to how much you spend. You get 5% worth of gold coins for digital purchases, so if you spend $10, you will get 50 gold coins. If you register a retail game (i.e. a Switch game card) to My Nintendo, you will only get 1% worth of gold coins. Unsurprisingly, Nintendo gives an incentive to go all-digital with game purchases.

The My Nintendo website still has a "Coming soon" tab for Switch rewards, so there might be special offers where the trade-in value for gold coins is higher. Otherwise, you can spend gold coins on any eShop purchase you make, so you'll either get a discount or an entirely free game/DLC.

In summary:

Pro: Gold coins are now valuable at all times. There's no need to wait and rely on Nintendo's offers anymore.
Con: Gold coins that were amassed through Wii U and 3DS eShop purchases lost a lot of their value, so the transitional period is being handled poorly, unless Nintendo surprises us with a bonus.

EDIT: Previous purchases that were made on the Switch eShop also fall into the Con category. Same thing holds true for registering Switch game cards which only netted 10-16 coins when the new 1% rule will actually grant 60 gold coins for a $60 game.

Just to make sure i understand.

Gold Coins are worth less now but you get alot more coins for each purchase?

So overall it kinda evens out?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I knew not redeeming my physical purchases was a good idea! Otherwise they would expire by then. I will probably use the coins to buy kamiko.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

About damn time! Still seems worse than Club Nintendo, but it's better than literally nothing. Maybe I'll actually cash in on all my physical games soon.

Meh. It's not anything to write home about. I may use it for stuff I want digitally, but for retail Amazon would still be a better option.

It seems like they should make it so that the coins last for a year starting from March 2018, so it at least gives people some time (or the best option, just make them not expire in the first place...)

Medisti said:
I haven't logged into My Nintendo in a year, since the Switch launched. 972 gold coins. Going Digital has another perk, I guess.

you might want to check if they are going to expire soon, it's been almost a year from most peoples biggest Nintendo purchases.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive