By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Savage says: Oil for War.

http://www.michaelsavage.com/oilforwar.html

OIL FOR WAR

By Michael Savage

For years, I have been calling for Iraq to pay us back for the cost of liberating them from the torture chambers of Saddam Hussein. Iraq's sustainable oil production capacity is almost 3 million barrels per day. The earth beneath Iraqi sands holds more than 112 billion barrels of oil – the world's second largest proven reserves – and unexplored regions could yield an additional 100 billion barrels, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. Iraq also contains 110 trillion cubic feet of natural gas. And yet this war has nearly bankrupted our treasury.

I was surprised to hear Senator Carl Levin, a Democrat from Michigan, call for this very idea at the Petraeus hearings this week he said, "We need to put continuous and increasing pressure on the Iraqis to settle their political differences, to pay for their own reconstruction with their oil windfalls, and to take the lead in conducting military operations."

It is fascinating to hear a liberal congressman repeat my idea while the so-called "conservatives", the Whig Party of our time, the Republicans continue to pump money from American taxpayers to support this unpopular war instead of pumping Iraqi oil. We have spent 500 billion, half a trillion dollars so far on making the Sunni triangle safe for democracy, but it hasn't even kept our own Marines safe from prosecution. The month that President Bush was sworn into office, gas was $1.40 a gallon. This week, gas is averaging $3.30 a gallon, and near $5 a gallon in Los Angeles. Two dollars a gallon more for the war on terror! Make the Iraqis foot the bill for their own liberation!

When the Republican Party stops depleting the tax base for this endless war, Iraq's oil can be used to rebuild their country and pay us back. Now it is time for the 24 million liberated Iraqis to pay back their liberators. With the one resource they have – oil.

They have plenty of oil, so why not let them pay us back for the debt we have incurred from this war? Wars are expensive and this one is no different. Once we are paid back, we don't accept any more though (Like Iraq would allow that). What do you guys think? I happen to agree with him on most points. Don't flame me too hard plz.

Around the Network

Yeah Iraq! It's about time you payed U.S. back for invading your country. Outright chaos doesn't come cheap you know.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Comments like these are the reason I no longer listen to Savage. The invasion of Iraq was done to protect the US from the precieved threat posed by Sadaam. The action was taken by the US for the US' best interest. To try to package that and sell it to the Iraqi's as a service rendered to them is wrong. If the Iraqi's want to show appreciaiton they should shape up and take control of their own country.

Also Savage is truly an idiot. Is he actually suprised to hear a Democrat make a demand for money that they have no right to? That is the definition of Democrat.

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

I've always thought that the Iraq war started only to protect USA's interests, not the ones from the Iraqui people and for that ... i don't think a US senator is in the right to ask for something from Iraq... i mean the country is in total chaos. ( but i won't say that they are in a worst situation than when Saddam was in charge :P )
I'll just say that ... if you broke it ... fix it ...
USA has the country in chaos .... well it's their responsability to fix that then, even though the Iraqui government should help too, only for the sake of their country...

-- Live only for tomorrow, and you will have a lot of empty yesterdays today--

Tavin:  "Old school megaman is THE BEST megaman"      courtesy of fkusumot :)

My mind has changed. My strength has not.    Kamahl, Fist of Krosa

stof said:
Yeah Iraq! It's about time you payed U.S. back for invading your country. Outright chaos doesn't come cheap you know.

right now.. this is needed.... the unemployment rates are growing due to people not being able to afford going to work.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Well since our government is going broke, and that is part of the reason for the financial crunch today, he makes a point. I agree that we took Sadaam out and the world is better for it, and that we did it for the right reasons at the time. But Bush and his entire administration never seemed to have a good strategy for after we took Sadaam out.

I do not agree with Carl Levin nearly any other time, but he never called for Iraq to pay us back. All he said was they should get their act together (that is a laugh though since the US can't get its act together either...) and pay for their own military operations and reconstruction.

The main reason Savage calls for this is simply because America's dollar is crap, and why? We are broke, so far in debt that we are on our N'th mortgage on the future of our country. Why shouldn't they take over the cost of the reconstruction and military operations and possibly pay us their security. I mean we are acting in the role of bodyguard/babysitter now. We did the right thing taking him out, but now we are not in a position to pay for anything.

All this and Bush proposed a 3 TRILLION dollar federal budget!!! This article is not meant as a shot against the Iraq war, but against the excess of the Federal Government. They spend so much that we are taxed out the ears and we are wondering why we are headed for a recession.... Everything is tied together in some way.

luinil said:
They have plenty of oil, so why not let them pay us back for the debt we have incurred from this war? Wars are expensive and this one is no different. Once we are paid back, we don't accept any more though (Like Iraq would allow that). What do you guys think? I happen to agree with him on most points. Don't flame me too hard plz.

No one asked us (the USA) to invade Iraq. We invaded Iraq, in defiance of the United Nations, because we suspected Saddam Hussein of having weapons of mass destruction (biological and/or nuclear), or of actively working to develop them (http://www.state.gov/secretary/former/powell/remarks/2003/17300.htm). We now know that he did not have such weapons, nor was he actively developing them (http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2004-10-06-wmd_x.htm).

The results of our invasion and occupation of Iraq have included (a) somewhere between 500,000 and 1,000,000 Iraqi civilian deaths, (b) about 2 million Iraqi civilians who have fled the country, (c ) a shortage of approximately 65,000 hospital beds in Iraq, and (d) an impending (or already underway) Iraqi civil war (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_conflict_in_Iraq_since_2003). Most Iraqis disagree with the claim that their life is better now than it was under Saddam Hussein (http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2954716).

Given all of that, I don't see why the Iraqi people owe us any money. I do, however, see why WE owe THEM an awful lot.

stof said:

How unfair of them to do so ...is the US killing for nothing ? Pay the men for their work right now ! :P

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I don't even want to bother responding to the original post or the original link...I just say....

pbbbbt.

Note: I never said they owed us anything. If you got that impression, sorry. I mean that since we are supposedly helping them why not get paid for doing so? I will not go into the reasons why we invaded to begin with, since as of the moment we invaded, they are moot. Now that we are there, do we keep racking up the debt and send our economy into a deep recession, or have them help us out by letting them pay for their own reconstruction? Since we are paying for their reconstruction now, why not have them pay us while we are helping them build their country up? That is my only question.