By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Savage says: Oil for War.

I'm happy to see so many Americans in this thread laughing at this guy. Sometimes we Europeans read stuff from guys like him, and can't help but fear that everyone on your side of the Atlantic are like him.

You guys help me sleep at night.

Around the Network
luinil said:
Legend11 the problem is that they haven't paid for ANY of it so far it would seem. We are pumping money over there and are going broke because of it. They should pick up the costs for the reconstruction and if we are helping they should pay for the service. Sadaam wouldn't allow free-inspections of suspected sites, sounds fishy.... Even after ~34 UN resolutions he defied the UN inspectors and never let them have free access to anything.

The intelligence was wrong it seems. However everything is 20/20 in hindsight. Everyone thought that they had WMDs, even Hillary Clinton made the case for invading Iraq on that intelligence. She then bragged when we caught Sadaam, and is not trying to distance herself from her vote. Was she lying or just mistaken?

I truly don't care too much if they pay us back, but for God's sake, stop having our money wasted over there! We can't afford it, and the weakened dollar is proof. We spend so much money at the Federal Level that it is disgusting. Small government and small Federal Spending I say.

If someone blew up your house based on a claim that was later found to be false do you think you should be the one responsible to pay to rebuild it?  How much of the cost do you think you should be responsible for?  Does it matter how many people believed the person's false claim?

The country is in better shape based on infrastructure than it was when Sadaam was still in power. We as America have a tendency to break something not so great, and rebuild it to something that is MUCH better than what we broke. Look at Germany and Japan especially. Even South Korea was helped out by us. All of them are in better shape than if they hadn't gone to war with us. Don't say that I think War is good. War is hell, but the result of it allows for rebuilding.

I would argue that today they are back to a level that would equal what they had beforehand. Why shouldn't they take over now?

luinil said:
The country is in better shape based on infrastructure than it was when Sadaam was still in power.

I would argue that today they are back to a level that would equal what they had beforehand.

By the end of 2007, attacks against occupation forces decreased substantially, but still number more than 2,000 monthly. Iraqi infrastructure, like supply of potable water and electricity are improving, but remain below pre-invasion levels. Similarly with jobs and oil exports. Unemployment, according to the Iraqi government, ranges between 60-70 percent.

An Oxfam International report released in July says 70 percent of Iraqis lack access to safe drinking water, and 43 percent live on less than a dollar a day. The report also states that eight million Iraqis are in need of emergency assistance.

"Iraqis are suffering from a growing lack of food, shelter, water and sanitation, healthcare, education, and employment," the report says. "Of the four million Iraqis who are dependent on food assistance, only 60 percent currently have access to rations through the government-run Public Distribution System (PDS), down from 96 percent in 2004."

Nearly 10 million people depend on the fragile rationing system. In December, the Iraqi government announced it would cut the number of items in the food ration from ten to five due to "insufficient funds and spiralling inflation." The inflation rate is officially said to be around 70 percent.

The cuts are to be introduced in the beginning of 2008, and have led to warnings of social unrest if measures are not taken to address rising poverty and unemployment.

Iraq's children continue to suffer most. Child malnutrition rates have increased from 19 percent during the economic sanctions period prior to the invasion, to 28 percent today.

The full article: http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=40637

4 months old news. Anything more recent? ~_~?

Around the Network
luinil said:
4 months old news. Anything more recent? ~_~?

Are you kidding me? You are the one who made the claim that Iraq's infrastructure is currently in better shape than it was before the US invasion. You have provided no evidence to support that claim. None.

Instead of dismissing my contrary evidence because it is a couple of months old, please provide some evidence to support your claim. Anything from the past 5 years would be a start.

Here's the problem. They've already paid for it. They've paid for it far more than any other country including the United States. They've paid for it with their infrastructure, their economy and their lives. The only thing that the United States is owed from this little endeavor is a war crimes tribunal.

And now I run away!

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Little thing id like to point out, im not getting involved in the disscussion.

Democrats accused Republicans of going into Iraq for oil and yet not Democrats are saying we should get a lot of the oil revenue to fund the operation.

"Like you know"

Ironic isn't it? Makes you wonder how much oil we have been getting from Iraq all these years, doesn't it?

@luinil

Did you ever find any evidence to support your claim that Iraq's infrastructure is better now than it was before the US invasion?