By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SOTC vs BOTW - Which is graphically more impressive?

Which is graphically more impressive?

Zelda 49 41.88%

Shadow 68 58.12%

Total:117
Vodacixi said:

Zelda, obviously. Shadow of the Colossus is a PS2 game. Is not a fair comparison.

Oh, you mean the PS4 remaster? SotC, obviously. It's a PS4 game. It's not a fair comparison either.

You win the thread.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
potato_hamster said:

Why don't I like the art style? Because liking a style is a matter of preference. I tend to not prefer any game that relies heavily on cel shading. It's not just Zelda, it's games like Jet Grind Radio, Gravity Rush, or Okami. It's incredibly offputting for me. I've never spent more than an hour playing any of those games mostly because they look so bad to me.

That's not to say that I can't stand games with a distinct art style, I mean I've put like 40+ hours into Breath of the Wild. It's just the cel shading.

Breath of the Wild has cel-shading..?

I'll be damned. It appears my dislike of cel-shading is more complicated than I thought.

quickrick said:
Kyuu said:
If this is purely about the technical aspect, then your thread is pointless Kerotan. SotC curbstomps.

If you're taking into account art style, then it gets subjective. And subjective here means "Most Nintendo fans choose BoTW and Sony fans SotC"

I haven't yet played BoTW or SotC remake. But SotC on PS2 is arguably the most mindblowing experience I've had in a video game. I didn't think PS2 was capable of running such a technically demanding game. I mean look at these for god's sake (If you're not too spoiler sensitive):

5th Colossus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfE5gNngVSI&t=375s
(6:15-8:00)

Final Colossus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3ZGu4bRgUI&t=515s
(8:32-9:13)

Tell me how that isn't absurd!! From physics to animations, draw distance and sense of scale, to lighting solutions and particle effects. SoTC was totally off the charts considering the hardware it was made for.

As sad as this thread is, it actually sadder that some people think zelda is more technically impressive, i mean wow.

You are so desperate.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

People saying SOTC was beyond PS2's capability in their minds must have never played God of War 2.

mZuzek said:
GOWTLOZ said:
People saying SOTC was beyond PS2's capability in their minds must have never played God of War 2.

I think it's just down to people choosing to remember good games only.

You're right, God of War 2 is a masterpiece. SOTC is just good.

Around the Network
Peh said:
Why is a visual comparision necessary? Does it make one game inferior to the other one?

Gameplay wise or enjoyment wise? maybe not.

Graphically yes.

I like BotW art direction more, but straight up graphics, of course SOTC is better

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

GOWTLOZ said:

People saying it have 0 sense, since if it was beyond system capability it wouldn't run.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Kerotan said:

Pretty simple really. In the graphics department which game is more impressive? 

Artstyle both have their pros and cons, graphically speaking, on a spec level, SotC by a mile and a half. Everything seems low RES in BotW.

mZuzek said:
Spindel said:

SotC has held up so good they had to re-make it...

...oh wait!

So you admit Wind Waker didn't hold up well? They remade it, so that necessarily means the original was outdated, right?

Come on dude, needless remakes happen all the time and Shadow of the Colossus was always one of them. Though of course, it's great that it happened.

I can only wish Nintendo would give this type of full-on remake to some of their games such as Twilight Princess or Metroid Prime Trilogy, rather than always just doing lazy HD remasters.

Since they changed a key aspect of the game to make it less tedious, yes WW didn’t hold up really that well gameplay wise. Graphically I would argue that the changes are minor and mainly consist of a resolution bump.